Balloonacy Wip

iprice

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Here's a WIP of my Balloonacy game, which some of you may remember from a while back.

It is still very much a WIP, but I thought I'd let people have an early play.

balloonacy02.PNG

http://www.iprice.re...acy_wiz_wip.rar

The game is a simple affair - just guide your balloon through the caves to the square exit. Collect coins on the way (you don;t need to collect all of them) and hearts for extra lives. Avoid the walls, ceilings and floors once you've taken off and don't touch anything that moves!

I remenber you talking about this proyect like a month ago, looks awesome, downloading right now :)

I've played the firsts 5 levels and I've to say: fucking awesome, seriously I like it, simplistic but addictive, nice graphics and a smooth control, very old school in my honest opinion.

The only things that I would change would be:
-The music is ok, I like the style (it really fits), but maybe it's a little repetitive.
-The music volume is maybe too low, I needed to use headphones.
-5 coins for an extra life is very cheap, maybe if you put a difficulty selector: easy 5coins=1up, medium 10coins=1up, hard 20coins=1up.

I enjoyed this game, you're in the good track :D

Thanks for the feedback :)

As for the music, I do have two longer remixed tracks that might well replace the current theme and WarmFluffyUK offered assistance in this department too.

I did/do plan to add difficulty levels - Ballooneasy, Balloonacy and Balloonasty. The levels as seen are indeed in the Balllooneasy difficulty level. The current ones are still challenging to a degree, but I can zoom through them (why is it that developers always find their own games easy? ;))

Nice game. Works well.

A suggestion would be to have a control option where "B" could provide thrust "X" could be drop. This way you are relying on diagonals as much. plus I think it would give the feeling more that you are using thrust to keep aloft rather moving a "cursor" with a d-pad. You could also press the button faster to kind of pulse when going sideways. You could even add a thrust sound (hot air baloons have such a sound when the burners go off) when the button is pressed. Maybe add slightly more gravity (or have a setting).

Thanks for the good game.

pferguso, this game is currently only for the Wiz. I will compile a version for the GP2X as well at some point.

I'll give those controls a try DaveC - thanks for the suggestion. I did have a higher gravity at one point, but a couple of my testers didn't like it.

A thrust sound will be added, as well as other incidentals etc. It is still WIP.

I really like this game, its very fun and brings back fond memories of the good ol' 8-bit days .. for some reason, graphics-wise, it reminds me a lot of the Amstrad CPC464 we used to hack on ..

Nice one mate!

My first computer actually was an Amstrad CPC 464, so if it's similar in style to something you recall, then I'm happy with that. I didn't consciously base the images on anything that I can specifically remember, but I do love chunky, clean retro games.

iprice said:
I did/do plan to add difficulty levels - Ballooneasy, Balloonacy and Balloonasty.

I fucking lol'd here, I like how it sounds... Balloonasty!

Can't wait for the next version.

@WarmFluffyUK: I would like to hear some of your music, have you published something?, thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Flamenco said:
@WarmFluffyUK: I would like to hear some of your music, have you published something?, thanks in advance.
Well I wrote the music for one of my games Myriad, and I have lots of other stuff floating around, some of which was written years ago during the Techo age, you can listen to some HERE but it's quite dated now.

If I write Music for Baloonacy I'm going to try to keep it in the old school retro style but add some soft synths :)

iprice said:
pferguso, this game is currently only for the Wiz. I will compile a version for the GP2X as well at some point.

I'll give those controls a try DaveC - thanks for the suggestion. I did have a higher gravity at one point, but a couple of my testers didn't like it.

A thrust sound will be added, as well as other incidentals etc. It is still WIP.

Remember those different controls could be an option that is selected or something so even if some don't like it they could always choose the other way.

I think the button could work well almost like the "flap" does in Joust.

I could eventually get this game to work. I tried about a month ago without success, gave up, tried again today, and it works. I like this game. It's very charming and fun.

One of the main reasons why I don't think the game worked before was because Mac OS X thinks anything with the extension app is an application and you have a folder with that extension. I had to change the directory structure. Because of that, the ini file no longer works. I tried changing it to the directory structure on my Wiz and I could not get it to run. Since the game itself runs, I'm not really worried. I'll just run it from the launcher.

Having never touched a Mac in my life, I've no idea what doe's/doesn't work via it - it should still have been a case of dragging and dropping, but there you go. Glad you got it to work in the end though
smile.gif

Here, have a virtual scratchcard for your efforts
smile.gif

scratch.PNG

http://www.iprice.re...uff/scratch.rar

Very much a WIP. Press MENU to generate a new card.

Back