Release Ken's Labyrinth

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Ken's Labyrinth

This was my first real dive into some opengles as a learning tool, and i think it really paid off. Thanks to CrowRiot /DarkBlu/Poke for the help

Description:
Ken's Labyrinth is a first-person shooter DOS game, released in 1993 by
Epic Megagames (now called Epic Games). It was mostly coded by Ken Silverman.
Ken's Labyrinth is graphically similar to id Software's Wolfenstein 3D in
that the levels were designed using a grid-based plane, resulting in
perpendicular walls and textureless floors and ceilings.
Arguably its most astounding feature was the existence of interactive sprites and textures, like slot machines.

Ken's Labyrinth was open sourced and ported to SDL and opengl. This version extends that opengl-ES.

How to Run:
Currently music is disabled, it does work but currently slows the game done too much.

Controls
dpad : move
A : shoot
B : strafe
X : open/use
Y : run

Todo/Issues
Music plays but slows the game down too much

Pnd at the Appstore
http://apps.open-pandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Game/ken.inf

Official Page:
http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab.htm

This looks great, thanks pickle! Just need a pandora now...

Nice, one question though: Why would music slow it down so much? You'd think from a layman perspective that OpenGLES should give it a huge speed boost, much more than enough to run it fullspeed w/ music @ 500Mhz or even much less.

How low can you clock btw to run this fullspeed w/o music?

@PokeParadox

Well there some odds and ends to fix up, not all menus show up (but enough to play), theres a couple reported opengl errors I havnt tracked down yet. id say its 95% done.

@Wolfsclaw

Yeah i know, without the music it pretty light, on the wiz ive down clocked to 400 Mhz without music. Im not sure why its causing an issue at the moment. I even tried profiling on the pc side to see anything obvious.

I have the pandora version running nicely with music :)
Basically the profiling pointed out something that was using 30% of the cpu time to average the colors out in the texture, well take that out and it runs smooth with music and i cant notice a graphical difference.
Lets see if the wiz does as well.

Edit:

Actually turned out to be the neon flags, but the pixel averaging i think helped the wiz a bit even though it cant do the music

appstore is fail so get the update here
pickle.gp2x.de/ken.pnd

MDave said:
darkblu said:
nice job, Pickle! how 'bout some duke3d now? ; )

We already have a port of eduke32, thanks to ... mindlord I think? ;)
I think it was inferring to give it the GLES treatment!

Last edited by a moderator:
It hangs my Panda hard whenever I dare touch a control that's not preprogrammed in; i.e.: touch the left nub and all I'm left to do is take out the battery to restart.

It might be a nice game, but sofar I haven't seen enough of it to make up my mind.

Karel Jansens said:
It hangs my Panda hard whenever I dare touch a control that's not preprogrammed in; i.e.: touch the left nub and all I'm left to do is take out the battery to restart.

It might be a nice game, but sofar I haven't seen enough of it to make up my mind.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,176

this should fix that problem, bad thing is you see the cursor if you move it. But better than a lockup if you bump it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to play this game! Me and my brother(s) used to play it when we were young, so it's working with music now? The music is sooo awesome, brings back all the good memories... :)

Back