Release Arora Rift 32X, out now!

Thanks for the feedback, and there will be updates with tweaks and improvements later on, I don't like to see anyone getting left unsatisfied with their purchase. The credit button in the main menu works, but may perhaps be a bit dodgy and returning you immediately to the main menu again, it's something I just noticed. Try a quick button press (don't hold in).

I'm working on the updates alone, so some patience will be required :) And if you have any problems purchasing or running the game, please email me (you can use the contact/support form on the website).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would certainly give this a go if it took full advantage of the Pandora screen & wasn't quite so low res.. any chance of these aspects being improved in the future..?

sorry to ask this here but i am still struggling what noobie mistake am i making?

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/mmcblk1p1/pandora/menu/Arora_Rift_32X/Arora_Rift_32X.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/mmcblk1p1/pandora/appdata/AroraRift32X

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : 800

EXENAME : ./Start_Game.sh

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/AroraRift32X"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk1p1/pandora/appdata/AroraRift32X=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/AroraRift32X=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/AroraRift32X"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Set CPU speed ----------

cpu_mhz_max set to 800

[sUCCESS]--- Set CPU speed ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (./Start_Game.sh ) ----------

ALSA lib pcm.c:7234:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occured

Killed

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (./Start_Game.sh ) ----------

[ START ]--- Reset CPU speed to 600 ----------

cpu_mhz_max set to 600

[sUCCESS]--- Reset CPU speed to 600 ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/AroraRift32X': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

Usage:

losetup loop_device give info

losetup -a | --all list all used

losetup -d | --detach <loopdev> [<loopdev> ...] delete

losetup -f | --find find unused

losetup -c | --set-capacity <loopdev> resize

losetup -j | --associated <file> [-o <num>] list all associated with <file>

losetup [ options ] {-f|--find|loopdev} <file> setup

Options:

-e | --encryption <type> enable data encryption with specified <name/num>

-h | --help this help

-o | --offset <num> start at offset <num> into file

--sizelimit <num> loop limited to only <num> bytes of the file

-p | --pass-fd <num> read passphrase from file descriptor <num>

-r | --read-only setup read-only loop device

--show print device name (with -f <file>)

-v | --verbose verbose mode

WARNING Found /dev/loop0 loop as unused. flushing

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 2

nope my nands kept as freed up as possible and before i ran the pnd i turned the pandora off and on again so there would deffinatelly not be anything unnecisary running or using my memory

:) Congrats on the first commercial Pandora title :) B)

Hopefully pick up a copy later today, as I was looking forward to this (not played the original).

Would be great if you can take on board some of the issues raised but at the same time, I hope you do well on your work so far as well.

It would be great to see a range of useful apps / fun games being sold for Pandora when they are optimised for the platform, which will hopefully become a commercial success for developers/team when units are mass produced in Germany. :)

nope my nands kept as freed up as possible and before i ran the pnd i turned the pandora off and on again so there would deffinatelly not be anything unnecisary running or using my memory

Have you installed the Pandora Community Codec pack since you last reflashed the unit?

yep thats the first thing i always do after reflashing? i think i might just reflash the unit again anyway later cause i apper to be getting this issue with other programmes as well now. which worked fine not long back. my clock is also resetting after every time i turn off the unit (its been doing this for the last 2 days now was fine before sunday)

Note that the graphics takes a considerable amount of RAM to load as they are pretty high-res, so you should preferably not be running anything heavy simultaneously, else the game will end abruptly.

Some news: an update will hopefully be available Monday (if I don't run into any roadblocks, which I doubt), with native Pandora resolution and some general tweaks.
That is great news. I'll check my account downloads on Monday then!

Cheers.

Last edited:
yep well ive tried a re-flash ive cleared the nand to its bare minimum, i set opp to 5 over clocked to 950mhz to see if that would help, arora was the first programme i had loaded up after turning on the panda and i just really can not get iit to run.

Obviously there is something not quite right with my pandora since not a single other persons had an issue yet and have all confirmed this as a good game. Think i might just wait till the next update and see if that helps my unit out at all as this appears to be a lost cause on my pandora.

I am now going to look at this purchace as a donation to a good worthy cause rather than the purchace of a good game.

again if anyone can think of anything trow me a shout please

yep well ive tried a re-flash ive cleared the nand to its bare minimum, i set opp to 5 over clocked to 950mhz to see if that would help, arora was the first programme i had loaded up after turning on the panda and i just really can not get iit to run.

You shouldnt be messing with the nand. they are talking about system memory not nand. The app shouldnt touch the nand at all if it was done properly nor should anything on nand have any effect on running the app.

Also bumping up the OPP and clockspeed is not going to help make something more stable but make it more unstable.

Blackcurtain, would you ever consider offering the option to run multiple depths? If you supported 8 bpp why not let the user choose between that and 32 bpp? I think forcing the app to run at 800 mhz to be a bit risky for stability.

cool cool thanks for the advise i only stripped away smaller files that a couple of the pnds that write to the nand put in the nand that well respected members of the forum suggested where fine to remove without affecting the pandoras performance.

And i rarely overclock my pandora and i certaintly aviod the opp going above three at all cost usually (i like my pandora and would quite like it to have a happy long life)

But in this instance i have tryed all the logical approaches i can think of for making this game run for me and the only thing i haddnt tried that i could think might possibly help was some overclocking so i gave that a bash just to see if the extra bit of umpf helped me get past the loading screen before it exited or crashed. unfortuinately this had no effect what ever i still just got a exit followed by a 2nd attempt resulting in a crash both at the first loading screen.

The game doesn't do anything to the nand and it doesn't force 800 mhz, it simply suggests it because that's a smooth speed for the game. The 8-bit version and 32-bit version are two different games, more than half of the textures and sprites are different and new, so that would mean you would be getting 2 games in 1. I could easily port the 8-bit Arora Rift, it just needs some tweak to the control settings. The idea was that the old 8-bit Arora Rift represents the less powerful Caanoo and the new and shiny 32-bit version represented the much more potent hardware of the Pandora.

The game doesn't do anything to the nand and it doesn't force 800 mhz, it simply suggests it because that's a smooth speed for the game. The 8-bit version and 32-bit version are two different games, more than half of the textures and sprites are different and new, so that would mean you would be getting 2 games in 1. I could easily port the 8-bit Arora Rift, it just needs some tweak to the control settings. The idea was that the old 8-bit Arora Rift represents the less powerful Caanoo and the new and shiny 32-bit version represented the much more potent hardware of the Pandora.

Thanks for the answer, sorry i assumed from that log it was required to run at 800 mhz. I also assumed you just dropped in converted images and not any new content.

Is this all sotware SDL driven? If so have you considered using opengl-es, I would expect it would take a load off the cpu especially with the 32 bpp handling.

right i appologise for having cloged this page with support help (i should have opened a support thread, but initially cause no one else had problems i thought it would be a 1 post fix)

I have finally got arora working. I have never used the minimenu once ive always used xfce however just out of a matter of interest i booted up in to mini menu and i am able to run arora absolutely fine from there (but still can not open through xfce menu)

If anyone else gets an issue this could be worth a try.

Thanks again for the game blackstudios

Back