Archos 43 Vs Openpandora

256px-PandoraFront.JPG

A43it_google_search.png

Well I'm quite excited about the Archos 43 because it will be affordable, slim, and capable. The Archos 43 will be available in 8gb or 16gb for 200-250 USD.
The Specs of the Archos 43
Price: 200-250 USD
Operating System: Android 2.2
Processor: 1ghz Arm Cortex A8 (I think I just had a nerdgasm)
Ram: 256mb
Storage: 8gb to 16gb plus microsd expansion
Screen: 4.3 854x480 resistive touchscreen
Connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI out through mini hdmi, Usb 2.0 slave device and host device (through adapter)
Camera: 2mp stills with no flash and 720p HD video recording
Battery Life: Music: 36 hours Video: 10 hours Web Browsing: 12 hours
OpenPandora Specs
Price: 350 USD
Operating System: Angstrom with custom interface
Processor: 600mhz Arm cortex A8
Ram: 256mb
Storage: 512mb of ROM plus dual sdhc cards
Screen: 4.3inch 800x480 resistive touchscreen
Connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0, Usb 2.0 slave device and host device (through integrated port)
Camera: none
Battery Life: Music: 100 hours Video: 10 hours Games: 8-10
Why I would like the OpenPandora more: integrated USB host, removable battery, dual sdhac card slots (better expandability), battery life, games and emulators (obviously), and comes with Angstrom out of the box (however Angstrom could be easily be ported to the Archos 43)
Why I like the Archos 43 more: cheaper, Adobe Flash 10.1, Nicer design (keep in mind that is my personal taste style is completely subjective), can fit into a pocket easier, better codec support, HDMI out, HD Cam faster wifi and Bluetooth, Faster processor
The source of my info: Wikipedia OpenPandora and Archos 43 Internet Tablet
I think the Archos would be better as an mid and pmp and the OpenPandora better as a games system, but I think it is fun to compare.

I don't see how this really compares. Pandora is primarily a game console. This is more of a mini tablet.

Nova said:
I don't see how this really compares. Pandora is primarily a game console. This is more of a mini tablet.
I was just comparing specs for specs. I was really comparing the two devices as mids. There are things that are better about Pandora like integrated USB host port, keyboard, and better battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of getting this. Any one got the Archos 43? Looks sick, nice and pocketable - can have a separate phone to this and get myself some old school, gray screen nokia purely for phone calls (got a htc hero at mo and my battery gets drained enough as it is just texting/web browsing and listening to music...will be nice to have separate devices).

PSx emulation looks ace on android and we're probably gonna get n64 emulation. :D

Real late responding to this one, but I am wondering..

Why buy this over an iPod Touch? The price is about the same, the resolution is lower, the OS is worse (IMO, or at least iOS has a much broader apps selection.. is this even allowed on Google marketplace?).. RAM is the same, processor is about the same, graphics on the iPod Touch are probably better, this only has one camera.

Only real benefit I see is that it that this has microSD and USB.

Exophase said:
Real late responding to this one, but I am wondering..

Why buy this over an iPod Touch? The price is about the same, the resolution is lower, the OS is worse (IMO, or at least iOS has a much broader apps selection.. is this even allowed on Google marketplace?).. RAM is the same, processor is about the same, graphics on the iPod Touch are probably better, this only has one camera.

Only real benefit I see is that it that this has microSD and USB.
Well you can install the Android market on this thing very easily. For 20 dollars more you get 16gb's plus microsd expansion vs 8gb's and no expansion. The graphics on the iPod Touch are the same, both use a PowerVr SGX535. For many Android is a benefit. I'm probably going to end up with a Viliv n5 anyways.

linuxftw said:
Well you can install the Android market on this thing very easily. For 20 dollars more you get 16gb's plus microsd expansion vs 8gb's and no expansion. The graphics on the iPod Touch are the same, both use a PowerVr SGX535. For many Android is a benefit. I'm probably going to end up with a Viliv n5 anyways.

I don't know of any publicly available SoC that uses SGX535 and Cortex-A8. If it's a TI part then it's an SGX530, which has half the TMUs.

For $299 you can get a 32GB iPod Touch. A 16GB option is conspicuously missing :/ I imagine it'd retail for around $250, but it could well be a lot more.. Apple really gets you on NAND charges :/

Exophase said:
linuxftw said:

I don't know of any publicly available SoC that uses SGX535 and Cortex-A8. If it's a TI part then it's an SGX530, which has half the TMUs.

For $299 you can get a 32GB iPod Touch. A 16GB option is conspicuously missing :/ I imagine it'd retail for around $250, but it could well be a lot more.. Apple really gets you on NAND charges :/
I like the 43 because you get a bigger screen and you could always expand it past 16gb for less money than the 32gb ipod Touch

Yeah, but microSDs get pretty expensive. At least $80 for 32GB, right? $23 for 16GB though, amazingly. So I guess to meet 32GB you'd be saving a little bit. It's all a little splitting hairs-ish.

Removable storage will have other benefits, of course.

Back