"aufs.xino" - What Is It? It's Causing A Problem.

Prometheus

As some of you may recall, I had been having an issue where NesEmu, and then other applications, would suddenly cease to start again until their appdata directories were removed. Whilst on my recent vacation, I finally discovered what it is that seems to be preventing apps from starting, when this occurs.

When an application refuses to start in this fashion, there is always a blank, zero byte file in the relevant appdata directory, called aufs.xino - deleting it allows the app to function normally again.

I'm curious, now: What is aufs.xino, and why does it cause this to happen? I'm guessing it's a file that's supposed to be removed when the union mount stuff is over and done with? Can anyone shed any light, please? :p

aufs.xino is the inode translation file. What Linux does is creates the file, opens it, and then unlinks it. As far as anything else is concerned, that file is gone, and under every circumstance I can think of, it will be. The filesystem doesn't actually delete the file until whatever was using it closes it, but in the worst possible situation it should just leave a dangling inode: free space that hasn't been recovered, and an fsck would fix that. You should not ever under any situation that I can think of see that file.
STOP DISCOVERING THINGS THAT SHOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE! :p

I've said from the very beginning that I have a knack for finding oddball behaviour under normal usage - I'm only proving it! :lol:

I should note that the file is a hidden one (I forgot to note that before, I notice), and that I've checked prior to starting apps and found that if it's not present, they will start normally on occasions where it hasn't been left behind and prevented the app from running again. So, I'm guessing it is getting removed sometimes, but not always. :p

Further information of possible note is that the card is a Class 6 32GB Verbatim SDHC Card, formatted as FAT32.

Back