Release Audiorace

crow_riot

Hi,

here it is - Audiorace for the Pandora!

download audiorace at the archive

audiorace-v1.5-0001.png

audiorace-v1.5-0002.png

took me a bit longer than expected, because I've rewritten the whole audio analyzation part, added a gstreamer audio backend, added keyboard support for hiscore name entering and nub support for ship controlling.

Fileformats currently supported and tested are mp3 and ogg. To be able to play mp3 files, you need to have the codec pack installed. I really *recommend* to install it and use mp3, because the mp3 decoder is superior to the ogg decoder in regards to decoding speed!

crow_riot said:
Hi,

here it is - Audiorace for the Pandora!

download audiorace at the archive

audiorace-v1.5-0001.png

audiorace-v1.5-0002.png

took me a bit longer than expected, because I've rewritten the whole audio analyzation part, added a gstreamer audio backend, added keyboard support for hiscore name entering and nub support for ship controlling.

Fileformats currently supported and tested are mp3 and ogg. To be able to play mp3 files, you need to have the codec pack installed. I really *recommend* to install it and use mp3, because the mp3 decoder is superior to the ogg decoder in regards to decoding speed!

Thanks a lot, i go just try it right now :)

It's posible the game become open source in the future ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Runs quite well!

The game does not do very well at working with classical music, though; it seems to pay more attention to volume than to differences in instrumentation. So something quiet & consistent but driven forward by a lively rhythm and harmonic changes (like, say, a waltz) will be mostly flat.

Geca said:
The game crash the pandora loading a mp3 file.
do you have the codec pack installed? what hotfix version u are running?

Esn said:
Runs quite well!
:)

The game does not do very well at working with classical music, though; it seems to pay more attention to volume than to differences in instrumentation. So something quiet & consistent but driven forward by a lively rhythm and harmonic changes (like, say, a waltz) will be mostly flat.
the algorithm looks for "big" changes in the spectrum, so i guess this is pretty much the reason for the flatness. but there's always room for improvements :)

really enjoy the new freedom, gstreamer spends. The person who gave you the tip must be a true hero :p
Played through a big part of my collection already. ^^

Activating low-power-mode while playing seems troublesome. Music will start playing after waking up, but ui is unresponsive.

Anyway, one of my favorite games on pandora, next to frogatto and tomba on pcsx-rearmed

conso said:
really enjoy the new freedom, gstreamer spends. The person who gave you the tip must be a true hero :p
he's a genius ;)
no really, i'm thankful for the hint, because i don't know much of all the libs that come with the pandora and what they do :)

Played through a big part of my collection already. ^^
well that means that mp3 is working on your side. can only guess why it's not working on geca's pandora.

Activating low-power-mode while playing seems troublesome. Music will start playing after waking up, but ui is unresponsive.

yes, i dont have any special code that take care of the low power mode or the lid closing. but i have the same issues with frogatto, too :)
i still need to get my hands on that, but i wanted to get out a basically working version out before.

Anyway, one of my favorite games on pandora, next to frogatto and tomba on pcsx-rearmed
makes me feel it was worth the effort :)

Nice game!
It's like a no-nonsense AudioSurf! (I always thought AS had too many modes...)

MP3 working fine here with the few test files I copied over.
Also wouldn't mind some tips as to how you process music and create gameplay, as I had a nice idea that requires this.

weee, just recieved my new akg k520 headphones. will play audiorace all day long ^^ sound quality is amazing.

Geca said:
It did that to me before I realised I'd not re-installed the codec pack after installing HF5 betas (flashing, not the pnd version).
Works fine afterwards, re-install the codec pack just in-case.

paeryn said:
Geca said:
It did that to me before I realised I'd not re-installed the codec pack after installing HF5 betas (flashing, not the pnd version).
Works fine afterwards, re-install the codec pack just in-case.

i didn't test without a codec pack intalled, because i don't know how to safely remove it ... any hints? :)

*edit*
nevermind, just renamed the ffmpeg plugin and am able to reproduce the problem. gstreamer hangs. forever :S

This thing already dealt me some nice lunch breaks @ school.
Perfect game.

Coldbird said:
This thing already dealt me some nice lunch breaks @ school.
Perfect game.

nice to hear, thx :)

btw:
just uploaded a new version to the archive, which fixes the stall-bug if no codec pack is installed.

PokeParadox said:
Nice game!
It's like a no-nonsense AudioSurf! (I always thought AS had too many modes...)

well that was the first or second positive comment regarding AudioSurf - usually i get "AudioSurf is better" ... but I just tend to say it's different.

Also wouldn't mind some tips as to how you process music and create gameplay, as I had a nice idea that requires this.
At first you need to convert your time-domain to frequency-domain - FFT that is. I'm using kissfft, as it is straight forward to use and has a nice liberal license.
That is what takes so long on converting, pretty much it's only decoding the whole song and running it through fft.
I use 1024 samples per fft, giving 512 spectrum entries, which again i into 3 frequency bands (depending on the sample rate) giving low, mid and hi bands.

additionaly in the pandora version, i calculate the running average out of the 3 bands.
this is where all the "magic" starts, in fact, the result depends totally on magic factors (a multiplication factor here, another there), e.g. how may entries in the spectrum you look back and forward for your running average.

with the runnig average and the immediate band values, you got pretty much everything you need.
if the immediate band value is greater than the running average, then you found something that possibly is a beat.
sometimes there are more values after each other that are greater than the average; it totally depends on your needs if you use all of them, just use the highest or first one.
i think you know what i mean...

that's pretty much everything basically used in audiorace.
a LOT of stuff was trial&error, e.g. what values to use to create the track, what factors are used, how to distinguish between capsules and mines and so on...

hope it makes sense ;)

AAAHHH!!! Freakin' AWESOME! Dude you rock like no one's business! Thank you SO MUCH for this game.

I was just going to install PanPlayer when I accidentally moused over the name and saw the screen shot and I was like "nah there's no way someone made an Audiosurf-type game for the Pandora". Then I looked again and my heart literally skipped a beat, I immediately jumped on the download link for it. I've never played Audio surf but watched tons of youtube videos of it (I wont get into specifics but let's just say I'd given up on ever playing it first hand) and to see this by accident... well lets just say I'm currently smiling ear to ear and resisting a little happy dance at 4 AM and that's a half hour after playing it. This will be a permanant resident on my SD card (you know, unless you update it or something.)

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

thanks alpha2 and wermy.

nice to read that people enjoy this little game so much :D

you make an awesome game - we appreciate it ;)

Some minor critic: when playing outside, it's nearly impossible to see the baddies. Even in close roomes, they are a lot harder to recognize then the goodies. Any chance for some basic modding-/skinning-support.
I can do some cheap asset-hacking, but that's rather suboptimal and as your fanbase here seems to grow, this might really bring some pleasent surpises :)

Back