Anyone Else Lost Interest?

-Matt-94

Still Fresh
Hey guys,

I hate to say it, but after months of delays, slow goings, and let downs, I find myself not caring about this device. Sure IF it ever gets made, I would get one, but I hardly visit the website anymore. The devs are horrible at keeping us interested and up to date. They could at least get some more pictures out, goddamn. I know they can't devote their full time to the project, but I can't see them finishing this anytime soon. They were slating it for sometime this summer right? I doubt that will happen. At least they can be more realistic, and factor in some possible delays, instead of hoping for the best case scenario constantly. Well, that is the end of my rant, all I can say is I am dissapointed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?qsrc=&q=lose
http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?qsrc=&q=loose

-Matt-94 said:
Hey guys,

I hate to say it, but after months of delays, slow goings, and let downs, I find myself not caring about this device. Sure IF it ever gets made, I would get one, but I hardly visit the website anymore. The devs are horrible at keeping us interested and up to date. They could at least get some more pictures out, goddamn. I know they can't devote their full time to the project, but I can't see them finishing this anytime soon. They were slating it for sometime this summer right? I doubt that will happen. At least they can be more realistic, and factor in some possible delays, instead of hoping for the best case scenario constantly. Well, that is the end of my rant, all I can say is I am dissapointed.
Your right about the Pandora taking to long to be released and giving unrealistic estimates but the effects of waiting are the opposite for me. The more I wait, the more desperate I get just for little updates so I end up reading threads and comments that I usually wouldn't be interested in. I can't just walk away from this project because it would feel like all my waiting would be in vein and even if I do get a refund I'll probaly end up regretting it when the Pandora is actually released. But your right again about them not giving us enough pictures and videos to keep us occupied while we wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest fear with the Pandora is that when it does finally get released, that another similar more mainstream device will appear on the market for less cash :(

WarmFluffyUK said:
My biggest fear with the Pandora is that when it does finally get released, that another similar more mainstream device will appear on the market for less cash :(

1) It will NEVER be released
2) There are already more powerful handhelds available now - they took too long trying to get the Pandora to market

piercer said:
2) There are already more powerful handhelds available now - they took too long trying to get the Pandora to market

Please poinr me to a handheld device which is as powerful as the Pandoram has decent gaming controls built in, keyboard, SD slots, USB, and is in a clamshell form. If it exists I will cancel my preorder straight away and get one. I feel no loyalty to the team as such, I just can't find a device which has all the same features.

So I unfortunately have no option but to wait :(

Shaun. said:
Your right about the Pandora taking to long to be released and giving unrealistic estimates but the effects of waiting are the opposite for me.

Or even "you're right about the Pandora taking too long..." etc.

Personally the length of timine OpenPandora is taking is having precious little effect on my desire for the product - as it has no effect on what the product is supposed to be able to DO, and that's the main thing that governs interest for me. How happy I am about the interminable delays at any given time depends more on how much time I spend in the community - the more I read whinging the less happy I feel :(

piercer said:
1) It will NEVER be released

LOL - such as, for example?

The new iphone i believe has about the same hardware.

Please don't go nuts about game controls and whatnot. I just answered question 2. It is a fact it will not be the most powerful handheld device when it gets released.

sure it takes too long, but the biggest problem is when devs assure you (twice) that we will see first version in july when we're already half in june and when they already told us that mould will take 45days to be made... this is not overconfidence, that is plain lies... that really piss me off...

that said, there is not a device like the pandora... we start to see some equivalent product as of power, but not for the same price and not with gaming control...

u9i said:
The new iphone i believe has about the same hardware.

Please don't go nuts about game controls and whatnot. I just answered question 2. It is a fact it will not be the most powerful handheld device when it gets released.
It may not be the most powerful handheld but it is the best for value. Apple products are ridiculously overpriced. I really don't understand why the Open Pandora team is able to sell us a Pandora for such a great price even though they are a very small group and Apple is one of the largest business' in the world and are selling their products for double the price of its competitors. BTW if the oqo2 counts as a handheld then I think it would be the most powerful.(As you can see I really hate Apple lol)

The problem is that I placed my preorder for the Pandora with two very specific uses in mind, both well within the initial ship date estimates. Both of those occasions have come and gone, but still no Pandora.

I'm not really sure how my interest could be loose or tight. So I don't suppose my interest is loose. But I guess your interest is so strong it defies the laws of grammar. So you're still really interested? Good for you.

The UMID mbook M1 is the closest you will get to the pandora form wise. Major disadvantages are the lack of dedicated gaming controls, lack of standard usb and audio jacks, perhaps less battery life and the fact it was sold exclusivity to South Korea.

But honestly, I think the x86 factor adds an insane plus to all of those problems, and since battery life is not excessively low (the reviewer claims 5 hours with wifi) the "DO WANT" factor is pretty damn high.

My deal breaker was the 600$ of price tag that sadly is too much for me and felt a bit overpriced.

Ok, maybe it is not an Omap or something more similar to the Pandora specs wise, but again, size wise, they're almost the same.
I'm surprised how Craig hasn't picked this one up to sell on his little shop, well, maybe no that surprised with such price tag but it could be something interesting.

So sadly, time to keep waiting for the pandora.

Hey guys, its summer - go out, have lots of long cold drinks, get a sun tan and your Pandora will be ready for you in those cold dark and boring winter months.

If you look at the website for updates 4 times a day every day then it will seem to be taking even longer to come than it actually is. Ever heard of the phrase "A watched kettle never boils"?

-Matt-94 said:
Hey guys,

You should get an iPhone, You don't deserve a Pandora.

I agree, try and forget about it for a while.....I've been addicted to these forums for months. I've just however cancelled by order to buy a decent SLR camera to take pictures of our new baby.

I told Jacquie that I'd reorder either from leftover units or from the second batch. I'm just hoping we get it by christmas now. It's going to be an amazing product and a little xmas present to myself, as it was meant to be LAST year!

I do agree though that it was unwise for the devs to tell us some might be shipping in July, although that was at least the sixth unrealistic target they've given us. I feel a bit sorry for them as we've created a monster really. We want news and we want it even if there is no news. That's why I decided to opt out for the time being, having a baby is a great way to distract yourself though, maybe that's the answer?!!!

I'll still keep following the project but I already feel more relaxed now that I've cancelled my order and resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting one until crimbo (fingers crossed).

Keep smiling people, there's worse things going on out there. It will be worth the wait I'm sure.

Nick

PS Are we really having a go at the guy who started this thread at his spelling? Come on now!

NickLoTurco said:
I agree, try and forget about it for a while.....I've been addicted to these forums for months. I've just however cancelled by order to buy a decent SLR camera to take pictures of our new baby.

I told Jacquie that I'd reorder either from leftover units or from the second batch. I'm just hoping we get it by christmas now. It's going to be an amazing product and a little xmas present to myself, as it was meant to be LAST year!

I do agree though that it was unwise for the devs to tell us some might be shipping in July, although that was at least the sixth unrealistic target they've given us. I feel a bit sorry for them as we've created a monster really. We want news and we want it even if there is no news. That's why I decided to opt out for the time being, having a baby is a great way to distract yourself though, maybe that's the answer?!!!

I'll still keep following the project but I already feel more relaxed now that I've cancelled my order and resigned myself to the fact that I won't be getting one until crimbo (fingers crossed).

Keep smiling people, there's worse things going on out there. It will be worth the wait I'm sure.

Nick

PS Are we really having a go at the guy who started this thread at his spelling? Come on now!

It will be an amazing device, I'll be waiting... ;)

Back