Arms And Armor

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
The idea for this game popped into my head yesterday, and I plan to make it this summer.
It's a cyberpunk side-scroller, with some ARPG elements. Kinda like Mega Man, except much more awesome.

The year is 2098 or whenever, and body augmentation has become commonplace. Everything from radio implants to full-body replacement can be done, for the right price.

You start out as a human, with a simple pistol (or a GyroJet, for coolness). Throughout the game, you can earn money to buy implants and augmentations. You can choose to stay mostly (or entirely) human, or you can go all the way up to full-body replacement (with or without remote command, so you don't have to risk your precious brain). 

There will be a system that allows you to customize your implants and weapons, kind of like Armored Core in some respects. For instance, if you have a weapon arm, you get the base system (which would function as a weak weapon of whatever type you chose, like beam laser, pulse laser, rocket launcher, chemical gun, or whatever), and you can install upgrade parts on it in various slots. The upgrades would change the mechanics of the weapon (for instance, you could install collimators on the laser, which would make it longer-range but less damaging at close range, or splitters, which would split it into two half-power beams, etc.), and the mechanics of the player (for instance, you can't install a 20-rocket magazine without something powerful enough to lift it; if you try a gigantic weapon while being otherwise human you could rip your arm out of your shoulder trying to lift it).

Money will be earned through missions, killed enemies, and other things I have yet to design.

How's it sound? I plan to develop this during the summer.[copy and paste from that other pandora forum]

Notes: Damage system for cybernetic parts is an idea; many possibilities. Using orx game engine, probably.

There is one thing I wonder about and that is what pros the human only path would have. Cause there really is no reason to pick a path if it only gives you drawbacks, making it useless in a RPG. With other words I want to hear the pros and cons.

btw, Im just a gamer mostly, so read this stuff as it was from a fanboy XD

Cybernetic parts would wear out, be vulnerable to EMP weapons, you can just grab a new gun when you're human, etc. etc.

This sounds like an awesome idea except the part about cybernetic parts wearing out, I never liked that concept in a game, to often it breaks the flow.
Maybe repairing cybernetic parts could be more expensive (unless you have some sort of nano-bots doing the repairs for you).
Or it could have story wise implications.
Anyway it sounds like a great game.

how about some sort of magic/hacking that you can only use when you have no parts and implants?

This all sounds very similar to TINCS (now Human Condition).

Take a look at the jottit we're using for ideas, http://tincs.jottit.com/

It would be cool if we could work within the same universe (I'd be willing to make adjustments to the TINCS backstory). That way, we're not doing the same work twice.

http://tincs.jottit.com/[/URL]

It would be cool if we could work within the same universe (I'd be willing to make adjustments to the TINCS backstory"]. That way, we're not doing the same work twice.
I've already got a bit of backstory planned out. Mine will have a focus on real science (laser blooming and atmospheric effects, you need both energy and gas supplies for firing railguns, etc.) and customization of your character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another downside to being a cyborg could be your enemy could hack your brain (like ghost in the shell)!!

hacking could do the following:
-make you injure your comrades
-disable a function, like jumping, or speech lol, night vision

or

self hacking as in overclocking: appearing to slowing down time, auto-aim etc., but it could come at a risk like damaging yourself.

"Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex": The Laughing Man had the programming talent to hack optical systems on the fly, the only people who could actually see the Laughing Man were the poorest of the poor that had no sensory augmentations, which is unusual in the GitS universe.

Depending on how you set up the storyline, cybernetic conversions might limit your options in choosing who you work for by requiring certain resources. Certain story paths would only be available to those who had minimal cybernetics, or who had the ability to beg-borrow-or steal time in a fully equipped hospital, or who had the raw engineering skills to be able to build their own cybernetics lab. Meanwhile other paths (Section 7, major corporation, etc. stories) having full-conversion cybernetics would be a requirement for employment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back