Availability

CodyFTW

Still Fresh
I'd just like to make sure that I will still be able to get one if I miss the pre-order or if they'll sell out before mid-October (My birthday is around there. xD).

When the first 3000 sell out, another batch will hit the production line. This is an uninformed guess, but I reckon mid October will still get you in on the first batch. :)

How many of us are here discussing it on the forum?
For every one of us here, there`s one or two lurkers who will buy it too.
And for every lurker, there`s bound to be 5-10 people who will snap it up as soon as sites like engadget start posting the confirmed preorder date or video of a final production unit.

I wouldn`t be surprised if it sells out well before mid October, as long as the preorder starts between Sept 15th-30th.

One of the other threads was talking about the forum users getting to preorder early. If this is true you should be able to get in.

Good luck, the staff won't even commit to a date yet.

I'm fairly pessimistic in this view, but I don't think they'll be available for very long at all. After seeing other forum posts about Pandora and 5 or 6 page threads of people vowing to buy one as soon as it is announced, I don't think the preorder page will be up for very long at all.

i just hope the second batch will be ready before december
i'm going to norway and i would love to have a pandora for the absurb length of the flights (have to stop in the UK for like an hour becuase there's no direct flights from chicago to norway)

Well, they've already stated that there will be a "considerable gap" between batches, and seeing as the first batch won't come out until November, I highly doubt your dream will come true.

Then again, the first batch may not even be out until December or January, given this project's track record... >_>

CronoTriggerfan said:
Well, they've already stated that there will be a "considerable gap" between batches, and seeing as the first batch won't come out until November, I highly doubt your dream will come true.

Then again, the first batch may not even be out until December or January, given this project's track record... >_>

Hey CronoTriggerfan, do you have a link to the "considerable delay" post? I can't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:

I'm fairly pessimistic in this view, but I don't think they'll be available for very long at all. After seeing other forum posts about Pandora and 5 or 6 page threads of people vowing to buy one as soon as it is announced, I don't think the preorder page will be up for very long at all.
I must say, I'm with Crono here. It seems that no matter where you go there's a post about the pandora. As much as i'm glad to hear such a buzz about the handheld being developed, a part of me just dreads that the first 3000 are going to be bought by the "casual gamers" and not potential developers! (though I really can't complain, the more users = the more interest developers will have)

TaG - I had a quick little search for you but had no avail either, though now that Crono mentioned it, it definitely rings a bell!

JohnM said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

I must say, I'm with Crono here. It seems that no matter where you go there's a post about the pandora. As much as i'm glad to hear such a buzz about the handheld being developed, a part of me just dreads that the first 3000 are going to be bought by the "casual gamers" and not potential developers! (though I really can't complain, the more users = the more interest developers will have)

I've said this before elsewhere but I'll say it again. Honestly, with pre-orders set for 4-6 weeks before the first units begin shipping there shouldn't be any reason for large delays between batches. If the first 3000 sell out within a week, the developers will have all the capital required to immediately order a second run. They *may* even be able to simply increase the volume being produced in the first run.

It's not like they're just going to shrug and sit on all that capital until the units actually ship, some 3-5 weeks later and THEN order a second run.

The pre-order is sound business sense.

JohnM said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

TaG - I had a quick little search for you but had no avail either, though now that Crono mentioned it, it definitely rings a bell!
News certainly is getting around - it does show that a few key sites lead to a much wider audience. When there are some real mk1s in photos and videos interest will then go to the next level. I expect the first 3000 to sell pretty quick.

I have said the same sort of thing as Pleng^. If it sells quick, there is no reason the second batch could not follow quickly if they want it to. That's why I'm interested in CronoTriggerfan's quote.

From the wiki:
Only 3000?! What if they sell out?

Then they will make more. The devices must be manufactured in large batches. Depending on how well the first batch sells, the second batch may be larger. It has been stated that there may be "some delay" between the 1st and 2nd batches. Nobody knows exactly how long that delay might be. If you're especially concerned about getting a Pandora from the first batch, then your best bet is to keep an eye on the forums and pre-order as soon as it is announced.

I remember either MWeston or Craig making the comment originally, but I don't have the time to go digging right about now. So the wording was a bit off, but the result is the same. I'm with you all in that if sales are fast, there shouldn't be reason for a delay between a first and second batch, but I'm not the one in charge of this stuff, so there are probably factors I don't know about.

Chip said:
TaG said:
Hey CronoTriggerfan, do you have a link to the "considerable delay" post? I can't find it.

Original reference.
Thanks again Chip - how do you find these things all the time? Have you got some database/tagging going on or are you an elephant?

I'll put that quote here:
craigix said:
Unfortunately there will be a delay after the first 3000 units but we hope 3000 will be enough to keep most of you happy while we set up production for more!

Now, that was back in April, and things may, or may not, have changed. Also, and I'm not being picky, but it just says "a delay". But then if the length of pre-order gets increased the delay might be minimal, ie the original preorder was about 4 weeks, that may become 6-8 weeks.

Unless they want the first 3000 delivered and used before they commit to more - just to be certain there are no problems that suddenly become evident on 10,000+ units.

TaG said:
Thanks again Chip - how do you find these things all the time? Have you got some database/tagging going on or are you an elephant?

If you know who said something and the gist of what they said, it's very easy to find a post with the advanced search functions.

JohnM said:
I must say, I'm with Crono here. It seems that no matter where you go there's a post about the pandora.

no need to be selfish. besides, i would hardly consider DCemu, which has a considerable amount of overlap with gp32x, to be "casual gamers"

PoisonedV said:
no need to be selfish. besides, i would hardly consider DCemu, which has a considerable amount of overlap with gp32x, to be "casual gamers"
haha, you have a good point there PoisonedV. I don't mean to be selfish, it would be ridiculous to think that the only people who know about the Pandora would be within this forum! I myself visit most of those forums and I'm not a casual gamer, so I apologize, I wasn't accusing the sites of being anything. My only concern is that with every time I come across a site which mentions the lovely Pandora, 3000 becomes a smaller and smaller number! However, like I said - the more the console sells the better, so I can't complain.

Also, Chip you are amazing with your searches!

Chip said:
TaG said:
If you know who said something and the gist of what they said, it's very easy to find a post with the advanced search functions.
I try - but you must have a far better memory and manage to pick the right words to search and it is impressive. I'll keep trying, though. :)
JohnM said:
My only concern is that with every time I come across a site which mentions the lovely Pandora, 3000 becomes a smaller and smaller number!
Must be deflation, credit crunch and all that. ;) When someone signs up and asks about preorders I think "do I really want to tell anybody else?" and risk not being in the 3000. But the more the merrier.

JohnM said:
My only concern is that with every time I come across a site which mentions the lovely Pandora, 3000 becomes a smaller and smaller number!
Yeah, but look at all the bashing it gets on those sites for being ugly.

Out of all the sites I have seen only a couple dozen people tops expressed interest in owning one.

Now if it comes out and people really understand how small it is + it is much more powerful (and useful) than a PSP, of course that number could skyrocket.

I still can't believe how many people will just start bitching that it is "ugly" "analog is awkward" and "why a keyboard HUH?!?!". They clearly don't understand it is around the size of a DS, and a keyboard can be stunningly useful if your system actually has an OS or a file manager on it (yes I am looking at you PSP, mine was practically no use if I wasn't sitting directly in front of a PC, why no file managers people?)

So I don't think we need worry until word gets out that everyone was entirely wrong :) :)

Back