Backtrack

ample

Still Fresh
i know people have been mentioning it over the past couple years, but did anyone decide to work on a port for backtrack? or is there already an ARM based version of backtrack?

Aren't all of the utilities in backtrack available for other distros as well? Not much point in porting it in my opinion..
Maybe consider asking for a port of the aircrack-ng suite, if the pandora supports it.

You might be surprised at what's already in the Angstrom repo if you go searching. ;)

Just be careful about what kind of specifics you go into on these boards. Penetration testing is a legitimate undertaking for some, but a convenient cover name used by others. Cracking & wardriving are up there with warez on the big mod's list of favourite topics.

After months of lurking (and being on the preorder list), I finally have something useful to contribute:

Hacking is illegal.

That is all, back to lurking.

Hacking is not illegal. Every person contributing code to the Pandora project is a hacker, in the original sense of the word. Cracking is illegal. So is killing people for money. :ph34r:

Do yourself a great service and seek out a documentary called The Secret History of Hacking.

@hitman

Good luck not posting again. This forum is like a drug. You don't even want to come back but for some reason you find yourself going to the Unofficial Pandora Blog then clicking on forum.

Even if aircrack is ported, does the Pandora OS support it? I remember the last time I tried to get it working on my laptop there was some bollocks about patching the wireless drivers I had to go through. Never did get it working, turns out my wireless card is crap.

b1llygo4t said:
can the pandoras wifi do packet injecting?
I'm sure it can, but the driver might not be up to it, and it would certainly be a bad idea for any of us to point you to a resource on packet injecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Gonzo said:
what would we do without Gruso?

TBH I probably wouldn't have ordered if it weren't for Gruso and his blog, due to lack of frequent updates.

Thanks Gruso :lol:

lulzfish said:
I'm sure it can, but the driver might not be up to it, and it would certainly be a bad idea for any of us to point you to a resource on packet injecting.

Ya, I did a quick search and couldn't figure out what the chipset was, but similar devices have the capability so we may too.

Gruso said:
Hacking is not illegal. Every person contributing code to the Pandora project is a hacker, in the original sense of the word. Cracking is illegal. So is killing people for money. :ph34r:

Oh, hacking is breaking into computers and etc. with a computer. Cracking is busting up the copy protection in software. :p

What you're talking about is just regular "being a geek". No cool name for it though.

i realized after posting that the appeal of backtrack is not in its OS but in the tools it offers by default, i was just too lazy to edit my post, so i apologize. but to modify the question, how difficult would it be to port some of the tools? im fairly confortable with C and C++ but have never done any porting. i just downloaded the sourcery g++ compiler for ARM so i will at least be looking into it. any recommendations on tutorials? dont bother with "just google it."

hitman:

Depends how 'pedantic' we want to be..

Historically, 'hacking' was 'a cool hack'; you did a wicked mod to your car, that was a good hack; doing a great piece of code your peers admired, a great hack. Back in time, 'hacker' actually implied you were probabyl part of a few specific groups of people in various colleges and stuff too, since thats where all the original software 'hacks' came from (jhad to start somewhere.)

Later, in the same way spellunking in caves is greay, some of the original hackers were caught getting up to mischief; not for being mischief, but just wanting to explore... they got into stuff they shouldn't have (for wimpy wussy stuff here, not penetreating the government; we're taling about dumpster diving and sneaking into the campus computer lab to get more computer time), and that got popularized by the media as a 'hack' .. it was a hacker doing somethign bad, but they called the act a hack, instead. OVer time, that sort of became the popular definition.. the stupid media ruined a word :)

So the true meaning is 'a good hack', but the popular meaning of hack is what 'crack' is for, and 'crack' is now used for the more specificv sub-crack term that you haev used it for :)

But really.. same as 'kleenex' is the wrong word for 'tissue', we use it anyway; the real meaning of a word.. is it the dictionairy meaning, or the common use meaning?

jeff

Gruso said:
So is killing people for money.  :ph34r:
80pQ3.jpg

Thats just shallow and pedantic.
mmmyesss, shallow and pedantic.
but yes, I'm also interested in testing my own network security...

hitman said:
What you're talking about is just regular "being a geek". No cool name for it though.
When OP Ltd put out the call for Linux hackers back in early '08, it wasn't to extract information from the Gibson.

Welcome to the forums BTW. :p

ample said:
i realized after posting that the appeal of backtrack is not in its OS but in the tools it offers by default, i was just too lazy to edit my post, so i apologize. but to modify the question, how difficult would it be to port some of the tools? im fairly confortable with C and C++ but have never done any porting. i just downloaded the sourcery g++ compiler for ARM so i will at least be looking into it. any recommendations on tutorials? dont bother with "just google it."
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

Search that. Look for armv7a versions of the tools you require. Chances are they're ported already. ;)

XD once and again people punching each other over terminology.

heres my try.

Hack and Hacking some from what i've investigated for the very old old use as "Over connect" or "Connect beyond average/common use", that i always resume into "Connect".
it is not bad or illegal by itself but what the superior objective is.
its like the same question, is money good or bad? well, its none since it all depends what you use it for.

as for Crack and Cracking you might also thing its illegal, well, i would just go for the "Break Open the Secret" so as long as youre allowed to crack X object software connection or whatever it is not illegal.

Here's something that's been put together before http://neopwn.com/

I was thinking of trying to put together something like this myself, but i've put it off since i've not got the device yet, but looks like they are working on a version for the n900. If you look on the software page, much of it is open source, perl, python or has already been ported to arm. Only supports usb wifi for aircrack-ng, which would be much the same on the Pandora.

lulzfish said:
b1llygo4t said:
can the pandoras wifi do packet injecting?
it would certainly be a bad idea for any of us to point you to a resource on packet injecting.

i wouldnt be asking if i didnt know what it was : :rolleyes: : could always just use my good ol linksys usb card

Backtrack is a toolset. pandora would be the perfect platform for those tools. what if i forget my windows log on? stop trying to nerf the world naysayers

Back