Apple II Emulator

Hi!

Thanks for this, but I can't get the PND to run. If i click on it nothing happens.

Do you have the same issue Jerry Blade?

I just re-downloaded it, and it worked fine. Are you running the latest firmware or still the old one?

Hi,

For some reason it now works great! Not sure why!

Do you still need to put the nubs into Joystick mode manually?

Thanks for your work on this

There is something funky happening with the shell script that loads the actual app. It *should* put the nubs in joystick mode and then return them to their previous state, but for some reason, that isnt working correctly anymore. I am working on a fix, but in the meantime, the only way to ensure they work as joysticks is to put the nubs in joystick mode manually. My apologies for the inconvenience. As soon as I can get this fixed, I'll upload a new version.

Thanks!

-Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Not an inconvenience at all, just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the problem.

Thanks again for you work on this, Apple II brings back a lot of good memories! :)

I updated the shell script to take advantage of the new nub script in SuperZaxxon (Thanks Notaz!!!). So, you should not need to manually set the nubs in joystick mode anymore if you are running the latest firmware!

Code:
For OpenPandora linapple version 1.5.1.0:

Updated shell script loader to use new SuperZaxxon nub script when available

Give it a try, and let me know how it works!

Thanks!

-Jerry

Thanks a beelion for this great port. Truly great is the configurable keys to map keyboard to dpad and buttons. Every computer emu for Pandora should follow suit.

Didnt the apple have arrow keys? I would like to map U Keypad, D, L, R to apple arrow keys for Ultima IV testing. Thanks!

Any chance this can be modified to support the d-pad as a joystick? I've been playing Karateka (isnpired by Jordan Mechner's 'Making of Prince of Persia' book) and I can't run, the up-right diagonal doesn't seem to work. Could be my nub maybe but I don't think so, maybe the dead-zones aren't quite right?

Anyway, D-Pad would be better for digital joystick control, I think. Great emulator BTW!

I dont remember a digital joystick on the apple II, only analog.

The Apple II had only left and right arrow keys and i think most games mapped to up/down. The Apple IIe had four keys for up,down,left,right.

I do not see how to map arrow keys to dpad in the config file - what is the keycode for these?

Ok, for Ultima IV, I remembered was up (north) and / was down (south) but I cannot move left/right since these need to be mapped to the Apple II arrow keys. HALP!

<br>

Looking at the source, Keyboard.cpp shows the dpad mapped to apple arrow keys:

<br>

case SDLK_LEFT: keycode = 0x08; break;

case SDLK_UP: keycode = 0x0B; break;

case SDLK_RIGHT:keycode = 0x15; break;

case SDLK_DOWN: keycode = 0x0A; break;

case SDLK_DELETE:keycode = 0x7F;break

<br>

but is this overridden by the porter's dpad keymap?

<br>

Frame.cpp: KeybQueueKeypress(pandoraremaps[0],ASCII) ...etc

<br>

Trying to make the source within cdevtools, from sourceforge linapplepandora tbz... gives me a million error messages starting with...

<br>

stdafx.h:15:18: error: math.h: No such file or directory

stdafx.h:16:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory

stdafx.h:17:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory

stdafx.h:18:20: error: string.h: No such file or directory

stdafx.h:20:18: error: time.h: No such file or directory

why isnt the pandora port finding the std includes?

I hope the maintainer stops by the forum again someday :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, for Ultima IV, I remembered Return was up (north) and / was down (south) but I cannot move left/right since these need to be mapped to the Apple II arrow keys. HALP!

sorry I just saw this - I check the forums regularly but somehow missed these posts. Looking into it now!

This emulator was originally for generic Linux, which I then ported over to run on the Pandora. That section of Keyboard.cpp really maps the linux keyboard arrow keys to what the Apple ][ expects for those arrow keys. As there are no arrow keys on the Pandora, those mappings do not work. However, using the linapple.conf file, you can map those codes generically to the d-pad by putting their decimal equivalents into that section as highlighted in red like this:

#######################################################################

#

# Custom Keyboard Mapping

# Map the following Keys using ASCII values (ex: A-Z = 65-90)

A Button = 0

B Button = 0

X Button = 0

Y Button = 0

R Button = 0

L Button = 0

U Keypad = 11

D Keypad = 10

R Keypad = 21

L Keypad = 8

Lode Runner.dsk - A Button = 85

Lode Runner.dsk - B Button = 79

Lode Runner.dsk - X Button = 0

Lode Runner.dsk - Y Button = 0

Lode Runner.dsk - R Button = 0

Lode Runner.dsk - L Button = 0

Lode Runner.dsk - U Keypad = 73

Lode Runner.dsk - D Keypad = 75

Lode Runner.dsk - R Keypad = 76

Lode Runner.dsk - L Keypad = 74

############ >>> CUSTOM DISK BASED CONTROL SECTION ENDS HERE <<< ###########

Alternately, you could create another section for the disk-based keymaps as with Lode Runner, but you would need to copy the maps for all four Ultima IV disks to make sure you didn't lose your arrow keys as you swapped disks. I just did this, and it works for me. Please let me now if you have any questions.

Thanks!

-Jerry

Any chance this can be modified to support the d-pad as a joystick? I've been playing Karateka (isnpired by Jordan Mechner's 'Making of Prince of Persia' book) and I can't run, the up-right diagonal doesn't seem to work. Could be my nub maybe but I don't think so, maybe the dead-zones aren't quite right?

Anyway, D-Pad would be better for digital joystick control, I think. Great emulator BTW!

As someone already commented, there was only an analog joystick for the Apple ][. However, you could map the keyboard keys to the d-pad and the buttons which would then behave more like a digital joystick:

Keyboard Mappings:

SPACE - ALTERNATES BETWEEN STAND OR RUN MODES (U D-PAD)

Q - PUNCH TO HEAD (A Button)

A - PUNCH TO BODY (X Button)

Z - PUNCH TO LEG (L Shoulder Button)

W - KICK TO HEAD (Y Button)

S - KICK TO BODY (B Button)

X - KICK TO LEG (R Shoulder Button)

B - BOW (D D-PAD)

Left - Move Left (L D-PAD)

Right - Move Right (R D-PAD)

This could be done as follows (changes in red). Also, remember the disk needs to be named EXACTLY the same as what you put in the custom keyboard section in the linapple.conf.

#######################################################################

#

# Custom Keyboard Mapping

# Map the following Keys using ASCII values (ex: A-Z = 65-90)

A Button = 0

B Button = 0

X Button = 0

Y Button = 0

R Button = 0

L Button = 0

U Keypad = 0

D Keypad = 0

R Keypad = 0

L Keypad = 0

Karateka.dsk - A Button = 81

Karateka.dsk - B Button = 83

Karateka.dsk - X Button = 65

Karateka.dsk - Y Button = 87

Karateka.dsk - R Button = 88

Karateka.dsk - L Button = 90

Karateka.dsk - U Keypad = 32

Karateka.dsk - D Keypad = 66

Karateka.dsk - R Keypad = 21

Karateka.dsk - L Keypad = 8

############ >>> CUSTOM DISK BASED CONTROL SECTION ENDS HERE <<< ###########

Thanks for the help guys, I shall try this in a couple of days (after my exam; I'm in the cram as we speak - shouldn't even be reading this, let alone posting!)

BTW... I put that Karateka mapping on my Pandora, and wow... it is so much easier to play this way. I played it all the way to the end last night! Crush your exam gunrock, and then reward yourself with some well-earned Karateka downtime :)

I'm having a little trouble with the nubs in Conan and Wings of Fury.

In WOF I can't move diagonally-up so I can never 'take-off' at the beginning of the game. I don't think I can workaround the issue via keyboard mapping as I believe WOF requires a joystick.

In Conan the nubs don't work unless I press the Apple II's Joystick button 2 - then I can move with the nub but as soon as I jump or throw an axe (Apple-Joy-Buttons 0 & 1) the nub stops working again until I press Apple-Joy-Button 2.

I did manage to keyboard-map the D-pad for Conan which makes things better except Conan can either walk or run which works much better with an analogue control.

Not sure how to fix these problems (running super zaxxon 1.52).

Other games I've tried which work well on this fantastic emulator are:

RescueRaiders

LodeRunner (keyboard hack edition)

BlackMagic

Cheers

I will take a look at it, but I am sure I was able to play Conan on mine. I'll give WoF a look too. It might have to do with the way buttons 0 1 2 work. If you don't need button 2, don't enable it. Let me look into it and check back in!

Yes... Rescue Raiders is awesome... It's my goto game on the plane :)

Back