Balloonacy V1.0

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
Balloonacy is an old school retro game akin to Manic Miner with a hot air balloon. Guide your balloon through dangerous caverns, avoiding anything that moves and everything that doesn't!

20090902_balloonacy_v1.0_(wiz_game).PNG

Download: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,27,211
Source: http://pdroms.de/news/19458/

This looks like another fun iprice game.. Does this also work on GP2X? I don't have a Wiz.

Nice game! Really challenging. It would be nice if you could use another button than UP to go up. It would be much easier to control that way.

How did you get it to run? The only file with a gpe extension is gp2x.gpe. When I try to run this file from the launcher, it just displays a "loading" black screen with white text, and then goes back to the menu.

Imerion said:
Nice game! Really challenging.
Cheers
smile.gif

It would be nice if you could use another button than UP to go up. It would be much easier to control that way.

That will be in an update. The game is still WIP.

How did you get it to run? The only file with a gpe extension is gp2x.gpe
Yep, that's the executable. If you want to run it from the Launcher, then click on that file and it will run. Have you put the file in the right place ("game" folder)?

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get it to run? The only file with a gpe extension is gp2x.gpe
Yep, that's the executable. If you want to run it from the Launcher, then click on that file and it will run. Have you put the file in the right place ("game" folder)?

I created a folder called "Ballonacy" and placed all the game files there. Then I placed the folder in the "game" folder in the NAND.

It's best to run it from the SD card, rather than NAND - it's probably safer in the long run. I've not tested NAND installations, as I didn't expect anyone to add it to their NAND.

The game should already be in a "Balloonacy" folder - it sounds like you have added an extra path to the game "balloonacy/balloonacy" which it doesn't need and hence can't find the media it requires, so is getting itself confused looking. Sometime case sensitivity is an issue; you might have made the folder upper/lower-case when it should be the opposite.

The game, when extracted and placed directly into the "game" folder should work properly, without requiring any additional folders or additions.

I was renaming the folder to "Balloonacy". I tried leaving the original name and installing it in the "games" folder in both the SD and the NAND and it still does not run. The only thing that might be different in my Wiz is the firmware, which is 1.1.0.

I guess Balloonacy does not run on my Wiz. Oh well. It's a shame, since it seems to be my type of game.

It should run on all Wiz's no matter what the fw. :(

Have you checked that the .ini file matches the path details EXACTLY? IIRC the main folder should be called balloonacy.app (all lower case).

Would you mind trying to download the game again, extracting, then placing the "balloonacy.app" folder and the "balloonacy.app.ini" into your "game" folder? Maybe the original downloaded file got corrupted?

I've not had anyone else let me know that the game isn't working. Hopefully this is just a one-off case.

Nice one Iprice, this will be a killer game once you make one of the action buttons be "up". Could it be possible to start with a lower default volume, too?

I'm running firmware 1.1.0 by the way, these are the paths you want Ghaleon:

SD_CARD/game/balloonacy.app
SD_CARD/game/balloonacy.app.ini

Perhaps renaming "Balloonacy_wiz_wip" to "game" in future releases would prevent such confusion :)

I copied all the files to the "games" directory without adding another directory. It still doesn't work. And honestly, I believe it's a bad idea to install games directly on the "games" directory. Games should be on their own folders inside the "games" directory. Otherwise, you will probably only be able to install one game in there without any potential conflicts. Plus it's confusing to see all these files in there. The "games" directory should only have the individual folders for each game and the ini files for the icons.

Ghaleon said:
I copied all the files to the "games" directory without adding another directory. It still doesn't work. And honestly, I believe it's a bad idea to install games directly on the "games" directory. Games should be on their own folders inside the "games" directory. Otherwise, you will probably only be able to install one game in there without any potential conflicts. Plus it's confusing to see all these files in there. The "games" directory should only have the individual folders for each game and the ini files for the icons.

you misunderstood sth. the usual and recommended way is exactly what you're saying, and what Balloonacy does

Alex. said:
Perhaps renaming "Balloonacy_wiz_wip" to "game" in future releases would prevent such confusion
smile.gif

Indeed. What seemed obvious to me isn't perhaps obvious to others. I will do this from now on.
smile.gif

[EDIT]I've updated the file on my personal site to reflect the above. Just extract and place on the SD card. http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/Balloonacy_wiz_wip.rar

Back