Arkanoid Type Of Game....

salamander

Still Fresh
My wife is gettine bored with Pinball Dreams
She loves the good'n'ol Arkanoid type of games,
so I want to find a good one for her for the gp32_console

Any good ones out there... and what is your favourite?

i often play the nes version of arkanoid (1+2) witl ljgp04. savestates make it very comfortable, so you can play a few minutes without starting in lev 1 over and over again.

but, i also would like to have a game in which the bar can move in every direction or you can move the ball directly.
i used to play "bolo" and "oxyd" on the atariST. but these games are designed for playing with a mouse and not a controller stick.

My first test to make an arkanoid like on GP32 is not very nice (old blopblop), I've break the source ... but I'll completly re-code all for a better gameplay.

Bolcatoid v1.0 from JBB is a good native gp32 breakout, but the move of ball is very strange :( and the AI of enemies very very very basic ... but some ideas, lot of options and the general game is good!

I think the best native breakout game is ARCANO v1, very nice and impressive breakout with lot of visual effet good music (mod) ... sometime a little low frame rate, no enemie, no option and not lot of levels ... but it's my favori breakout :rolleyes:

I know breakout named Arkanoid v0.5xx but not a very good (sorry for the coder :( )
and mine Blopblop not very good too :D

Arcano for some side-turned GP32 action and some LOVELY backgrounds. Without question, Bolkatoid is the best enhanced Arkanoid game out there as yet.

As above, the ST arkanoid's were very very good translations :)

But Arcano does rule for prettyness, if being a very short game..

jeff

> Bolcatoid v1.0 from JBB is a good native gp32 breakout,
> but the move of ball is very strange :(

Is it? How strange?
I coded Bolcatoid in two stages, the preversion 5 level preview was named GP32JBB's BREAKOUT, and had indeed loads of bugs/problems with the ball rebounding quite randomly sometimes. But the final full game, called BOLCATOID, was vastely improved and I thought all the ball movements issues were fixed? If you think otherwise, please advise how to improve the ball behaviour, for the possible v1.1!
This said, you're right, the enemy AI was (and is still) pretty simple, but I don't consider this a massive issue in a breakout clone anyway, as in general your eyes are locked on the ball(s)!

Cheerio,
JBB

@skeezix:
It's possible to make a better "transaltion" in native GP32 mode than every emulator give ;)

@jbb:
I've the ADIC version of your game, and the move of the ball is very strange ... some little circle in the move :blink: ?! For the AI of enemy i suggess you to use more rand direction choice, because your 3 enemy take the same way :unsure:
I'll probably help you to increase your ball move if you like my futur demo :)
coming soon ....

Balcatoid is real nice. The graphics are great as well. The only improvements I can see would be to make the sounds/music louder as I have to turn it up to full to get decent volume. Also the bricks could fill more of the screen, like the Arkanoid clones on the Amiga did. But as it is it is good it is one of the best homebrew on the GP32, certainly the best Arkanoid clone.

@JBB
> Are you planning to make imrovements to the game?

Well, I wasn't really... after all it was freeware, and I moved on.
Then I recently realised the game gathered quite a bit of attention: looks like quite a few people enjoyed my little proggy after all! Good stuff... :)

Note that in the meantime, I went away from the GP for a few months (shame on me... :ph34r: ). I ported BOLCATOID to MorphOS/Pegasos (for the ones who don't know: it's a PowerPC based Amiga clone, upgrade I should say!) and I am wrapping up a new version on this platform (640x480 mode, option screen, a few more bugs fixed).
Once done, I will probably come back to my good old GP32, trying to spice up my motivation by getting myself an overclocked BLU maybe... :lol:

Any suggestions you'd like to see in a v1.1 (if not 2.0!) welcome. It will feed my todo list. No promises, but he: who knows... I might actually have time to implement most of it! ;)
Feel free to email them to: bolcatoid@freeuk.com

Thanks for all your support, and long life to the GP32!
Cheerio,
JBB

> I've the ADIC version of your game, and the move of the ball is very strange ... some little circle in the move :blink: ?!

It's the animation of the ball possibly? It does rotate on itself very rapidly, might look awkward for some... I guess it's a question of taste? Could be turned into an option maybe (ball anim ON/OFF) for future versions, or improved slightly.
But the rebounds of the ball(s) themselves are all right then, I suppose?

Cheers, and good luck with completing your own breakout clone! Those damn things are easy to start, but hellish to actually finish, aren't they!? ;)

JBB

scazw posted on Sep 17 2004 at 01:12 PM said:
why not just emulate arkanoid directly with castaway the atari st emulator
i use it for arkanoid 3 revenge of doh

Is the real name of the enemy "Doh"? I thought that was just a misprint or something. Sounds like a Homer Simpson forgetting his lines - "It is the revenge of...DOH!"

Cheers, and good luck with completing your own breakout clone! Those damn things are easy to start, but hellish to actually finish, aren't they!?

That could be said about almost any program :D Which is why we see so many half-finished projects >.<

Last edited by a moderator:
jbb posted on Sep 18 2004 at 11:26 PM said:
> I've the ADIC version of your game, and the move of the ball is very strange ... some little circle in the move :blink: ?!

It's the animation of the ball possibly? It does rotate on itself very rapidly, might look awkward for some... I guess it's a question of taste? Could be turned into an option maybe (ball anim ON/OFF) for future versions, or improved slightly.
But the rebounds of the ball(s) themselves are all right then, I suppose?

Cheers, and good luck with completing your own breakout clone! Those damn things are easy to start, but hellish to actually finish, aren't they!? ;)

JBB

I like the ball anim, I noticed it and thought it was a nice idea :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:D No one here likes FireStriker for the SNES?

It's like Arkanoid and Zelda . . . together at last!

Back