Apple II Emulator

No dice on setting the nub into Joystick mode and then using a "PC" joystick in the conf file. Currently, joystick support is as a mouse which isn't horrible, but has some control lag associated with it.

I ran the linapple -b video benchmark on both executables. Here are the results:

O2

Pure Video FPS: 98 hires, 107 text

Pure CPU MHz: 18.6

Expected Average Video Game Performance: 93 FPS

O3

Pure Video FPS: 97 hires, 110 text

Pure CPU MHz: 20.4

Expected Average Video Game Performance: 95 FPS

These two are virtually identical. Time to see how they play :)

Last edited by a moderator:
No dice on setting the nub into Joystick mode and then using a "PC" joystick in the conf file. Currently, joystick support is as a mouse which isn't horrible, but has some control lag associated with it.

Hmm. The Joystick works fine in the x86 build. It uses SDL joystick functions. Since I don't have my Pandora, I can't experiment to see what might be going on.

Hmm. The Joystick works fine in the x86 build. It uses SDL joystick functions. Since I don't have my Pandora, I can't experiment to see what might be going on.

It might be how the Pandora implements the Joystick? If it doesn't come through as a PC Joystick, it probably isn't reading it. This cannot be that hard to fix if we can figure out how to Poll the nubs being used as a Joystick. Also, it would be cool to use the shoulder buttons as the 2 joystick buttons. That way for games like Rescue Raiders, you can push both at the same time easily :)

Anyone have a suggestion on this?

Was there any significant difference between the O2 and the O3 compiled versions? At this point, I suspect not.

I was going to make a PND once I thought I had a handle on how to put one together and had time to do it.

Was there any significant difference between the O2 and the O3 compiled versions? At this point, I suspect not.

I was going to make a PND once I thought I had a handle on how to put one together and had time to do it.

I have seen ZERO difference between the O2 and O3 versions. Clocking the CPU at 750 Mhz smoothed out the emulator *immensely*.

I was using this as a guide:

Making a PND

I made a couple of PNDs that launch the app correctly but don't include sound (I suspect it will need some libraries, and installing ldd keeps failing...). Also, I am not sure how to get it to look in appdata/linapple for the disks, and when I do actually load a disk and boot, it quits immediately. This is probably tied to one of these issues.

I do have a nice icon made! heh

Here is the PXML.xml I am using:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<PXML xmlns="http://openpandora.org/namespaces/PXML">
<application id="linapple" appdata="linapple">
<title lang="en_US">Apple ][</title>
<description lang="en_US">linapple for the OpenPandora!</description>
<version major="1" minor="1" release="0" build="0" />
<exec command="./linapple.sh" background="true" standalone="true" />
<author name="beom beotiger" website="http://linapple.sourceforge.net/" email="beotiger@mail.ru" />
<icon src="icon.png" />
<categories>
<category name="Emulator">
</category>
</categories>
</application>
</PXML>and the shell script loader:

#!/bin/sh
export HOME=/mnt/utmp/linapple
./linappleand the icon:

Icon removed by lunixbochs - it causes Google to mark this page as malware and doesn't exist anyway.

icon.png

Feel free to expand on this... This is my first PND, and I am sure I am missing something.

Ok... this is my first PND so if I messed something up, please let me know, and i will fix it.

Special thanks go out to freedomdown for his graphical PNDBuilder. It made this pretty easy once I had a proper PXML.xml and icon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2dw9z1n67nbrub1

Once the appdata/linapple directory is created, I created a disks folder to store my Apple ][ disks. Also, it drops the linapple.conf settings file in that directory. Finally, hit F1 to see how to load disks and reboot ect...

The only outstanding issue that I can see is getting the nubs to behave as an Apple Joystick when put in Joystick mode. Right now, the only way to use the nubs is with the mouse emulation mode built into linapple. This is ok but far from perfect.

Have fun!

Looking at the code, it looks like any joystick recognized as the first SDL joystick really ought to work if

Code:
Joystick 0 = 1
is set in the linapple.conf file, so I'm not certain what is going on.

Also a joystick recognized as the second SDL joystick should be recognized as the second Apple][ joystick if

Code:
Joystick 1 = 1
is set in the same file.

Of course, that doesn't mean that's the way it will actually work out :)

I'll try to look at this when I get my Pandora and can actually test the program.

Looking at the code, it looks like any joystick recognized as the first SDL joystick really ought to work if

Code:
Joystick 0 = 1
is set in the linapple.conf file, so I'm not certain what is going on.

Also a joystick recognized as the second SDL joystick should be recognized as the second Apple][ joystick if

Code:
Joystick 1 = 1
is set in the same file.

Of course, that doesn't mean that's the way it will actually work out :)

I'll try to look at this when I get my Pandora and can actually test the program.

Yeah that's how I had originally tried it but to no avail. Besides, even if you could get the nub recognized as a joystick, I am not sure where the joystick buttons would come into play. It would be cool to set the nubs into Joystick mode and have the shoulder buttons be the joystick buttons (in addition to ABXY?) when the program launches and then restore them when it exits. I am not sure if that is even possible, but it would be the best solution imo. If I could get the **($#($*## thing to compile, I would start messing with the source code and try.

CFWhitman, Jerry Blade,

thanks guys for your hard work on starting this emu project. i truly appreciate it, it's a great start for apple ][ emulation on Pandora.

thanks again!

With huge thanks to CFWhitman, I have gotten linapple to compile properly in my own environment and now have a pretty sweet cross-compile virtual machine :) Time to start playing with the joystick routines!

I made some real basic updates learning my way around SDL. The new file has been posted to the various repositories. Here are the Changes for OpenPandora linapple version 1.2.0.0:

Updated keys to be consistent with OpenPandora:

• Start = Pause
  • Select = Max Speed
  • B Button = Increase Speed (by 2) Note: Max Speed is 40
  • A Button = Decrease Speed (by 1)
  • Insert = Reset Speed to Default (Set in linapple.conf)

Also updated the Help Screen (F1) to coincide with these changes.

Added Preview Screenshots

Updated Help Screen Icon

Updated Readme

Here is the link: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=linapple

Back