Avi To Mpeg And Dvds

Goity

VIP Sleaze
What is the best and easiest way to convert avis to MPEG/DVD for dvd?
I tried a couple of ways but they were all ridiculously slow or ridiculously crap

PIRATE!!!!!!!

well tmpgenc has always produced awesome results for me, and its highly customisable so can give great results if you know your stuff.

go to www.dvdrhelp.com and read e v e r y t h i n g there.

well basically you're wanting to convert avi to mpeg2 files that can then be converted to .vob files.

tmpegenc is the one that most people will go for with the mpeg2 encoding part. as i said, give dvdrhelp.com a look, particularly any guides by doom9, he's great he is.

I already have a prog for mpeg to dvd, came with my sony dvd+rs
btw how come it takes like 9 times longer to convert to mpeg then encoding with virtual dub?

I already have a prog for mpeg to dvd, came with my sony dvd+rs
btw how come it takes like 9 times longer to convert to mpeg then encoding with virtual dub?
It shouldn't be, on my PC TMPGEnc is a lot faster than VirtualDub (PentiumIV 2.8Ghz with 512MB ram). It does depend on the input video file though, if the size and sound is perfect for encoding to DivX but would have to be resized to turn it into an Mpeg or Mpeg2 file TMPGEnc obviously has a lot more to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast should it be? It's taking me about an hour for a 20 minute video compared to 3 minutes for a 20 min on virtual dub.
I can't get this damn thing to work properly either, it seems to only be encoding the sound and just showing black for the actual video?

are you comparing the same process here or not?

so in side by side trials, vdub is taking 3 mins to encode from format a to format b and tmpegenc is taking an hour for format a to format b?

i remember a full movie taking a good couple of hours on tmpegenc, this was with an athlon xp 2600 and 1 gig of ram.

well, converting the same video to mpeg4 on virtal dub took 3 minutes, but converting it to mpeg2 on tmpgenc took an hour...

Without pirating.. is there a program to do rmvb to mpeg? TMPGenc does work but with no audio :'(

How fast should it be? It's taking me about an hour for a 20 minute video compared to 3 minutes for a 20 min on virtual dub.
I can't get this damn thing to work properly either, it seems to only be encoding the sound and just showing black for the actual video?
TMPGEnc works faster than real time on my computer: a 90 min movie to mpeg2 will take about an hour. A full (not fast) recompress in in VirtualDub will take slightly longer than the movie.
Again: what is your source file? An mpeg has to meet certain standards so if your file does not have the standard size(s) TMPGEnc will have to cut a part out of your movie or resize it and add black bars (depending on the settings).
If it's just showing black for the video that would mean TMPGEnc can't decode the source material (but I would expect it to give you a warning)

well, converting the same video to mpeg4 on virtal dub took 3 minutes, but converting it to mpeg2 on tmpgenc took an hour...

that'll be exactly why, its like saying it takes a jaguar two hours to race london to oxford and a mercedes twelve hours to do lands end to john o groats, totally different races.

mpeg4 is a very lossy format that is ultimately designed to be compressible so it doesn't matter when things get lost along the way, mpeg2 is made for superb quality dvd production, of course its taking longer.

After four years of looking I still havent found a program that comes close to tmpgenc for mpeg encoding.

So it takes a while the best results usually do. If you absolutely must do it faster try xing mpeg converter but compared to tmpgenc the results are shite.

Back