Batteries And Heat

Metalstar

Still Fresh
Hi all

I've had my GP2x for a few days now.

At first the fact that my new rechargables (Energizer 2500mah + the 2500mah's that come with the system) werent lasting very long, wasnt worrying me as I know they need a few cycles. I'm beginning to think something is wrong though.

I have charged the batteries in the engergizer charger (slow charger then goes into trickle charge mode) and they have quickly been depleted by the GP2X, but they dont seem to be getting any better, i get maybe 20mins out of them if I am lucky.

Also the back of the gp2x against my right hand gets pretty warm with batteries in, but not with the AC adapter. is this normal, the batteries are also pretty warm if i take them out just after use.

Sorry to be a pain! but do you think there is an issue here or have i just been incredibly unlucky and got 2 sets of duff batteries?

thanks in advance

I say you need to charge them up higher (get a faster charger). Yes it is normal for them to get a little hot.

Its normal for the batteries to become warm the more current you draw from them, and the gp2x is a particularly high current device.

Also, If your going to fast charge, you should watch the coulometric charging efficiency of the battery. The faster you charge, it changes the amount of amps you have to put into the battery to get a percentage of it back out when you place the battery in the gp2x. Also, as soon as the battery is "cooked", oxygen starts to form at the electrode, and creates a chemical reaction at the catalyst, creating heat. The battery should stop being charged at this point, otherwise it will become damaged.

Slow chargers are normally the best, and ensure the battery lasts the longest amount of time possible (as the battery can protect itself if it becomes overcharged).

How long are you leaving them in the charger? Since your batteries are 2500mAh, then they should be charged at 250mA (10% of 2500mAh) for 14-15 hours to get the best results (assuming a coulometric charging efficiency of 66.66%, which is the norm.)

Thanks for the replies.

I am using a slow charger, i usually leave them for 12hours or so, usually a bit longer. My charger auto switches to trickle charging after 12 hrs.

I dont seem to get the rainbow effect when my batteries die, the screen stays as it is unless i'm watching video.

The system runs fine with the adapter.

Metalstar posted on Mar 11 2007 at 01:27 AM said:
Thanks for the replies.

I am using a slow charger, i usually leave them for 12hours or so, usually a bit longer. My charger auto switches to trickle charging after 12 hrs.

I dont seem to get the rainbow effect when my batteries die, the screen stays as it is unless i'm watching video.

The system runs fine with the adapter.

Could it just be crashing due to overclocking too high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlikely,
My bet would be on a old/cheap/defective charger, a good charger can make a hell off a difference, as can a bad one.

I'll try that then. Seems unlikely as its a brand new official energizer charger.

Thanks

I'm using a cheap Ultra 2 hour charger with 2200mah batteries and when I'm done charging them, the batteries are so hot that I cannot even touch them. However, I do get a good 3.5 hours out of the batteries even though they aren't 2500mah and there is no way I'm going to use a slow charger. Just try a different set of batteries, if that doesn't work, see if you can return your GP2X.

Back