Basic Linux Q

Fzero

Advanced Member
I've a couple simple questions regarding basic install onto Linux, simple for you users anyway

I just wiped my XP machine for a bodhi 1.1 which is very nice looking and runs nicer btw.

Came with just Midori, I don't think I can run flash/YouTube on that so d/l Chromium, read flash was built in but disabled, I didn't see it in my list of plugin. The Chromium was a file I could 'make executable' which on running added to the 'applications/internet' menu alongside Midora.

I went to adobe for flash and only offered for FF and couple others, so I d/l FF5 and unpacked it.

Followed command to install it:

sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox

sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

this moves it to /opt

..why isn't my Chromium here too though, where would that likely be?

also has that just made shortcut of FF to /usr/bin , I can see the file to launch FF but it doesn't add to my click menu under 'applications/internet'. How do I get it to there?

I'm hopeing these are basic things and you know what I mean, it might be settings in the bodhi I've not seen yet

cheers ears

No worries I found the bodhi menu to add new programs to the menus... Now just need to find where can edit the order as my FF is under 'applications/other' not 'applications/internet'

Why don't you use your package manager to install software?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have synaptic manager but didn't see it in there, will use that for future installs though for simplicity

Back