Awful game ideas.

each recursion could also be a step back i time. for example if the earth was one of the worlds. initial could be present day, first recursion could be to the dinosaur extinction the next to the next mass extinction etc the las recursion could be back to the primitive microbes 2.5 billion years ago that started to produce oxygen and killed off 99% of life on the planet.......

little wars between microbes...to the struggle to survive the Yucatan meteor etc.. just a thought

Here's an idea that I thought sucked too much even for this thread, but keeps coming back to me: "JDTAY's Completely Normal Digital Gamebook for Healthy Minds"

Basically, you have to make it through a normal day while being completely mindful. If you fail, you have to go to bed and try again in the morning, page one.

Besides just sucking, there's also the fact that I have no experience being mindful, and would therefore make a lousy author for this thing. I don't wanna research mindfulness either, because FiveThirtyEight told me low conscientiousness is associated with high creativity, and I don't wanna cure my creativity.

Basically, it's a strategy game where attack units and defensive structures are powered by gems. The twist though, is that each gem contains a world that powers it, and each world has its own battle going on, and these battles also use gems, which also contain worlds, and so on. The world's first recursive strategy game.
You will have to tweak that one with upgrades/lootboxes because once you start losing in one game, your power diminishes in the other, your power diminishes in the other, your power diminishes in the other, and finally you are losing in all games.
Some games, like "Cannon Fodder" do add some balance by re-supplying troops in each game.
But the big problem with your game is that if you win too many times, you will have so much power that the game becomes too easy.
The oxigen factor mentioned by @spud42 is an ideal counterweight: The more successful you are, the more toxic environment you have.
Basically, you have to make it through a normal day while being completely mindful.
Impossible. Try driving 8 hours straight. You need to daydream or shift down gears a bit everyday.

Last edited:
How about a game world where savory figths sweet, compete with salt and sugar themed friends and foes, but after level three sour and bitter enter the game and that messes things up for everyone, while near the end umami saves the day and all flavours get along. But when that happens all non-food stuff like dishwash soap, nailpolish remover etc spoil all the fun. Until they meet a common foe "humans" that they can only defeat with clever recombinations, acid+base+soap to create toxic bubbles etc.

You know, I was thinking, people like games where the winner is chosen at random more than skill games, because for 90% of people that increases their chance of winning.

It's why Fortnite was really popular at first. It's also why people started complaining that they were "balancing the game for streamers" by adding skill to it. Now I think they've rolled that back a bit though.

It's also why Among Us is popular. You can't do social deduction over the internet. But that's okay, because it gives everybody pretty much an equal chance of winning.

I also wanna cite Monopoly, America's favorite board game here. Random as ****. Reminds me of a scene in Malcolm in the Middle where no-one wants to play Risk, because they know Malcolm always wins.

Not that I'm condoning any of this. Just musing. I wanna design a game that doesn't rely on RNG, but I don't really know how. Certainly though, it helps to make it single player.

I was thinking it might be cool to make an RPG where everything is decided by the player. Would be purer role-playing than RNG crap. Only problem is, I'm not sure what the difference between such a game and just giving someone a text editor would be. Probably why it's in this thread.

I remember reading a review of a visual novel once where the person complained that actions and outcomes didn't correlate very well. I mean, how are they supposed to, though? Actions and outcomes don't correlate well in real life either. There's no correct outcome for an action.

That's part of the inspiration for the post above. Directly choosing outcomes, instead of spending hours trying to sort out how to make the game do what you want it to, would be more fun for everyone, I think.

I guess what I'm seeking is true novelty, which is probably futile. One of the reasons white guys love the humanities so much is that basically every idea already happened before technology even existed. Even post-modernism is based on classical shit.

Gamers don't really care about game ideas being new anyway, just about games being new. I can't believe how many positive reviews I read for Disco Elysium which basically said, "Man, this is the best Planescape Torment since Planescape Torment."

How about a game about filosophy and quantum mechanics, you start of as a professor pondering about laplacian demons and instead of fighting them you turn them into hamiltonians. In other levels you wrestle with the twin paradox, and rieman spheres while retaining a sense of self, the end level is a quite kafkaesque passage about how absurd life is full with shoutouts to albert camus the endboss will be yourself of course whome you will ultimatly defeat...

I'm about to derail my own thread, but one of the best arguments for simulation theory is that people were talking about how what we perceive doesn't match reality before computers or simulations even existed in this world.

Kinda makes me wish we didn't have technology, and all we did all day was think. We might start making actual progress again in that state.

perceptions have always been unreliable. if their primary goal, according to evolution, is to keep us alive, the truth isn't always in line with our survival (or our group's). i don't think that makes a strong case for simulation theory...

Reactions: rSl
There is still a need for an Unimog Simulator, somewhone asked me under "Like Pyra in the Sunshine" Video for a Video in the Unimog ^^..

After i played a lot Spintires, i think Farming Simulator whit Unimogs and Spintires Mud Physics would be awesome ^^

Reactions: rSl
How about a game where you have to design a hat and that hat will then be judged and tested in different weather conditions. Then you advance to next levels where the challenges get harder like designing storm hats, of hats that can be used in the sun and rain, or with a limited amount of resources. It might be called hat-life.

How about a game where you have to design a hat and that hat will then be judged and tested in different weather conditions. Then you advance to next levels where the challenges get harder like designing storm hats, of hats that can be used in the sun and rain, or with a limited amount of resources. It might be called hat-life.
Pets with hats adventure?

I'm bored, and I keep remembering old awful game ideas I had when I'm bored.

Here's one I don't think I've mentioned here: A speed-running game where gameplay speed stays constant, but you can slow down an in-game timer by collecting speed power-ups. Neat system, right? Of course, your speed would have to keep depleting, lest you stop the timer completely. I think I was going to have some sort of stamina meter in it too for some reason.

I had an idea based on Fantasy Life for Nintendo 3DS too. An RPG with ten characters in ten different places, all on screen at once, that you have to manage. Each character's progression would be mostly tied to other characters, all in one big twisty loop, the same way classes progress other classes in Fantasy Life. You know, some guys would be harvesters, some crafters, some combatants, et cetera.

Back