Archos 5, allmost same cpu's as Pandora? dream a dream

Pandorarosa

Still Fresh
has anyone seen or heard of this media player?

what are your thoughts of it? It is locked down right now but it is running a version of linux, and should be able to be opened up to use the full force of its internals.

how hard would, you think that would be to do?

I'm going to get one of these as i need something to keep me occupied, next batch I'm going to get a Pandora!

some specs of archos 5 :
Main processor: ARM Cortex-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 600 MHz
- Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz
RAM memory: 128 MB* (Low-Power Double Data Rate SDRAM)

Hard drive, capacity according to the product version
- 60 GB*
- 120 GB*
- 250 GB*

Re: Archos 5, simmular hardware to pandora?

I DO know that the Archos 605 has the same screen as the Pandora.
i have an archos and i enjoy it very, very much.

Re: Archos 5, simmular hardware to pandora?

i read that they have found a way to crack the 605, the 6 is a newer one, little bigger screen and i'm hoping it will be cracked at some point as well, how well does it work? internet surfing good?

Re: Archos 5, allmost same cpu's as Pandora?

The Archos 5 has the same CPU, GPU, and DSP as the Pandora. It is extremely locked down. There is a hack for the Archos 605, it was closed with a firmware update the week after it was released. Nobody is working on finding exploits for it either.

This very well might be a springboard that gets me to start coding, if not that, I'm going to do the best of my ability to try and find good Linux people who will help open this thing up, I see this device has a lot of Potential.

If it is using the same stuff as the Pandora, the pandora dev's might even be able to help open it up, seeing as it's using the same hardware.

of course they would get the Pandora working stable and good first, but what else can I do but "Dream"

Pandorarosa

edit:
If its been exploited once, it can be done again.

Pandorarosa said:
This very well might be a springboard that gets me to start coding, if not that, I'm going to do the best of my ability to try and find good Linux people who will help open this thing up, I see this device has a lot of Potential.

If it is using the same stuff as the Pandora, the pandora dev's might even be able to help open it up, seeing as it's using the same hardware.

of course they would get the Pandora working stable and good first, but what else can I do but "Dream"

Pandorarosa

edit:
If its been exploited once, it can be done again.

I see your post on archosfans so I don't need to tell you the link, but if you didn't know the original exploit was just running a command "1;/mnt/data/openpma-ng.sh;/bin/chown -R nobody:nobody /home/nobody" by putting it in the password box for the wireless file server. It was blocked a couple of weeks later.

But if you want info, it would be fastest to PM members there (kb and fiat mostly)

Wow, the site admin from archosfans, the one who did the video interview with ED, is annoying. :twisted:

Pandorarosa said:
Just curious, if the hardware s the same, except it is closed hard and doesn't have gaming controls, why would the Pandora devs want to open it up? (Not saying they wouldn't, just doesn't seem worthwhile or beneficial to me.)

i doubt it. craig was in a pretty exclusive deal with TI and that would NOT be good for relations.

"Thanks again for all the help, oh and sorry for screwing with your other customers. We cool?"

Kyosys said:
"Thanks again for all the help, oh and sorry for screwing with your other customers. We cool?"

sorry about that.

i never was good at dealing with subjective situations,

sorry for getting anyone confused.

Pandorarosa.

off topic/archos bashing ensue:
I wouldn't be too hasty to go and buy one. I was an early supporter of Archos since the gmini, but I can't buy from them anymore the way they did business. I bought the 604wifi at overpriced, a device with so much software and hardware bugs. Only for them to only release the 605 not long later and took almost a year to make a firmware update (604) when I sold it already. Not to mention I have to buy the same overpriced, poorly designed AAC plugin for two different players. And the poor customer service that did not fix my Archos 404 that has a bad Hitachi harddrive (Hitachi 1.8" harddrives had an infamous legacy with the Rio Karma that the company recommended the user to bang the player with their hand to unstuck the hdd). Although I don't know what hdd brand they are using currently. This Archos 5 looks very good as a pmp, but I don't know if they allow opensource developing for their devices yet. Even with that much power, only paid designed game with limited gameplay and control isn't what I wanted. Excellent pmp player though. I still love the Windows-like style of file browsing the device offers.

I am not buying a archos, i read the complaints, and it looked just like it was a waste of my time, i ended up getting an aspire one, that will get here around the time the pandora was supposed to ahahaha.

Back