Are The Keys (buttons) Rubber Of Plastic?

nikkopt said:
that's also true.. but i'm guessing that lots of people will use the keyboard intensively, to write :p
Yes, but these types of keys should be fine as far as thumb-typing is concerned.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
mfk said:
It's possible. Maybe we can sell blank key mat as an extra part in the future. So you can open and change the default mat with blank one. ;)
Sweet!

On my to buy when available list:
Blank keyboard mat.
Spare pandora shell.
Spare battery.

Bryce Leo said:
mfk said:
It's possible. Maybe we can sell blank key mat as an extra part in the future. So you can open and change the default mat with blank one. ;)
Sweet!

Blank keyboard mat.
Spare pandora shell.
Spare battery.

We have intentionally over-ordered on the first batch so as to have spare parts available for purchase. It's not at the top of the list of things to be sorted out right now, but I'll let you know how it will work once it's done.

I can't decide if a entirely black keyboard would be cool like "Das Keyboard" or unusable because you're not touch-typing.

Chip said:
Bryce Leo said:
Blank keyboard mat.
Spare pandora shell.
Spare battery.
We have intentionally over-ordered on the first batch so as to have spare parts available for purchase. It's not at the top of the list of things to be sorted out right now, but I'll let you know how it will work once it's done.

Haha, I'll pre-order those now if it gets me the first slot in line for them ;)

When I learned to type they used typewriters (I know it dates me), and they all had blank keycaps to keep students from cheating.

I imagine dvorack typists will know the layout from memory with only a couple of reference points to situate their fingers.

After all if you are a hunt and peck typist does it even matter what the layout is?

What gets my geek sense tingling is several prototype laptops and netbooks that are a clamshell design with 2 touchpad screens.
Multi configurations possible.

top screen is the 'screen', bottom screen shows a picture of a keyboard and you type on it.
Top screen and bottom screen lay flat and both are used as a double tall screen.
Dual displays both used seperately
or finally a head to head mode for two people to both use the machine at once with the top screen displaying upside down for the second person.

Belthos

Typing on a touchscreen doesn't work that well, though. Maybe with a transparent overlay keyboard... A fast and working touchscreen input system still has to be developed, especially for one-thumb-usage. I think an implementation of Quikwriting could be it.

aliking said:
I meant more like - what other devices have a keyboard like this so that we could get an idea. ZX Spectrum? Or are the keys hardened to such a degree that they feel like plastic?
Excellent. I could put a small rainbow stripe on the top and jump into a timewarp and run a speccy emulator.

They keys are very similar to keys on a mobile phone.

Also similar to keys on top end remote controls.

There are reasons why it's all one piece:

Price, ease of assembly/disassembily, speed, easy replacements & reliability.

Fair enough, should suit the type of typing you would do on such a small device. Bluetooth for the rest.

White Demon said:
totally off topic for a minute

belthos said:
After all if you are a hunt and peck typist does it even matter what the layout is?
I prefer the term 'Columbus typist', ie discover and land

Wouldn't that be more along the lines of: "run into something you weren't expecting. Rape, steal and enslave"?

-God Ginrai

craigix said:

This can be good or this can be bad. :D My Nokia 6310 Mobile has very good Keys, hard and solid and you can't destroy the printing with your fingers...my old Alcatel Mobile had cheap rubber keys where the printing vanishes.
And onto my TV Remote there is no more labeling onto the Rubber Keys :lol: Maybe I have Acid sweat but the Remote definitely looked different when it was new.
So I really hope the Pandora Keys will be real "top end", I don't need a "DAS KEYBOARD" Pandora after half a Year of heavy Usage. ;)

fusion_power said:
craigix said:

This can be good or this can be bad. :D My Nokia 6310 Mobile has very good Keys, hard and solid and you can't destroy the printing with your fingers...my old Alcatel Mobile had cheap rubber keys where the printing vanishes.
And onto my TV Remote there is no more labeling onto the Rubber Keys :lol: Maybe I have Acid sweat but the Remote definitely looked different when it was new.
So I really hope the Pandora Keys will be real "top end", I don't need a "DAS KEYBOARD" Pandora after half a Year of heavy Usage. ;)

At this point I have tons of faith in any design decisions the team make, it's beyond question that they care that the keyboard will be good, and that they'll get it right. But I was curious about what the keyboard could be like and did some research.

This and particularly this make interesting reading.

These kind of keyboards have come on a long way since what I was imagining. There is a lot of control over different aspects of the tactile response and there are a number of ways to avoid the printing being rubbed off. Apparently new technologies for improved legend life are all the buzz in the world of rubber keypads. ;)

I have a similar question:

- Will the keys be tough to press (like Sony Ericsson phones) with a distinctive click when pressed, or will they be easy to press/push down (with no click)?

mazza558 said:
I have a similar question:

- Will the keys be tough to press (like Sony Ericsson phones) with a distinctive click when pressed, or will they be easy to press/push down (with no click)?
I'd say the latter. Mobile phones usually use metal instead of rubber.

I think i'd prefer there to be a click. It would make it more like a real keyboard.

Oh, and for mali: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=plox

I dunno why I didn't just put plox into google in the first place...

EDIT: Is the keyboard going to have spaces between the buttons/keys or not? Different renders show different designs.

Back