Divx to Mpeg

Hey
Does anybody know of a free program that converts avi's to mpeg/vcd?
i have tried many programs on kazaa but they ar either viruses or they just end up with really crappy quality or they cut off half way through
i would like a no hassle, working, avi to mpeg convertor so i can play this divx file i downloaded on my dvd player

thanks

Andy

TMPGEnd is the best program. They do a demo version and may also do a free version. Do a Google search to find their site. Also look at www.dvdrhelp.com for more info

TMPGenc is the best one for quality but shit is it slow my pc is 1500mhz and a two hour film can take upto 5 hours.The free version only does mpeg1(vcd) but comes with a trial of mpeg2(svcd and dvd) encoding.

Xing mpeg encoder is I believe free and much faster but the quality of the finished video is shocking compared to TMPGenc plus it uses fixed profiles and dosent give as much control over audio bitrates an such.Which may not sound important but dropping the audio bitrate to say 128 ,112 or 96 depending on the subject matter can allow longer films to fit on a disc.

Try vcdhelp.com for help and advice on mpeg video it might be called dvdrhelp now but is the same site.

EDIT: if you have nero you can just select the vcd profile fron the wizard menu and then choose the divx file. Nero will then ask if you want it to rencode the video choose yes and then wait and wait but it does work.

Back