Anyone Porting Abuse?

yosh64

Website
yosh64.redirectme.net
hey

I was just wondering if anyone was porting abuse? I think it's opensource and freeware now, so I might have a look. Hmm, I think it would be pretty cool with touch screen :), and I never played it much before either.

cyas

I tried for months to get Abuse working on the GP2X, but it seems to be riddled with memory bugs. I fixed more than a a few problems related to alignment on ARM architectures, a few buffer overflows, and even eventually got the title screen and main menu to appear correctly, but when you go to start a level, it bombs inside the LISP interpreter. I still have a go at debugging it every now and then, but so far it's just hundreds of hours sunk for nothing.

I hate it when that happens. But code is easier for me to just turn away from and buy ann icecream sunday.

Hundreds of hours of frustration is always a good indication.

I remember the original dev said that he would do the port himself for the GP2X but that never happened for some "strange" reason.

hey

Hmm, maybe ya already done this sorta thing, but have ya tried implementing some sorta memory manager and not allow direct access to the memory for testing? as isolate all the bugs?

Anyhows just a quick thought. I had a look at the code last night, but nevermind.

BTW, were you porting from scratch? or the existing abuse sdl port? or another existing port?

edit
I was just thinking, if they are using some sorta code interpreter (I know nothing about LISP), then maybe the problem is with this and not with the actual memory allocations and such. I mean, maybe it screws on some instructions or something, but I dunno.

cyas

I experienced the same frustation, but luckily didn't waste 100 hours of work. Just 2 days or so. Nevermind. From time to time I start thinking about Abuse again, and it would simply rock to have it on the GP2X. Lately I found Hedgehog and thought maybe to rip the original Lisp out from Abuse and replace it with Hedgehog, but that would be weeks of work with no gurantee to come up with something playable.

Interesting quote the Jonathan Clark stated to port it himself. That would indeed be great.
Does anyone has the link ?

regrads
paines

It was the SDL port I was working on, with various patches from the Debian team (as usual).

And, I did try fooling around with the memory manager a bit, using memwatch and trying valgrind under X86 (which reported nothing strange on that platform). I also tried using GNU malloc's debugging features, as well as turning off the in-game memory management wrappers. When I play around with that, I get crashes at slightly different places.

The real trouble is that the code is more or less completely undocumented. The LISP interpreter is SCARY.

Much progress has been made as of late, I've made a real breakthrough.

Senor Quack said:
Much progress has been made as of late, I've made a real breakthrough.
:) Does this mean that a Gp2X F200 port may be possible before the Pandora is even released? That would be the killer app for the F200.

Thanks for the effort. LISP must be a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never played this game, but reading the wikipedia page it looks interesting. Particularly the control scheme, which would translate nicely to Pandora (I'm thinking d-pad movement with analog nub aiming, yeah?).

Good work making a breakthrough Senor Quack. Look forward to hearing more.

Kyosys said:
That's great to hear! I love abuse!
YOUR MOTHER NEVER LOVED YOU! YOUR PEERS THINK YOU SMELL! YOUR LAST RENT CHEQUE BOUNCED!
*hits Kyosys with a baseball bat*
Is that enough abuse? I can muster up some more, if you really want. ;)

Gruso said:
I've never played this game, but reading the wikipedia page it looks interesting. Particularly the control scheme, which would translate nicely to Pandora (I'm thinking d-pad movement with analog nub aiming, yeah?).

Yeah, it's a sweet game. You should try the PC version or such if you can't wait.

Gruso said:

Good work making a breakthrough Senor Quack. Look forward to hearing more.

Why nub for aiming? The touch screen seems like a much more intuitive method.

Whatever works, just thinking out loud really. It would seem a bit cheeky taking the interface out of the equation though, and just touching everything to death.

Might grab the PC version so I can actually form an opinion on this.

Back