Aquafish's Multi Firmware V5 !!

aquafish_ posted on Jul 10 2004 at 09:33 AM said:
use a zpr configuration file as default boot ! ;)
Hmm... interesting idea... now I got custom menus to work.

I created a firmware which autoboots gp:\\boot.zpr if it exists.
So far, this works fine.
Pretty good for my custom menus :)

BUT... (the big but :)) what I couldn't find out, is how to create a
gp:\\boot.zpr which autoloads an fxe (e.g. gp:\\gpmm\fgb32.fxe)

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Aquafish - You're website doesn't appear to be working to me. Is there another place where I can download this FW?

EDIT: Nevermind, you can get it from here.

generalnmx posted on Jul 10 2004 at 11:27 PM said:
gp:\\boot.zpr which autoloads an fxe (e.g. gp:\\gpmm\fgb32.fxe)

Rename it "boot.fxe", put it in your gp:\ directory, then hold DOWN on the directional pad as you start your GP32.
Yup, I knew this - but I don't want to hold down any button.
Just insert SMC, turn on and run :)

If it's not possible atm: Maybe it would be a nice update to add the option "autoboot" in a zpr-file :)

Last edited:
hmm you mean to say there's no way of it autobooting an fxe without pressing down? the old version of aquafirmware can do this and it's very useful, I'm put off flashing if it can't do this....

Well, you CAN autoboot a file...

But AFAIK only in two ways:

1. Either select it and press B. It will autoboot when you turn on the GP for the next time. Won't work with multiple SMCs though, cause every SMC usually needs to autoboot a different file. You can select the new one and press B again, so it will autoboot as long as you don't change the SMC... not suitable for me ;)

2. Give the same name to the file you want to autoboot on every SMC... not a nice solution, in my opinion.

Here's some explanation what I found out about how the new multifirmware works:

1. You have a bios with PacRom, YAFL/WindUps and EuroFW on your GP32.
It also features a nice launcher when you turn it on, which you can configure.

2. The main configuration of the launcher is stored in the internal memory of the GP32. So you always have a completely configurable default menu.
(you can create your manu using ZPR Maker and saving it as conf.zpr on the main dir of your SMC. When you boot into the launcher and press L, the conf.zpr updates the configuration in your GP32 and you have a new default menu).

3. Every item in the default launcher menu can be set to autoboot by pressing B.

4. When you are in autoboot mode, press select while turning your GP on to skip autoboot and start the launcher.

5. You can also directly boot into a different bioses or run "boot.fxe" on your SMC by pressing various directions while turning on (ie. pressing down while turning on runs the boot.fxe)

This is a perfectly configurable and very flexible Launcher :) Very nice.
If you only have one SMC, you can have all the programs you love directly implemented in the default menu of the launcher :) Great!
But if you have more than one SMC, you need custom menus, right?
Right!

*** HOW TO HAVE DIFFERENT MENUS FOR DIFFERENT SMCs: ***
You can have them this way:

a. Create a default boot config which autoboots a ZPR file (eg. boot.zpr)
(You know, as described above: ZPR Maker, conf.zpr on default dir, go into launcher, press L, select the ZPR entry in the launcher and press B)
I'd suggest you create a simple conf.zpr which includes PacRom, EuroFW, YAFL/Windups and boot.zpr

b. Now every time you turn your GP32 on, it tries to autoboot boot.zpr
You can easily create different zpr files for every SMC so you automatically
get custom menus :)
If the GP32 doesn't find boot.zpr, it will automatically go into the launcher.
Nice.

Now I have described two different possibilities:
Create and use a config file for guys with just one SMCs (pretty fast booting :))
Create and use a config which automatically loads a custom config from your SMC.

The only problem left is:
You can't configure an autoboot item using ZPR Maker. You can ONLY turn on the autoboot option with the B button of your GP32 when you're in the launcher.
But you can ONLY turn it on, when you're in the DEFAULT MENU configuration.

You CAN'T turn it on when a custom configuration has already been autobooted.

Example:

I have configured my GP32 as described above. It automatically loads the custom menu "boot.zpr" from the SMC when I turn it on.
I have created a "boot.zpr" which only includes gp:\\gpmm\fgb32.fxe.

Now when I insert the SMC and turn the GP32 on, this happens:

1. The BIOS looks for the file boot.zpr, finds it and automatically loads it.
2. Then the boot.zpr-configured launcher shows up - showing only one item: fgb32.fxe. I can run it by pressing A, but I CAN'T configure a boot.zpr which autoloads fgb32.fxe.
So this is the only feature I'd like to add: Include autoboot option in the ZPR-configs :)

Everything's clear? :)

very nice ED - what about getting aquafish to include your notes in the readme? would probably help out a lot of folks

for now though I'm sticking with ver 4.8, I don't think there's much I'll benefit from in the new version

Just insert SMC, turn on and run
If it's not possible atm: Maybe it would be a nice update to add the option "autoboot" in a zpr-file
ok evildragon, i'll do that.

Meh, I got an error saying it couldn't read fw.bin.
are you sure that you've put the firmware file in gp:\fw.bin ?? (as explained in the readme.. )

aquafish_ posted on Jul 11 2004 at 11:28 AM said:
If it's not possible atm: Maybe it would be a nice update to add the option "autoboot" in a zpr-file 
Great, thanks :)

It's one of the (if not THE) most complete firmwares out there :)
I love the new launcher :)
A lot of free slots for my favourite games :)

Last edited:
right, i´ve got a similar problem like evil dragon. I want one of my SMC´s to autoboot into Windups, and the other one into the european firmware. Would be great, if we could make he .zpr autoboot into something with the zpr-maker

Horscht posted on Jul 11 2004 at 01:23 PM said:
right, i´ve got a similar problem like evil dragon. I want one of my SMC´s to autoboot into Windups, and the other one into the european firmware. Would be great, if we could make he .zpr autoboot into something with the zpr-maker
Read aquafish_ post above. ;) (His last one)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, i've flashed my GP32, but now i can't get in pc-link mode.
it says:
SMC error
pleas insert SMC
blahblah.

should have read the readme better, sorry
it's a bug.

i recently had to reformat my smc and now the card will not read on the gp32. pacroms and yafl just keep trying to load with nothing happening (possibly because i lost their GPETC config files). pressing L and R in pacroms gives the message: cannt open gp:\conf.zpr but i placed the default one from mfw5 into the root. i have her knights (commercial smc) and it loads and runs in all fws just fine. please help

update: booted with her knights and went to smc repair in pacroms and switched smcs to repair the bad one. 33 blocks repaired that winxp didn't seem to find or report. card works fine, but i'll wait for the next release of mfw to reinstall the missing files still preventing me from using yafl and all of the functionality of pacroms.

aquafish_ posted on Jul 11 2004 at 02:28 AM said:

Meh, I got an error saying it couldn't read fw.bin.
are you sure that you've put the firmware file in gp:\fw.bin ?? (as explained in the readme.. )
Yeah, I did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx , i need a hand making my zprs.

In the left box, i put

gp:\gpmm\gigas.fxe

and in the right box i put

Gigas

I dosent work... am i doing it right?

you click on the circle you want the .fxe linked to

check the "FXE from" box

write the EXACT path including file name in the left box.

In the "Name:" box you don't really have to put anything matter of preference.

Then press "Change"

You now can move onto the next circle by clicking it and repeating the process.

Once you have finished press "Save As" and make sure you name it "conf.zpr"

transfer the conf.zpr to your gp32 base directory put "bconf.fxe" in the "GPMM" directory, then switch on and run "bconf.fxe" it should tell you to restart.

That should get it working it worked for me at least and it now has all my progs loaded correctly.

Another thing by clicking on "General Options" initialize smc on boot then clicking on load icons from fxe will make it show the progs icon. :D

Back