Asus ROG phone

Looks good but I will pass since I got the OnePlus 6 and there is no way I would upgrade that soon, even if I had to I wouldn't upgrade to this. Generous 4000mAh battery lol. If you are creating something that is focused for gaming atleast put a 5000 mAh battery.

No, but a phone website in India has a place holder price of US$870 for it.

Considering the hardware in it, that is cheaper than I thought it would be.

The Snapdragon 845 is a speed binned & overclocked version of the 845 going into the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ phones. Those Galaxy S9 phones are $720 to $920 depending on where you buy them. The next Galaxy Note 9 is supposed to be over $1000. Latest iPhone 8 plus with similar specs to the Galaxy phone is $900+.

Of course it isn't all down to the SoC. The ASUS is also supposed to come in a 512GB eMMC version - which blows away the Samsung and Apple offerings. Shoulder buttons (ish). An honest to goodness heatsink on the SoC. Available docking solutions. Side ports (Yay!).

I'm not sure why so many people are coming out against this one or the Gemini for that matter. Both are niche products that will appeal to some and not to others. It is a sign of a mature product marketplace to have innovative differentiation. It is also a sign of the times that the internet trolls go after anything 'different' even if it is as benign as an odd-ball niche phone/device.

Anyone who thought that kind of hardware combination in the ROG phone would be 'cheap' is fooling themselves. It's the bleeding edge of technology being carried by a purple elephant, yes. It has a touch of visual hideousness to it. Who cares - it's still a very cool idea. But yeah, it's going to be a rich kid device.

Back