Asus To Create The "first" Community Based Computer

oh yea? well your just a big meany-pants, poisonedv.

I was under the impression that the pandora was origional in being so democratic in their development from start to finish. guess I was wrong. did the gp2x have votes on what hardware to include and things like control layout?

you can bet that if the pandora is as successful as I think it will be that other companies will try to ride the wave the pandora creates. perhaps its to soon to accuse asus of doing this but on the otherhand it's possible.

btw, i'll be first in line to buy such spinoffs.

Who knows. They might make something and have it out before the Pandora.

Of course I kid....

EmuGuy said:
copying an open-source idea
Open-source ideas are supposed to be copied. That's why they're open-source. The bad part is when big companies crap all over them and stamp the word "innovative" on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MonkeyChops said:
oh yea? well your just a big meany-pants, poisonedv.

I was under the impression that the pandora was origional in being so democratic in their development from start to finish. guess I was wrong. did the gp2x have votes on what hardware to include and things like control layout?

you can bet that if the pandora is as successful as I think it will be that other companies will try to ride the wave the pandora creates. perhaps its to soon to accuse asus of doing this but on the otherhand it's possible.

btw, i'll be first in line to buy such spinoffs.
i never said the pandora DIDN'T do that (which, well, it doesn't to the degree some people like to say) i'm saying its not the first product to do this, and its certainly not the first time someone had the idea. the website is entirely different anyway- this is worth1000 for custom built pc setups, and theres going to be several over time... it's nothing like the pandora

Gilrad said:
It hardly looks like a 'community' project. Sure, they're listening to the community, but any forum for discussion (pun intended) would be too small an implementation for a relatively large company like Asus.
Don't they actually need a community first before this could be a community project? If this is just a public page where anyone can bung ideas in, then it is more like Dell's IdeaStorm.

Hey, why pay some company to come up with new ideas when you can just open up a public forum and wait for a decent idea to come in?

I hope this does come up with something different and interesting.

daveski said:
Gilrad said:
It hardly looks like a 'community' project. Sure, they're listening to the community, but any forum for discussion (pun intended) would be too small an implementation for a relatively large company like Asus.
Don't they actually need a community first before this could be a community project? If this is just a public page where anyone can bung ideas in, then it is more like Dell's IdeaStorm.

Hey, why pay some company to come up with new ideas when you can just open up a public forum and wait for a decent idea to come in?

I hope this does come up with something different and interesting.

i agree completely this is just a gimmick. People have been doing this on reseller websites in the computer customization section of the site for ages like sager for example http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=29175 XD atleast i have

Sager NP9262
  • Display: 17" Wide Viewing Angles WUXGA LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1200)[+$95.00]
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9650 / 12MB L2 Cache, 3.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB[+$375.00]
  • Video & Graphics Card: Dual Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTX Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory in SLI mode[+$795.00]
  • Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA ULTIMATE 32/64-Bit Edition[+$80.00]
  • Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 X 4096MB[+$845.00]
  • RAID Storage Options: RAID-0 Storage ( Data Strip - Requires 2nd Hard Disk Drive or both 2nd & 3rd Hard Disk Drives )
  • Primary Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 5400rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$135.00]
  • 2nd Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 5400rpm SATA 300 Secondary Hard Drive in RAID configuration[+$190.00]
  • 3rd Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 5400rpm SATA 300 3rd Hard Drive in RAID configuration[+$190.00]
  • Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
  • Wireless Network Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
  • Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth Module
  • Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
  • Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
  • Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty with Three-Day Shipping Both Ways Paid
  • Zero Dead Pixel Insurance: Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing [+$200.00]
  • Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag
  • Carrying Bag: TXL617, Targus 17" XL Notebook Backpack[+$85.00]
Total: $5,589.00

beat that in a laptop :D now i just need to win the lottery.

Ryuu said:

Game_buttons.jpg

The unit includes an Unique Dual Programable Gaming Buttons - Two completely user definable buttons to allow ultimate control over your gaming experience.

Oh man, those buttons are the shit. This is going to revolutionize portable gaming machines. :rolleyes:

jakewastaken said:
Ryuu said:

Game_buttons.jpg

The unit includes an Unique Dual Programable Gaming Buttons - Two completely user definable buttons to allow ultimate control over your gaming experience.

Oh man, those buttons are the shit. This is going to revolutionize portable gaming machines. :rolleyes:

:lol: but the laptop itself is a beast on a leash

EDIT: translation was too literal :p

tazg said:
EmuGuy said:
copying an open-source idea
Open-source ideas are supposed to be copied. That's why they're open-source. The bad part is when big companies crap all over them and stamp the word "innovative" on it.

Exactly...which is why I said I've no beef with them doing it:

EmuGuy said:
But yeah, that's cool, I've no beef with them copying an open-source idea. :)
Quoted for truth...just don't want it to look like I'm an idiot when I'm clearly not. :)

Back