Anyone Else Taken Yours Outside?

purplesky said:
Esn said:
Wow, that is lovely. California? It reminds me a bit of Ontario in early spring, or northern Norway in the summer.

Looks like what Northern England looks in Autumn

I thought it was the Lake District.

We need more outside locations! I want famous locations!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely photos, atomicthumbs - I had no idea that was California, at first! Beautiful.

VRAndy said:
Isn't "outside" where lions live?
No, it's where they've hung up that giant lightbulb.

Ratfink said:
Remember: good photographers, not good cameras, take good pictures.

True to a certain degree... my father is a professional photographer, but I do not agree with this statement... only for this reason:

Com64 said:
While that may be true, my camera takes low quality pictures with a 320x240 size and can store only 18 photos at a time. It was cheap, and I got it for christmas or something. even my laptops webcam does better... But I guess thats not too bad. oh, and you have to have a lot of lighting for it to work.

See? Although a good camera does not make a good photographer, a bad camera can severely cripple the skills and artistic abilities of a good photographer.

I feel that such statements as yours (ratfink) hold true in the age of film much better than they do in the age of digital.

Fzero said:
I was suprised to hear that's California too, i did wonder when looking at the pics but was thinking places closer by - and foggiest place in world? My image of Cali was restricted it seems

...I thought it was all bustling city and baywatch style beaches

HAHA you silly outsiders! That's actually the LEAST prominent type of landscape in California :D
...it's mostly woodsy and mountainous, with the majority of the coastline being jagged, rocky cliffs.

Now if only MJLink would come post some pics of what California looks like where HE lives... it's VERY beautiful up there in the redwoods along the northern coast.

Taken outside repeatedly. And equally repeatedly, been surprised at how good the screen looks even in direct sunlight :). Not perfect, but it's better than most things I've used on sunny days!

mitosis said:
Ratfink said:
Remember: good photographers, not good cameras, take good pictures.

True to a certain degree... my father is a professional photographer, but I do not agree with this statement... only for this reason:

Com64 said:
While that may be true, my camera takes low quality pictures with a 320x240 size and can store only 18 photos at a time. It was cheap, and I got it for christmas or something. even my laptops webcam does better... But I guess thats not too bad. oh, and you have to have a lot of lighting for it to work.

See? Although a good camera does not make a good photographer, a bad camera can severely cripple the skills and artistic abilities of a good photographer.

I feel that such statements as yours (ratfink) hold true in the age of film much better than they do in the age of digital.
Yes, I was under the assumption that most people have halfway decent digital cameras if they have a digital camera at all. I do realize that if the camera is really terrible, even the best photographer in the world couldn't take a good picture with it. But if you are a bad photographer with a great camera, you won't get good pictures, and if you're a great photographer with a mediocre camera you might get great pictures.

WizardStan said:
Prometheus said:
No, it's where they've hung up that giant lightbulb.
You mean the day star?
I think it's called "Soen" or something like that.

Ratfink said:
But if you are a bad photographer with a great camera, you won't get good pictures
I challenge this as well. Take a really good camera, walk around, take a hundred pictures or so of anything and everything without thought to what you're actually snapping pictures of. I would be very surprised if there wasn't at least one picture that could be considered good, a picture that you would not have been able to get with a more mediocre camera. A really bad photographer (unless they're stupid bad, like taking pictures with the lens cap on, or holding the camera backwards and looking into the lens, or pointing it at a person's feet when they want a picture of their head. Let's assume a reasonable level of confidence) will still get the occasional good picture with a great camera, but won't get as many with a mediocre camera.
I've made this observation: a good photographer can get great pictures with a great camera, but it takes a great photographer to get great pictures with just a good camera.

edit: which you said as well in slightly different words. Didn't quite click until after I'd hit post :p

My camera is digital...

I usually just borrow my mom's camera I think its something like 6 megapixel. Its one of those pocket cameras. stores hotos on an SD card, and has its own rechargeable lithium ion battery. We also have this other camera... but it takes AA batteries and drains them like its Kool-aid in the 80s.

mitosis said:
Now if only MJLink would come post some pics of what California looks like where HE lives... it's VERY beautiful up there in the redwoods along the northern coast.
Hey, I have redwoods too! :p

atomicthumbs said:
Rygiz said:
I expect much hammock time for the Pandora and I.
I have a little portable nylon hammock. It fits in a pouch. It's very comfortable to use the Pandora in.

I require information on procuring this. Pronto!

Rygiz said:
I require information on procuring this. Pronto!

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

you need straps to attach it to trees and stuff. people on hammock forums say their straps stretch too much and to get them from Strapworks, but I haven't had any problems.

That's awesome!

I put forward a motion to have Pandora branded portable hammocks. Because, clearly, they don't have enough to worry about now.

stop.

4818195564_555592898c_b.jpg

atomicthumbs said:
liquidphantom said:
Ah the good old nifty fifty, fantastic lens. I have the MKI much better build but the same optics, hunted high and low for a MKI and got it for a bargain price

I'm saving for a 24-105mm f/4 L  ^_^

Got :) actually for an L lens it's not that spectacular and can be quite soft, 24-70mm L is much much better

Back