Archos 5/7 Imt + Angström!

mali

-
Website
Visit site
Archos releases Angström developer firmware for its Internet Media Tablets:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/28/archos-releases-developer-edition-firmware-for-internet-tablets/

This is good news :)
I've been interested in Archos' newest slate with OMAP3, but Android put me off. It's a great piece of hardware and a Pandora compatible Angström would make it really interesting as the 8GB version is just 229EUR€. What do you think?

Edit:
It seems the firmware is for the older non-Android versions, which are even cheaper. The Cortex A8 is clocked at 600MHz in those, the newer Android tablet's CPU is clocked at 800MHz.

http://slashdot.org/submission/1124092/Archos-releases-Dev-Edition-firmware-for-Tablets

Edit2:
homei.jpg

I bet my friend will be excited about this. He got an Archos a while ago and didn't like the interface and has been looking for someone to hack it. Now he doesn't need to.

That's matchbox they're using :)
Me likes our xfce4 better :D

But that can be easily installed now that the Archos does support Angström, cool :D

For a brief instant, this made me want to get one of those things. Then I realized that it doesn't fix any of the other problems I have with them, like a battery that's a pain in the ass to replace, or the proprietary ports. And if the developer image doesn't get codec support that will make use of the hardware features, it's no good as a PMP, or at least not as good as the regular firmware. I dunno, I'm keeping an eye on it, as the Archos players are probably the closest thing on the market to my ideal PMP, but they always fall short in some very important ways.

I really hope that this takes off and Archos opens up their future tablets, too.
The Nokia N900 is an epic fail in my opinion and I need something to replace my N800. It should be easy to benefit from the Beagleboard and Pandora code to enable hardware acceleration on the Archos 5/7. The problem is, that it doesn't have an SGX, though. The newest OMAP 3440 tablet would be awesome if it was open. The hardware for that price is unbeatable, right now. I'm thinking about gambling and just buy the Android tablet.
Why oh why couldn't Nokia build another Internet Tablet instead of a stupid brick-phone with micro display, sigh.

I personally am looking forward for the new hardware update of WireLession W1060. Will have capacitive screen with multi-touch. Ofc' the announced release is for the 1st quarter of 2010.

What I don't get is, what drives them to spread such rumours.. don't they want this version to be sold? 'Cause as soon as I heard this I was like: Fuck this, I'll rather wait.

archue said:
I personally am looking forward for the new hardware update of WireLession W1060. Will have capacitive screen with multi-touch. Ofc' the announced release is for the 1st quarter of 2010.

What I don't get is, what drives them to spread such rumours.. don't they want this version to be sold? 'Cause as soon as I heard this I was like: Fuck this, I'll rather wait.
You would wait for what? The hardware update of WireLession W1060 or wait for it to have Ångström to be on the W1060?

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
archue said:

You would wait for what? The hardware update of WireLession W1060 or wait for it to have Ångström to be on the W1060?

the first

archue said:
second exodous said:
archue said:

the first
Ah, ok, was a little confused.

It does sound somewhat strange that they released this information on a current product, why not just let people buy it and announce it what it's done?

Back