Anyone Else Have A Slightly Defective Button(S)?

blueshift

Has anyone else noticed a face button (A, B, X, Y) on their system being considerably harder to press down than the other buttons on their Wiz? For me it's the X button. It's not to the point where it's unusable. But if I were playing a game that required extensive use of that button and in rapid succession I would probably die a lot.

I had my parents press down that button and than had them press down the others buttons, which by comparison press down very smoothly. They really didn't notice anything and said that I was obsessing over a very minor flaw. I don't think they could even tell a difference at all. They're not gamers unless you count tetris and solitare. So they really have no idea to what extent that defects in a control scheme can impact gaming performance.

I guess if I were playing a game where that button was used a lot I could just either not assign that button or assign it to something that's not used frequently. Keeping in mind what I said above, it probably won't effect gameplay to a large extent. But it's really disappointing when you spend a lot of money on something and something on it doesn't work the way it's supposed to right out of the box . Had I bought this at a local store I would take it back and try to exchange it. But this was ordered from Hong Kong and I'd have to pay shipping and handling to return it because that was part of the deal. Not to mention the time I'd be without a handheld. They might also try to lawyer their way out of replacing mine by saying that there was no problem. In which case they'd just send it back as-is and there would be nothing I could do because it seems kind of silly to threaten international legal action over less than $200.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I checked USPS's website and I can ship it back priority class for $13. But on the guy's Ebay page it says "we will provide you with detailed instruction for returning". So if I tell him I want to ship it back he might request that I use DHL/UPS/FexEx, which is probably going to cost more than USPS.

Even though I don't want to be without a handheld for probably two weeks, in the long run two weeks of not having one is better than having one with a button that's slightly defective for the duration of it's lifespan. Which will probably be awhile because it does everything I want it to do and the control scheme isn't that bad.

blueshift said:
I checked USPS's website and I can ship it back priority class for $13. But on the guy's Ebay page it says "we will provide you with detailed instruction for returning". So if I tell him I want to ship it back he might request that I use DHL/UPS/FexEx, which is probably going to cost more than USPS.
As far as I can tell I neither DHL, UPS, or FedEx will ship from my location to the part of China where it says on the guy's warranty section on his Ebay page says that it ships to. So if I decide to return it it'll most likely be through USPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi blueshift,

I too had a defective button but for me it was the B button. It was really squishy and didn't "click" nor register that well. I also hemmed and hawed about whether I should return it and finally decided my criteria would be whether I could play Joust in MAME well. I couldn't play it as well as with the other buttons, so I returned it.

My wife told me I was obsessing again but in the end it's about your enjoyment.

Choose one of your favorite games that requires rapid button pressing and play it if you can't then return it.

Of course I was anxious to get it back but in the long run I was glad.

The funny thing is the new one has a slightly weird feel to the B button also (though not "squishy), however my criteria of being able to play rapidfire games just as well as with other buttons is met. I chalked the weird "B" button up to that it is set slightly lower on the beveled edge of the Wiz just like the left side of the d-pad is lower.

If it effects your games then return it. You were one of the "lucky" ones like me and by lucky I mean unlucky. Seems I always get the product with the defect or missing part.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Crookedmouth said:
My wife told me I was obsessing again but in the end it's about your enjoyment.
I asked a couple of friends at school and they noticed the button sticking as well, so it's not just me being obsessive.
Crookedmouth said:
Choose one of your favorite games that requires rapid button pressing and play it if you can't then return it.
The games that use the X button are pretty annoying. I was just playing Metal Slug Advance (which doesn't even require uber-fast firing) and I was getting kind of annoyed.
glossywhite said:
The D-pad on my Wiz squeaks sometimes... work that out!. :confused:
Like a mouse?

I know that a lot of electronic devices these days have seals on the inside so the company can tell if you tried to open yours up and thus voided the warranty if you tried to return it. Does the Wiz have any such feature?

blueshift said:
I know that a lot of electronic devices these days have seals on the inside so the company can tell if you tried to open yours up and thus voided the warranty if you tried to return it. Does the Wiz have any such feature?

Nope - opened mine right up, piece of cake!. Not as badly built as I had thought it would be - well made PCB :).

glossywhite said:
blueshift said:
Nope - opened mine right up, piece of cake!. Not as badly built as I had thought it would be - well made PCB :) .
I tried opening mine up but didnt' get any farther than removing the battery. The screws are just so small that I don't have anything small enough to get them. Even if I had a screw driver small enough to get those screws out I'd be kind of afraid to open it up that something wouldn't go back together. When I opened up my PS3 controller it took me about 45 minutes to get it back together and that was a combination of luck and skill.

Actually, mine was squeaking the day I got it. Put a quick spray of WD40, and voila. Working perfectly. WD40 does not conduct electricity, acts as a lubricant (to get rid of the squeaking) and lifts water off electronics, which I assume isn't a big deal, but it's totally safe.

redquake said:
Actually, mine was squeaking the day I got it. Put a quick spray of WD40, and voila. Working perfectly. WD40 does not conduct electricity, acts as a lubricant (to get rid of the squeaking) and lifts water off electronics, which I assume isn't a big deal, but it's totally safe.

WD40?!. You realise that oil dissolves plastic, right?.

[EDIT] - my mistake; Google says it is plastic safe. Apologies.

Yeah trust me, I looked it up well in advance before I sprayed anything into my WiZ.

redquake said:
Yeah trust me, I looked it up well in advance before I sprayed anything into my WiZ.

:lol: Yeah, I should have realised!. LOL!

Crookedmouth said:
I too had a defective button but for me it was the B button. It was really squishy and didn't "click" nor register that well. I also hemmed and hawed about whether I should return it and finally decided my criteria would be whether I could play Joust in MAME well. I couldn't play it as well as with the other buttons, so I returned it.
As long as I don't press down on the X button at the edge I'm good. It's just that pressing it down from the side comes naturally wheras I have to kind of think about it for a split second to press down in the center. My parents say that they're probably going to tell me that as long as the button presses down it's not a defect and therefore won't do anything. But like I said, they don't know anything about gaming and how the control scheme can affect gameplay.

I'm just really paranoid that even if I do return it what if the one they replace it with is also slightly defective, and I'll have to pay to have it shipped back yet again. Maybe I should start a poll and ask people if their Wiz came with any defects.

You said that your "squishy" button was enough that they refunded the product. Who did you buy your Wiz off of?

blueshift said:
You said that your "squishy" button was enough that they refunded the product. Who did you buy your Wiz off of?

I hate to be pedantic, and please don't think I am being a know-it-all, but it really bugs me when people use phrases such as "off of" - it is so much simpler (and grammatically correct) to say "Who did you buy your Wiz from". "Off of" is such terrible grammar, and when you think about it a bit, it really sounds silly, and makes no sense to say it that way.

I'm just a fussy speller, in the same way that when someone says "can you do" (something) well yes, of course you *can* do it, but what they should say is "will you do" (something).

This is in no way a malicious or snyde comment, it's just that the grammar of your reply really bugged me.

glossywhite said:
blueshift said:

I hate to be pedantic, and please don't think I am being a know-it-all, but it really bugs me when people use phrases such as "off of" - it is so much simpler (and grammatically correct) to say "Who did you buy your Wiz from". "Off of" is such terrible grammar, and when you think about it a bit, it really sounds silly, and makes no sense to say it that way.

I'm just a fussy speller, in the same way that when someone says "can you do" (something) well yes, of course you *can* do it, but what they should say is "will you do" (something).

This is in no way a malicious or snyde comment, it's just that the grammar of your reply really bugged me.

There's nothing wrong with that grammar: it's perfectly acceptable in conversation, at least here in America. There are so many other posts on this board to nitpick: awful spelling, failure to use the shift key, and use of idiotic txt-speak.. and you pick this one perfectly fine post to single out? Ridiculous!

Now, as for the "Can I" versus "May I" debate it is also ridiculous. People have been using them interchangeably in conversation since at least the early 1800s. Don't believe me? Try reading some dialog from Pride and Prejudice. Third-grade teachers love to single this out but it is silly because no matter how pedantically they preach on it doesn't make their view of grammar the correct one when nearly everyone speaking English in the real world uses it both ways!

I could go on and on. "Due to" instead of "because of" is another one that people say is incorrect but is so so widely used that it is actually fine and everyone understands what it means. A true grammatical mistake would be misuse of "there" in place of "they're" or "their". Mistakes like that do seriously worsen the comprehensibility of your sentences' meanings. Another example is this: Some Europeans might cringe at my above use of the term "1800s" instead of "nineteenth century". To them it is silly but here in America the two forms are perfectly synonymous and college professors use both in equal proportion.

My whole reply is, however, probably for naught because you are almost assuredly trolling or just causing drama for no reason, who knows. Two things are certain: Your post history is shit and so is your personality.

Senor Quack said:
glossywhite said:
blueshift said:

There's nothing wrong with that grammar: it's perfectly acceptable in conversation, at least here in America. There are so many other posts on this board to nitpick: awful spelling, failure to use the shift key, and use of idiotic txt-speak.. and you pick this one perfectly fine post to single out? Ridiculous!

Now, as for the "Can I" versus "May I" debate it is also ridiculous. People have been using them interchangeably in conversation since at least the early 1800s. Don't believe me? Try reading some dialog from Pride and Prejudice. Third-grade teachers love to single this out but it is silly because no matter how pedantically they preach on it doesn't make their view of grammar the correct one when nearly everyone speaking English in the real world uses it both ways!

I could go on and on. "Due to" instead of "because of" is another one that people say is incorrect but is so so widely used that it is actually fine and everyone understands what it means. A true grammatical mistake would be misuse of "there" in place of "they're" or "their". Mistakes like that do seriously worsen the comprehensibility of your sentences' meanings. Another example is this: Some Europeans might cringe at my above use of the term "1800s" instead of "nineteenth century". To them it is silly but here in America the two forms are perfectly synonymous and college professors use both in equal proportion.

My whole reply is, however, probably for naught because you are almost assuredly trolling or just causing drama for no reason, who knows. Two things are certain: Your post history is shit and so is your personality.

You know, I actually credited you with having a decent personality, and felt like I had been a bit mean about my previous post... but then this illusion of your being a person capable of taking criticism and holding an intelligent conversation, came crumbling down due to your final, ignorant paragraph. That was a perfectly logical and sensible reply, and you made a few very valid points, but then you let yourself down, by being totally unable to resist the temptation of hurling abuse at me, by presuming you have even the slightest knowledge of my personality (which is actually impossible - this could all be an act, as far as you know).

I was making a simple observation about that grammar, (which, by the way, still remains blatently incorrect, regardless of your defence) - you really needn't have taken it *quite* so badly - I wasn't trying to offend you dude, I was just making a point about grammar. If someone coded some software badly, you'd want to fix it, right?. I don't see how this is any different - I found a "bug" in your verbal code, so try not to get too upset about it; the criticism was not meant in a derogatory way, I promise you.

I won't go into the whole American vs British spelling debate; that is a tedious and well worn difference of opinion, which has far too many variables to be definitively "right" or "wrong", and is completely unproductive and utterly pointless, in my opinion. Americans have their own slant on the British language, not that I necessarily agree with the so-called "abuse" of our language - I cringe at a LOT of it I must admit (like "often times"... but I suppose it makes sense, and it is just a fork off from the Queen's English, & an evolutionary trait) but I would be a little arrogant if I thought that my opinion would change the way people speak; it's up to the individual, after all - noone is "in charge" of language, it simply evolves!.

I hope you can now take my criticism as a direct observation of your use of grammar alone, and not at all a slur on you as a person, ok?. :)

Regards, from your best friend of 20 years :lol: who, you know so well, with the sh_t personality (apparently).

So I decided not to return my Wiz, the sticky button is kind of annoying. But it's not too annoying to just not press down on the edge of the button. Plus I didn't want to have to wait who knows how long for a new one to be shipped out to me and to pay for shipping.

Back