Anyone Know Where To Find Surplus Gp2x F100 ?

ivanixgames

Still Fresh
I have a project that will need a few GP2X F100 units. Anyone know who may have these as suprlus?
Looking for small quantities 10 ~ 100, prefereably unused. Refurb will be considered.

Out of interest, what would the project be? www.gp2xstore.com has F-100's still( ordered one a couple days ago :D ). Not sure if they have the quantity you want though.......

I suppose you could buy a load of F200s and then offer an "upgrade" service for F100 owners.

You get their F100, they get an F200, they pay for shipping. Plus probably ~£30 or something to cover the differences in value between first/second hand units plus any costs for refurbishing (e.g. replacing scratched screen-covers).

I imagine there would be enough F100 owners out there who'd consider that - those who are interested in the new features of the F200, but unwilling to spend another £120 for something they've basically already got!

Anyway, looks like a nice idea to use the gp2x. Just one question: Have you got a working prototype? And why not use the F200 instead of the F100? I would imagine the touchscreen would add nicely to the usability of the interface. Have you got some software done for communications? Cause the touchscreen of the F200 enables people to use an onscreen keyboard and makes surfing and chatting way easier.

EDIT: Initial doubts cleared up. Never mind.

xnopasaranx said:
That's funny. I could swear that the handheld on your linked page that you call the "Panda" looks exactly like our gp2x. Also it seems to feature the same chipset and specs. I hope you are planning on changing that... I heard marketing someone elses design and product in your own casing doesn't make it your own product and is considered copyright infringement.
I remember seeing the Panda a while ago, and I was impressed by the original use the GP2X was put to. But reading the site and the pdf, they don't mention a single word about the GP2X or GPH, that's weak. Well, looks like Panda is about to get a touchscreen and a DPad, in an all-new white case - quick, better make a press release :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Give the company who made that thing some credit. Even though we to some extend despise GPH. They should get the due credit they deserved.

Greetings,

Some the concerns expressed here are quite understandable and while I cannot talk about it much for the moment, I will try to explain a few things and hopefully assuage some of these cocerns.

First, GPH is aware of our company and the Panda product. We visited with them earlier this year and have their full support. We are a startup that is using the GP2X as solution for whole different market. At the moment, we are undergoing a trial pilot in a couple of restaurants to work out the major kinks. Once we ramp up, we will be OEMing the F100 from GPH for use under the Panda label. Basically the product will be co-labeled. The outer casing has a "GP2X Powered" label on the side. The Panda logo (paw print) may or may not reside where the current GP2X logo resides.

As with any small startup that is operating in somewhat of a skunkworks mode, we are trying to be carefull in dissiminating information about our sources, especially to established competitors, and so yes there is no mention of GPH in the documentation. There is also no mention of who manufactured the Bamboo, as it too will be an OEM product. There's another major reason for being cautious about releasing information of our GPH sources. The GP2X was not orginally designed to be a kiosk for commercial use. We and GPH are concerned about any possible negative impact on GPH's existing GP2X brand and market. This is what the trial pilot we are currently conducting should help iron out.

When we do come out of skunkworks mode, we expect to announce a joint venture with GPH and copromote the GP2X product line to hospitality guests. What this means is the owners of exsiting GP2X, both F100, F200 and future, will be able to visit any of our Panda/Bamboo establishments, whether it be a coffee shop, restaurant or sportsbar and particpate in gaming and social activities with their GP2X console.
This is why we have another project that is working on a driver for a specific Wifi SDIO card. Hopefully this will be available sometime early next year.

Someone asked about networking. Yes, we do have that up and running for the F100. We are using the usb cable and are running dhcpd server with a bridge on the Bamboo and dhclient on the Pandas. As an FYI, the Bamboo is also running linux (Fedora distro). Yes, we will be releasing any of the source code for both the Panda and Bamboo when we release the products.

I hope this helps shed some light on the matter.

Kind Regards.

That sounds exciting :) Sorry to think the worst at first, your explanation makes perfect sense.

Good luck with your project!

Ah okay. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the details. As I said, it looks like a promising project. Are you implying that there will be an SDIO WiFi adapter out early next year that we will be able to acquire aswell? That would be awesome!!! Are we going to see the Panda over here in Europe aswell?

I see a dozen kiosks every day with Dell or HP machines inside, and they don't say anything about those companies... Where is the difference here?

"OEMing the F100"? GPH aren't making them anymore are they? A product like Panda would benefit much more from the F200 touchscreen I would have thought. Looks interesting though :)

Wow... we'll I'll be damned now it all makes sense.

I hope to see this thing in restaurants in the US. if it had a touchpad it be a breeze to order food and pay for it as well.

Ivanix Research

pandabar1.jpg

thanks for the link but tbh wouldn't the f 200 be best suited for what its going to be used for its got a better screen and its touch screen

wtf, that panda gp2x container is nice! i guess they must have incorporated 3.3V power for it as well. and the networking sounds sweet :)

(prolly damn expensive, tho ;))

FYI,

Yes we do plan to use a version F200 at some time in the future as well. However, for the moment, it adds extra complexity and dependencies. The F200 won't be usable until we have a working WIFI sdio card in place. Also, programming for touch screen imposes additional resources and testing requirements.
For the first phase, we are focusing on getting the core system up and running.

We may also consider making available a Panda kit to allow other entreprenaurs to start up their own side business catering to their local B&R establishments. This depends on the outcome of our pilot and interest shown by others, and if the logistics are feasible.

ok that explains why you are using the f100 instead anyway good luck with it, it does luck like it could be usefull in shops and such :)

ivanixgames said:
FYI,

Yes we do plan to use a version F200 at some time in the future as well. However, for the moment, it adds extra complexity and dependencies. The F200 won't be usable until we have a working WIFI sdio card in place. Also, programming for touch screen imposes additional resources and testing requirements.
For the first phase, we are focusing on getting the core system up and running.

We may also consider making available a Panda kit to allow other entreprenaurs to start up their own side business catering to their local B&R establishments. This depends on the outcome of our pilot and interest shown by others, and if the logistics are feasible.
My 2c worth:

The F-100 controller isn't suitable for public/customer use. It isn't strong enough nor is it easy enough to use. Remember dealing with the public means dealing with the lowest common denominator. :-/

The F-200 with it's touch-screen seems like the ideal solution for this kind of application. People can just use their fingers to select items on the screen! Surely this is the perfect input device!
In fact no other buttons should be exposed at all, just the screen. The enclosure should possible discard the GP2X fascia completely and just leave the touch-screen exposed.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back