Anyone Else Think This Would Be Cool?

junker

like using a small pad with a real analog stick that hooks up to the psp's usb port!
would be great for fighting games, no? and lugging the thing around wouldn't be much of a pain.

DISCUSS

whats the point of a handheld if you have to prop it up on something to use an external controller, seems dumb to me but thats just my opinion.

Edit: Never mind. I thought you were talking about the gp32.

Also, yeah that would be pretty cool, but a stand would kind of be needed. ;)

or you're playing a 2d/3d fighter and need real controls :D
it would be cool, but not very..portable

trooper posted on Apr 13 2005 at 10:32 PM said:
Usb = Powered or unpowered ?, Master or slave ?.

Trooper
gp32 usb controlelr can be host&device mode, its unpowered, you need to build yourself a little power adapter or use a powered usb hub.

to add a new stick to gp you could just conenct a standart analog stick to two free ain ports (there are a few left unconencted at the µc) but of course software would have to be espacialy writen for it. same for buttons, ain would be easyest way, shouldnt be a problem to conenct 30+ buttons to one ain line.

edit, ain=analog input of course

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, what about connecting the gp32 unit to your head so it's right in front of your vision, then have a joypad hanging off it so you don't have to hold your arms up and head down while playing?

:ph34r: :) :p :huh:

why would you want an analog stick for playing fighting games? most people agree analog sticks and fighting games dont mix well....

they work very well for 2d fighters(i mean, verrry). stick beats all, though, and 3d fighters need dpad when played with pad

Eh... never enjoyed playing Street Figther et al. with an analog stick... never felt right to me. A proper arcade joystick or a proper six button pad al la sega saturn are the only ways to play 2d fighters IMO.

Now I have enjoyed playing games like Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur with an analogue stick but mostly because they dont use the typical down-diagonal-forward special move commands of SF, plus those games allow free movement in eight directions so feel more natural with an analog. To me, anyways. Tell you what though playing Darkstalkers on the PSP's digital pad SUCKED and there wasn't even an option to try it with the analog nub....

i know, i used to like playing 2d fighters with a d-pad, but lately it just sucks. your thumbs get thrashed and it's not very fluid. so one day while my thumbs were killing me, i started using the analog stick and got the hang of it. then i got a real arcade stick that i'm only OK on(a lot better, i just suck).
i also suspected playing ds on psp would suck badly, and playing on the little analog nub is out of the question. yeah, it sucks!

Back