Anyone Thinks It Would Be Great To Have This Running On Pandora?

roelandb

Still Fresh
Check this very nice(and beautiful graphics) Open Source game called "Danger from the deep"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU1aM_SmoSM

i hope this can be ported over to pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Online multiplayer naval game anybody ? :D
That would be awesome.

That does look pretty amazing, but I'm sure it will have to be scaled down some graphically to put on the Pandora.

I haven't seen the whole video yet, for some reason youtube has been slow for me when others on the net say they haven't experienced it. At first I thought it was just going to show the sub bob up and down and thought 'wow'.

Also, you need to take in to consideration that the screen on the Pandora is smaller, the game needs to be playable on a smaller space.

wtf kinda crap is that? its like flight simulator but for boats? what do you do just change camera angles around a ship?

DaMummy said:
wtf kinda crap is that? its like flight simulator but for boats? what do you do just change camera angles around a ship?
I think the goal of the project is to have it is a simulator like you said, but it's just not done yet. I think it would be cool to have your crew tell you coordinance on where to fire and such, then surface to see if you it anything. Some people like that kind of stuff.

Remember flying in the game 1942? I couldn't stand it, could never hit anything, but other really liked how it was more realistic.

It is a beautiful game but its not likely to be playable on pandora (ever).

I talked with a couple devs and the problems are:
-too high poly- terrain is more then 14mil polys alone
-lots of shaders
-SDL is used for audio and other functions but not graphics... would need to port to ES

DaMummy said:

You appear to have gotten lost on the way to the PSP forums. Let me google it for you.

http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net

"Danger from the Deep (known as dangerdeep or DftD) is a free (as in free speech), Open Source World War II german submarine simulator."

PoisonedV said:
you appear to have gotten lost on the way to the smug, unfunny dick forums.

Gruso was totally in line, we need a lot less of DaMummy's kind around here. A lack of them is what makes these forums worth visiting.

greendots said:
It is a beautiful game but its not likely to be playable on pandora (ever).

I talked with a couple devs and the problems are:
-too high poly- terrain is more then 14mil polys alone
-lots of shaders
-SDL is used for audio and other functions but not graphics... would need to port to ES
I thought this looked a little too graphically intense for the Pandora, and it will be a lot of work to scale it down to what the Pandora can handle. Ah well, maybe we'll get someone who really like Sub sims and their Pandora and we'll see it happen.

DaMummy said:
Typo on the username, should have been "I'MaDummy"

I didn't even see it go underwater in that video. Forgive me for being thick, but I thought that was the whole point of submarines?

ashdjones said:
I didn't even see it go underwater in that video. Forgive me for being thick, but I thought that was the whole point of submarines?
I just thought when it went into first person and they went in the sub, fired, and then went to look if they it anything they submerged. It looks like to go below deck you first go into first person, or that is what I thought anyway.

second exodous said:
ashdjones said:
I just thought when it went into first person and they went in the sub, fired, and then went to look if they it anything they submerged. Much like real life, you don't have the hatch open when you submerge or the sub will fill full of water and sink. You also wouldn't want to be on the outside of the sub when it submerged as that is, well, just stupid.

Just wondering if it's featured in the game or not. I want dolphins and whales, giant squid and stuff like that or i'll be severely let down.

ashdjones said:
second exodous said:
ashdjones said:
I just thought when it went into first person and they went in the sub, fired, and then went to look if they it anything they submerged. Much like real life, you don't have the hatch open when you submerge or the sub will fill full of water and sink. You also wouldn't want to be on the outside of the sub when it submerged as that is, well, just stupid.

Just wondering if it's featured in the game or not. I want dolphins and whales, giant squid and stuff like that or i'll be severely let down.

and Narwhals. ;)

-God Ginrai

ashdjones said:
second exodous said:
ashdjones said:

Sorry about being so mean ashdjones, I edited what I said but apparently you quoted me before I got to it.

The video was a bit slow-paced, some would say tl;dw.

From the first few seconds that I did watch, I am 100% certain it's some kind of 3D Battleship game, which would be awesome.

Back