Release ASCIIpOrtal - Portal 2D

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is ASCIIpOrtal, the awesome 2D Portal in Ascii mode.

preview4.png
All levels and custom levels are include, with some zenity script to select level.You can also select custom levels, or add more !

To add your own level, put the folder inside appdata/ASCIIpOrtal/ and add it to the levels.txt file so it is selectable by the menu.

And a few more screenshots : 130401-220553.png 130401-220659.png

Version history

===========

v1.3.b7.04

--------------

• New version based on latest code on git
  • Level selection is done within the game now .
  • Warning, if upgrading, you will lost your progression (save format is completly different)
  • Many more custom level inside the pack, and you can add more 
  • Fullsceen fill the screen now (was 640x480 before).
  • Should be compatible with Slackware.
v1.2.c.03------------

• corrected packaging so last level is saved at exit.
v1.2.c.02------------

• added "evil" custom levels, that I forgot durring packaging (a few but very tricky set of levels)
v1.2.c.01------------

• Initial release
  • default level maps (with tutorial), and custom levels (from standard distribution)
  • ability to add more level

Last edited by a moderator:
Played Some today. The effect When the portals are Active is a cool touch

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

This is so fun to play, i can see it eating my life for a while. Lovely game. 

A maintenance release on the repo,

v1.2.c.02
------------

• added "evil" custom levels, that I forgot durring packaging (a few but very tricky set of levels)

Very nice :)

Anyone tried playing this with their pandora connected to an agèd CRT?

ASCII graphics cry out for fuzzy images and scanlines, imo.

any way of saving your progress on this game rather than staring from level 1 every time you run the pnd?

any way of saving your progress on this game rather than staring from level 1 every time you run the pnd?
Your progress is saved. At the menu, choose "Starting Level", and you will be able to start at the last uncompleted level (using left & right to choose).

I thought this would be the case but oddly it doesn't work that way for me, if i've been playing a while and exit to the title screen then yes i can select the last level i was playing and any previous ones in this way. However if i play some levels then exit to title screen and quit the pnd, the next time i run the game and choose "starting level" i can only select "1", when i try to scroll it with left and right it makes the noise, almost as if it doesnt remember my previous progress.

I thought this would be the case but oddly it doesn't work that way for me, if i've been playing a while and exit to the title screen then yes i can select the last level i was playing and any previous ones in this way. However if i play some levels then exit to title screen and quit the pnd, the next time i run the game and choose "starting level" i can only select "1", when i try to scroll it with left and right it makes the noise, almost as if it doesnt remember my previous progress.
Ok, that's odd. I will do more tests tonight, may be I meesed up something during packaging. Do you play default level or some particular levelset?

Technicaly, the "last level" is saved in a "save.dat" file inside the "maps" folder (for default levels). Because the maps folder inside the PND, I put a symboling link between maps/save.dat to ../home/maps.dat (and the same trick to all other levelset inside the PND). But maybe I messed up something with the symbolic link :(

Yes, I have indeed meesed up the package (once more). The symbolic link I created are wrong, they are missing the "..", so they don't works :(

Very sorry about this, I'll upload a build 03 ver soon.

Fixed release on the repo.

Sorry for your lost progression.

v1.2.c.03
------------

• corrected packaging so last level is saved at exit.

Segfaults as soon as I run it.

Edit: problem solved as detailed in this thread

Here's the contents of /tmp/pndrun_ASCIIpOrtal.out right after running it:

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/PSPANDPANDY/pandora/menu/ASCIIpOrtal.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/PSPANDPANDY/pandora/appdata/ASCIIpOrtal
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/ASCIIpOrtal"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PSPANDPANDY/pandora/appdata/ASCIIpOrtal=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/ASCIIpOrtal=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/ASCIIpOrtal"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application (runscript.sh ) ----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting PATH to /mnt/utmp/ASCIIpOrtal:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
--------------------------------------------------------------
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /mnt/utmp/ASCIIpOrtal/lib:/lib:/usr/lib
./runscript.sh: line 53: 2470 Segmentation fault zenity --question --title="ASCIIpOrtal" --text="Launch default levels (no to choose custom levels)"
./runscript.sh: line 50: ans: command not found
./runscript.sh: line 53: 2473 Segmentation fault ./asciiportal -f -m $ans
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (runscript.sh ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/ASCIIpOrtal': Device or resource busy
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 3

And the only line in dmesg that looks relevant is this:

[  402.177764] aufs test_add:261:mount[2460]: uid/gid/perm /mnt/pnd/ASCIIpOrtal 1000/1001/0755, 0/0/0777

New release on the repo, based on latest sources from git. There are quite a few changes, mainly around custom levels. There are many more supplied, and the levelpack selection can be done inside the game, with some difficulty classification also.

Only downside is your previous progression cannot be imported in this new version, so you have to start again from scratch, sorry about that.

v1.3.b7.04

--------------

• New version based on latest code on git
  • Level selection is done within the game now .
  • Warning, if upgrading, you will lost your progression (save format is completly different)
  • Many more custom level inside the pack, and you can add more 
  • Fullsceen fill the screen now (was 640x480 before).
  • Should be compatible with Slackware.

This is becoming my favourite game on the Pandora, even though some levels seem almost impossible.

Back