Apple II Emulator

Cas

Hi

Has anybody got the Apple II emulator to work ?

After installing and booting it up I press F3 to load a dsk image.

I choose the dsk image and press enter as it states, nothing , it just sits there.

Am I missing something here, or does it not just work ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is like some of the other emulators for computers, loading a disk image is equivalent to putting a physical disk in the drive - you probably need to type in some commands in order to load/run whatever is on the disk.

If it is like some of the other emulators for computers, loading a disk image is equivalent to putting a physical disk in the drive - you probably need to type in some commands in order to load/run whatever is on the disk.

Hi

Cannot find anything in the instructions that came with it or shown via the F1 key.

As you say it is just inserting the disk in drive, then you need to run it, but how ?

It just goes back to the splash screen, now what ?

Why do people put out emulators and assume people will know what to do, aaarrrggghhh.............

Because it is assumed that you actually *owned* an Apple ][ at some stage. Google around for an Apple ][ user guide, and follow those instructions.

It has been a while since I have used this emu, but I think after inserting a disk image using F3 you then need to reset the Apple II. Press F1 to bring up the options and one of the function keys is assigned to this.

Once you do this your chosen disk image should start.

Hope that helps

Yes, as tuki_cat said, you have to "reboot" the virtual machine with the "disk" in the "drive." So after you load the disk image with F3, you need to "reboot" the system with F2 (I think those are the correct keys anyway).

Yes, as tuki_cat said, you have to "reboot" the virtual machine with the "disk" in the "drive." So after you load the disk image with F3, you need to "reboot" the system with F2 (I think those are the correct keys anyway).

Hi

Thanks, thats it :)

Hi

Thanks, thats it :)

I'm trying to remember the real reset key combo on the Apple ][e. CTRL + open apple + DEL ?

Yes - you need to hit F3/F4 to load disks into Drive 1 and Drive 2 respectively and then hit F2 to boot the machine. Every time you change disks to play a different game or run a different program you should reboot.

Here is a copy of the readme that I packaged in with the emulator. Please feel free to ask me any questions or make any suggestions!

Linapple for the OpenPandora
----------------------------

Linapple for the OpenPandora is an emulator of the Apple][ computer series on the amazing handheld system, the OpenPandora, which conveniently runs Linux (Angstrom).

The original source is from AppleWin (http://applewin.berlios.de) by Tom Charlesworth.

Beom Beotiger adapted it to Linux (video+audio for SDL, other functions for POSIX compliant OS).

CFWhitman and I have adapted it to the OpenPandora. Several of the interface routines needed to be rewritten, and other SDL related items required some translation. None of

this would have been possible without the herculean efforts of CFWhitman, who first ported linapple to the OpenPandora and Beom Beotiger who ported AppleWin to Linux.

Also, without the original AppleWin, none of this would even exist. I was lucky to have inherited such fantastic code to work with!

[uSING LINAPPLE]

When the emulator starts, you should see the splashscreen. Press F2 to start emualtion. Master.dsk should load, and you will see an DOS3.3 prompt.

To quit, press F10. F6 toggles fullscreen mode, Start pauses the emulator, and Select toggles fullspeed mode.

Here are all of the key commands:

F1 - Show help screen

F2 - Cold reset

Shift+F2 - Reload conf file and restart

F3 - Choose a disk for Slot 6 - Drive 1

F4 - Choose a disk for Slot 6 - Drive 2

Shift+F3 - Choose a HD Image for Slot 7 - Drive 1

Shift+F4 - Choose a HD Image for Slot 7 - Drive 2

F5 - Swap drives for Slot 6

F6 - Toggle fullscreen mode

F7 - <<Reserved for Debugger>>

F8 - Save current screen as a .bmp file

Shift+F8 - Save runtime changeable settings into the linapple.conf file

F9 - Cycle through the various video modes

F10 - Quit emulator

F11 - Save current state to file, Alt+F11 - quick save

F12 - Reload current state from file, Alt+F12 - quick load

Ctrl+0..9 - Fast load state snapshot with corresponding number, saved previously by

Ctrl+Shift+0..9 - Fast save snapshot to current snapshot directory with corresponding number 0..9

Ctrl+F12 - Hot reset

Start - Pause emulator

Select - Toggle full speed

£ (GBP) Key - Slow down Emulator

¥ (JPY) Key - Speed up Emulator

Insert - Normal speed

A Button - Joystick Button 0 (Changeable in linapple.conf)

X Button - Joystick Button 1 (Changeable in linapple.conf)

Y Button - Joystick Button 2 (Changeable in linapple.conf)

To use the nubs as joysticks, the embedded script should configure them properly, but

you may need to enable them as such in the Pandora Settings.

Many other settings are available in the linapple.conf file, which should be located in /pandora/appdata/linapple.

[CONTACTS]

OpenPandora Version:

Jerry Blade (jerry@lavishzone.com)

CFWhitman

http://linapplepandora.sourceforge.net/

Original Linux Version

I am beom beotiger (bb), you may contact me at your will by my email beotiger@mail.ru

Web site: http://linapple.sourceforge.net

Thanks!

OpenPandora + Apple ][ = Nirvana! :)

Back