GP32 Feedback and feasability on some ideas please ?

JDUK

Website
Visit site
Hi all hopefully this summer im gonna have time to start coding for my GP. Ive have experience with C++ & Java and going on to a Computer Science Degree next year so I thought id get something going in my spare time.

Ive had a few ideas, mostly a bit gimmicky based on the capabilities of the system but I thought it would be nice to have something only the GP can do rather than just emulating other systems.

1st off I was planning on utilising the hand held aspect of the unit. Having the ability for the player character to change the orientation of the gaming experience. So hitting L or R trigger would change the angle of the display by 90 degrees in the direction you pressed. Also changing the up, down left right of the Joystick and making sure your using face buttons that are ergonomic to the orientation of the console (So when your playing with the joystick bottom left, start becomes fire, etc). This way you could open up and explore normally unreachable secret areas. What do you think ? about technically and/or ergonomic feasibility?

2nd up is Internet Interactivity. Up on unlocking a secret or after defeating a "boss" the character is given a "vault key" or "treasure map" that contains a code that you would enter on the games web page. This would take you to an online puzzle or game or system of questions that if successfully completed would then allow you to download a random weapon, power suit upgrade, vehicle, companion, ability, etc. that you would load on to your SMC in the game directory allowing you to "load up" you bonus's in game. Items would have variables that are influenced by information the player entered at the start of the game so Jason's:XG-TrippleThreat-Particle Cannon would be different to Dans: XG-TrippleThreat-Particle Cannon, etc.
Hopefully generating a kind of Pokemon collect-'em-up online community where you could trade saved add ons and such. with high scores being output in an encoded form to txt file so you could up load them and have online hig score tables making you careful of who you trade with so oyu don't give them a weapon to beat your score with? Opinions please ?

This is all based on me having a shed load of spare time, and ive got some learning to do as far as implementing some of this stuff and GP32 specific coding goes.

Thank you for the feadback.

Great ideas (especially the internet interactivity one) - although no idea how easy etc it would be to code (not a coder, as I'm sure pretty much everyone on the forums knows by now :) )

On that point (the interactivity one) - have it so the outputs are encrypted to your GP32 PDUID (Ok, so its very very difficult - don't bother with official encryption; just make up something; probably a Zip routine with a password based on their GPUID would be plently, I'm guessing), then upload it to a server to receive your bonus. As you might have guessed, I'm thinking more along the lines of an outputted encrypted file than a code, purely coz its less likely to get forgotten - or spread.

More importantly, you'd need (if you did that) a program that you could, if fed both files - say my Torpedo Launcher and your Catnip (which for some reason I want) - would output the desired one (in this case the catnip) in such a way that it prevented the original one from being loaded - perhaps as long as its loaded, it blocks that unique file (although the powerup can be re-obtained).

I know I'm tripping over myself in the extreme here - haven't fully woken up yet - so don't worry if you can't understand a word of what I'm saying. But they're good ideas. Muchly so.

Do what MGS2 does, and use codes. Issue a code to somebody like XHGW 5GGD GN56 WE2L and have him/her put it into the site. This then returns another code which the player puts into the GP32. Hmm...might be easier to use the RF connector for item 'swapping'.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Id rather use files, rico, because it makes people less reluctant/able to swap you can put a code on a forum but you would need to host of mail a file (not much deterrent at all but a little and the interaction promotes the community). Where as RF link is the other extreme of so few people would be able to do it at all. Another way is to have the web page generating 2 swap codes from input 2 serial numbers then each entering but that makes it easy to duplicate items.

Its not so much "swapping" as giving but you have the factor of there being online league tables so giving others access to your prized super weapon could be risky to your position.

The swapping is mainly to forge a community as well as allow as many different combinations of items as there are players. My degree next year focuses on Digital entertainment. so I feel I need do something a little bigger than just remake mega man, if it works on other levels such as promoting online communities, offering endless combinations that draw the user back to achieve the highest score then I think it would also make a good submition for an assignment.

Cheers

Back