Best Avi Converter?

KickinWing

Arguable Idiot
Website
Visit site
What is the best freeware program to convert my dvd to avi? I tried dvd2avi but it doesn't seem to work. I want to give encoding another shot but i'm stuck at making the dvds into avis. i also read the guides and stuff, but they're all just about virtual dub and not about the actual process of making them avi,

ps, i've already ripped my dvd.

Thanks.

Take the vob files and creat a project file with DGMPGDec(google for it) then make the dummy avi file with VFAPI then use vd.

I can email you the whole guide that i use but i think you will get it form what i just said abouve.

Bourbon

none of this shit worked, this is bull crap. all i can find is guides on how to use virtual dub? is there a guide from beginning to end? From ripping the dvd to encoding?

Xmpeg just crashed when it tried to convert, DGMPGDec had no option to convert to .avi and aapje89 was no help since virtual dub does not convert dvd files to avi.

There are guides that tell you how to make a AVI you can play on your computer out of a DVD, and guides that tell you how to make a AVI you can play on your GP32 out of a AVI that you can play on your computer...use your head. :p

KickinWing posted on Apr 10 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
none of this shit worked, this is bull crap.  all i can find is guides on how to use virtual dub?  is there a guide from beginning to end?  From ripping the dvd to encoding? 

Xmpeg just crashed when it tried to convert,  DGMPGDec had no option to convert to .avi and aapje89 was no help since virtual dub does not convert dvd files to avi.

Use this. Use DGMPGDec to make the project file and VFAPI to make the job file have the vfapi codec installed so VirtualDub will "see" the file.
I cant rember where I got this guide from but it works for me.

STEP 1: DVD Decrypter

This part requires you to copy the files from the DVD to your hard disk so you can work with them.
From the input tab, select the movie file you want for your GP32.
In the Destination area, click on the folder icon and select the location to copy the movie files to.
Click the large DVD -> HD icon at the bottom to copy the files to your selected location.
This will generally take up around 5-7Gb for a 2 hour film and take roughly 30 minutes*.

STEP 2: DGMPGDec

This part creates a project file for you to work on along with a .WAV file of the movies sound.
After loading DGMPGDec, select FILE - OPEN and select any of the .VOB files you ripped earlier, now select OK.
From the Audio menu, make sure the following is selected: Dolby Digital - Decode
Select File - Save Project enter a project name and hit OK. This will create the project file and a full sized WAV file of the movie.
For a 2 hour film this should take around 7 minutes* and use around 1.5Gb disk space for the wav file.

STEP 3: VFAPI

This part creates a small dummy AVI file that VirtualDub will recognise.
Select Add Job
Locate and select the project file created by DVD2AVI
Keep the default settings and hit OK
Click on Convert
This will take around 5 seconds* and create a 15Mb dummy AVI file.

** NOTE: You MUST have the vfapi codec installed(google for it). for virtual dub to reconize the file
then use virtual dub and encode it.

Bourbon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back