App Updater

norm

aka kapakux89
Website
kapakux89.com
i just had a thought... would it be possable to create a program that installs app and emu's onto your sd for the gp2x this could make things easyer for people new to the scene?

sorry i proberly dont make much sence im just thinking allowed

any thoughts?

EDIT: it could also place roms in the correct loacations and create and edit config files and autoruns for quickstart and stuff like that

someone was working on a package manager, actually. can't find the link now though. it looked cool. it's certainly not a bad idea. but you have to realize, most of the homebrew for gp2x is pretty simple to get going. interpreters can be tougher, and emulators with disk drives, but most things are just unzip, drag, drop. it gets easier as you go along, too.

is part of the open2x projet and is build by Orkie. You can find a first public version here:http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1915

I'm very keen on having an updater. For me, not a package manager in itself. I have almost everything there is on the archive on my SD, and its an ass to update everything once in a while. So an updater to scan my SD for old versions would very handy :)

rokdcasbah said:
someone was working on a package manager, actually. can't find the link now though. it looked cool. it's certainly not a bad idea. but you have to realize, most of the homebrew for gp2x is pretty simple to get going. interpreters can be tougher, and emulators with disk drives, but most things are just unzip, drag, drop. it gets easier as you go along, too.
One of the best reasons for the package manager is that it can really help speed up development & bug testing for devs.

e.g. 50 people download a program & install it with a package manager; if they all have the same problems, then you know that they're definitely bugs.

If the same 50 people download & manually install a program; chances are that a lot of the bug reports will be unique to single people, due to the wrong setup of config files, missing libraries, etc.

EDIT: You can find some test packages here! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do intend to carry on with this at some point, but other projects distracted me :)

Orkie said:
I do intend to carry on with this at some point, but other projects distracted me :)
I know you changed some things for the new version of the package manager, just wondering what's different about it?
Do you still have the problem of programs not working until after a restart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back