Anyone Info On The New Gp2x Tft Screen

TomVS

Website
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with the new version of the gp2x. I read that it comes fitted with a new type of tft screen. Now THE BiG QUESTION ... Is The Scanline Problem solved ???

A scanline-free screen would improve the movie playing capabilities enourmously. I know about the lcd-tweaker and the LCD options in the latest firmware but these software solutions make life easier but not SCANLINE free.

Interesting fact is that I examined a lot of portable DVD players last week. Some of them suffer from exactly the same problem and have in fact the same poor screen problem. Watching anything on them for longer than 5 minutes make you feel uncomfortable....

Do you mean the interlace effect when certain parts of the display seem to flicker? If so, then yes, this is fixed. However, Craigix says it seems more pixelly by doing so, and he actually prefers the scanlines.

Well that is the price of being an early adopter. I use the gp2x very often to watch movies when everybody else is sleeping...

Nice to hear the interlace problem is solved. A shame that gph could not fix it for all of us who pre-ordered the device to make gph capable of producing more...

A method of replacing the old LCD screens with the new type in a sort of DIY would also be welcome. buying a new one just for the screen is a waste of money at the moment so. We will see....

TomVS posted on May 3 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
Well that is the price of being an early adopter. I use the gp2x very often to watch movies when everybody else is sleeping...

Nice to hear the interlace problem is solved. A shame that gph could not fix it for all of us who pre-ordered the device to make gph capable of producing more...

A method of replacing the old LCD screens with the new type in a sort of DIY would also be welcome. buying a new one just for the screen is a waste of money at the moment so. We will see....

how do you know if you got the newer gp2x because i got minrelast week and they fitted the new caps for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
would it be possible to buy our own high quality screen (not saying the current one is...but there must be better, right?) and insert it ourselves? as mentioned in another thread somewhere..

Loubear posted on May 4 2006 at 01:46 AM said:
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Because I never had a blu...

A bad thing if it is exactly the same. The BLU was very dim and had washed out and faded color compared to the GP2X. There would be no scanlines though. I would prefer the scanlines and better color and contrast.

I don't know if this revision is good news or bad news. I have been holding out for the revision, but all this screen talk is scaring me. The screen is the most important feature on a handheld. Take the new DS lite for example. I have a perfectly good DS, but I am getting a lite ASAP just because the screen is so much better. I actually only bought a PSP due to its crisp wide screen. Now... Is the new screen better or worse? Can we have a side by side comparison. Or a list of pros and cons for each screen? SHould I wait for the 15th or just order an old model. What to do.

tgg posted on May 3 2006 at 11:03 PM said:
TomVS posted on May 3 2006 at 01:39 PM said:

how do you know if you got the newer gp2x because i got minrelast week and they fitted the new caps for free.

Above the joystick the mkI says 'first edition'. Also the mkII should come with the new joystick I think.

i dont understand you people talking like interlace was a bug

interlace is a feature !!!

and im glad i got the better screen early adopters came out on top

GP40 posted on May 18 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
Above the joystick the mkI says 'first edition'. Also the mkII should come with the new joystick I think.

The First Edition is NOT the MkI. The MkI doesn't have 'first edition' on it. Though almost identical, there are differences between them. This is getting relayed very badly, so much so that even the wiki has been changed to say that the mkI is the first edition. Check out this old wiki entry from evil dragon to clear up the difference between the mkI and the first edition.

To recap, there have been three versions of the gp2x out:

1. First Edition
2. MkI (minor changes, resitor etc.)
3. MkII (bigger changes, screen, joystick)

Sorry to be so anal... :p

soup_nazi posted on May 18 2006 at 10:20 PM said:
Sorry to be so anal... :p

No, good info mate B)

My FE's screen blinks slowly on a few games but not most :huh:
Would that be the resistor or is it the game (one of the soduku games is an example)?

cheers :)

To be honest I've no idea. I guess you could open your 2X up and have look to see if it is a 654 in there. :)

I've never seen a first edition 'in the flesh' so I'm not really the guy to ask. I'm guessing craigix or evil dragon would be able to answer your question... :huh:

point nr 9 is my favorite on differences

9. The First Edition has "First Edition" printed on it (D'oh! :))

Back