Asus ROG phone

It is ridiculous.

Player Unknown Battlegrounds is the only reason for this abomination phone to exist.
99% of the games on the Google Play Store are pure garbage.

The games in Apple app store are far more superior.

For me personally, Librem 5 will be my next phone, and I will squeeze every single drop of life from my Note 3 until then.

99% of the games on the Google Play Store are pure garbage.

The games in Apple app store are far more superior.

I wouldn't say 99%, that's too harsh.
I reckon 75% of the games on the Google Play Play store are garbage.

Also, regarding Apple...iOS games are more or better optimized and I do find the same game plays better on an iPhone/iPad than on an Android device. But! In saying that and imho, I reckon there's an even amount of garbage on the Apple App store.

I wouldn't say 99%, that's too harsh.
I reckon 75% of the games on the Google Play Play store are garbage.

Apparently there are close to 4 million apps on Google Play. Not sure what percentage of those are games, but with that in mind, I think 99% is quite a generous estimate.

I guess the phone looks interesting if you do enjoy gaming on a mobile. If it was up to me, and if I needed modern portable gaming, then I'd rather get a Switch, and keep a phone that's actually a "phone" by design rather than a forgotten side product.

I will squeeze every single drop of life from my Note 3 until then.
I purchased Note 3 phones for the whole family of 4 a few years back.

I held onto my Note 3 until I was forced out of it - company email application would no longer allow Android 5.X and won't work on rooted phones. I replaced my Note 3 with a Planet Computers Gemini. It has an open source bootloader.

One of my sons brought me his Note 3 with a worn out power button. So, I'm considering alternatives. I doubt the Asus ROG will be on the list, but it is interesting.

What I would really like to find for them is a phone that, like the Gemini, has an open source bootloader and Linux based ROM loader so I can get out of the planned obsolescence brick wall that I encountered with the Note 3 phones. Only none of them want a giant clunking keyboard hanging off of their phone.

Not interested, but what are the expected price for these?

If it were me I would want the Gemini.

Not interested, but what are the expected price for these?

If it were me I would want the Gemini.

I have one. I offered getting another Gemini as an option. Teenagers though - go figure.

If Planet Computers had the equivalent of a Gemini without keyboard - maybe add a rear camera & LED, and kept the open bootloader and OS options, that might be a win for them. The keyboard is a love it or hate it thing.

But - back to the ROG... It has several relatively unique features that stretch beyond gaming. I have found that gaming centric devices are often better devices for productivity than a lot of the productivity devices. Just as the Note 3 was pretty good at casual gaming for a productivity device.

The ROG's productivity wins: high def screen, gigantic battery, shoulder buttons (next email, previous email maybe?), a real actual landscape docking station. If they were to manage to get dual boot OS to Linux and/or Sailfish OS and an open bootloader into it, that would be a big win. Ignoring the overclocked SoC, heatpipes, rear-facing LED window, snap-on fan, etc...

Looking past the hype, the side-mounted USB C port, shoulder buttons, dual screen clam shell multitasking, dock - all of those have interest to me.

I like the transformer aspect of it. External add-on cooling, add-on ICP (game controllers), add-on 2DS, Docking station... quite a good lineup. But price will dictate the future of this device.

+ wider means bigger battery. And that means I can game 1/2 hour more!
+ 8GB RAM, beat that Pyra!
- already getting hot for just looking at it. Cooler is required for browsing? Because it wont fit anywhere with it...
- wider means it breaks like a crumbling cookie
- Yeah, desktop... can I do my homework with it?
- you forgot to sell a pouch or padded backpack to put that thing in for it to be save...
- needs to be sold with a flip cover (that manages to open despite the add-on fan) or it will scratch... else... see the pouch/manpurse item.

This year, the market took a hit (not because it is saturated, but because people are sticking longer than planned with their old devices). So this might be just to make the ppl that only upgrade on xmas to want to do it one or two years sooner.

Moooom! Can I hold your credit card for a sec!!?

I have one. I offered getting another Gemini as an option. Teenagers though - go figure.

If Planet Computers had the equivalent of a Gemini without keyboard - maybe add a rear camera & LED, and kept the open bootloader and OS options, that might be a win for them. The keyboard is a love it or hate it thing.

But - back to the ROG... It has several relatively unique features that stretch beyond gaming. I have found that gaming centric devices are often better devices for productivity than a lot of the productivity devices. Just as the Note 3 was pretty good at casual gaming for a productivity device.

The ROG's productivity wins: high def screen, gigantic battery, shoulder buttons (next email, previous email maybe?), a real actual landscape docking station. If they were to manage to get dual boot OS to Linux and/or Sailfish OS and an open bootloader into it, that would be a big win. Ignoring the overclocked SoC, heatpipes, rear-facing LED window, snap-on fan, etc...

Looking past the hype, the side-mounted USB C port, shoulder buttons, dual screen clam shell multitasking, dock - all of those have interest to me.
When I was a teenager I would have loved an old ass computer. If I had something portable I would have flipped my lid, and if I had a Gemini type device I would have thought I was the most badass person on the planet.

Oh, and it NEEDS the keyboard. I figure most of us agree, which is why we are here. Pandora/Pyra.

Despite all the cool things you mentioned, the only thing that appeals to me is the battery. Without a keyboard I don't think it really has anything special to offer me.

Oh great an add-on gaming controller with two shoulder buttons and ...... a touch screen :(

In other words, a gaming phone without tactile controls.

That bit isn't very well thought out - agreed. But - there's more...

They also show a picture of side-clamp (iCP1 type) analog controls.

All of those are probably just renders or close to it at this point.

The only thing it has against other uninspired high end Android phones is R and L triggers apparently. May be useful if you really like mobile FPS games, otherwise I don't see what it brings to the market.

Opinions?
Looks interesting, I'd be very interested if the Base of the Pyra could be used with such a phone.

99% of the games on the Google Play Store are pure garbage
From experience this is a pretty fair assessment. However that's merely an annoyance as there are hundreds of excellent games available for Android, when you consider the emulation ability of the proposed hardware you can add thousands more....

Looks interesting, I'd be very interested if the Base of the Pyra could be used with such a phone.
Great product idea! We could call it the Pyra Control Pad! PCP! Er... hmm... Love the idea, hate the historical baggage that hangs over it.

From experience this is a pretty fair assessment. However that's merely an annoyance as there are hundreds of excellent games available for Android, when you consider the emulation ability of the proposed hardware you can add thousands more....
Agreed. There are some -awesome- games in the Android store. Personally, though, I don't download any games that include adds. I much prefer to purchase my games than to run up the constant data costs & battery drain that the 'free' games demand.

Great games on Android that I have played in the last few months - not free games:
Talisman
Pinball Arcade
Catan
Planar Conquest
World of Goo
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Iceland Dale
Planescape Torment
Siege of Dragonspear

Of course, none of those require hardware remotely like the ROG phone. Those all play fine on my Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 12.2 and Planet Computers Gemini devices.

I suspect we may have reached a capping out point on phone processing power much like we did a few years ago on desktop processing power. I suspect we're at the point where even the 'entry level' device/computer can handle 100% of the needs of 90% of the population. What is keeping cell phone purchases revolving is leaning more and more on planned obsolescence. Glass fronts & backs, glued in batteries, software end-of-life, etc.

The gaming smartphone niche is still new and evolving, so it’s not entirely clear what makes a mobile phone a gaming device.

Buttons, damnit!

IMHO - flip that. Quit trying to make a phone that can also sorta game. Instead, make a gaming handheld that has phone capabilities added in... Oh, wait... Pyra. Then wait some more. :oops:

Back