Anyone fancy a new project?

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
I came up with this idea about 5-6 years ago when the idea of the Pandora was just getting started. While most people were thinking about the games that they could play on the Pandora, I was thinking about how I could use the Pandora to improve my PC gaming experience.

I quickly realised that connections will get faster and there will be more ways to connect than ever before. Mobile devices with decent size screens and multiple ways to connect to PC's (e.g tablets and phones) will also become a lot more common.

I thought that it would make sense to try and use these mobile devices as a secondary interactive display whenever possible.

I was going to try writing this myself when I got my own Pandora but unfortunately I'm still waiting and haven't had the motivation to learn much coding yet. It seems that companies like Nintendo and Microsoft are starting to pick up on the usefulness of this type of thing though, so I thought it would be best to post it here and let some one else run with it before they try and patent the crap out of it.

I've tried explaining the idea a couple of times before but people seem to think that I'm just trying to re-write Telepaphy or Dbus for some reason? Hopefully I'll do a better job at explaining it this time.

The project consists of two pieces of software:

• SERVER1 which forwards information and requests from games on the PC to SERVER2 on a mobile device using the fastest type of connection available.
  • SERVER2 will receive the information and decide how best to use it by checking the type of link it is or the file extension.
  • SERVER2 can also send requests to SERVER1, which will in turn forward them to the game.

Information sent by the servers can be of the following type:

1. Internet addresses for on-line manuals, walkthroughs, reviews and other game information.
  2. Kills and deaths for updating hi-score tables etc.
  3. Small PDF and text files for manuals and game information.
  4. Low resolution picture files for displaying non-interactive maps or weapon info.
  5. Live interactive map layouts.
  6. Co-ordinates for use on live interactive map layouts, including positions of your team mates, spotted enemies, supply drops and strike positions.
  7. VOIP/Chat addresses for automatically joining the correct servers/rooms for the game and team that your on.
  8. Any other game specific commands and actions.

SERVER1 should have the ability to recognise which types of files or information would be best sent across which type of connection. Example: Player Co-ordinates will need the highest speed and most constant type of connection.

It would also need the ability to see which connection is being used the most and avoid using it for different tasks whenever possible.

SERVER2 should have the ability to send requests back to SERVER1 and to queue certain jobs instead of automatically executing them. It should also loop back to itself if no connection to SERVER1 is present.

p.s You could actually bypass having a SERVER1 completely by integrating it directly into the game if you want to.

WatchTower.jpeg

IMO, even the ability to send and receive simple web site addresses to the Pandora (or any other type of device) would be useful enough for some one to try writing this. Starting a game on the PC could automatically open a web browser on the Pandora with multiple tabs showing relevant game info.

I hope someone wants to create something like this as I believe it would be of great benefit, not only to gaming on the PC, but it would be another use for the Pandora too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back