Non-Responsive R-Button

fett42

The R-button on my replacement Wiz barely works. I have to press it at least twice as hard for it to respond. It also is very sketchy when holding it down for a period of time, which some games require. Does anyone have any advice on a permanent fix for this? I made a quick fix for it, which is doing the trick. I put tape over the R-button to keep it held down. All I have to do is press it normally and it works like it should. However, tape over a button isn't a permanent fix in my opinion.

You would have to disassemble the Wiz to see what's wrong with your button. But it may be some kind of sticky residue (i.e used the wiz after eating sweets). Or the button itself may be bent/relocated.

Mr.TwisT said:
You would have to disassemble the Wiz to see what's wrong with your button. But it may be some kind of sticky residue (i.e used the wiz after eating sweets). Or the button itself may be bent/relocated.

Well it was like this from the beginning. I took it apart and it seems like the button itself is fine. It can be pressed down seemingly as much as the L-button. To the naked eye it looks like it might be slightly bent in comparison to the L-button though. Is there a way to safely bend it so it won't break off? I tried that with slight pressure, but it didn't want to budge and I was afraid to bend it too hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The right button actually broke off the circuit boards on one of ours. It's really not held by much (just four solder pads). I opened up the Wiz and resoldered it. I also soldered a small wire across the top of the switch and to the metal support pads on each side. While it was open I reinforced the left switch as well.

My guess is you have one side with a bad solder connection or it's actually cracked off it's pad. Use silver solder if you can as it is much stronger. I can't count the number of times I've re-soldered things on my kids glasses.

C'mon ... if a soccer mom can do this mod/repair anyone can !

fett42 said:
The R-button on my replacement Wiz barely works. I have to press it at least twice as hard for it to respond. It also is very sketchy when holding it down for a period of time, which some games require. Does anyone have any advice on a permanent fix for this? I made a quick fix for it, which is doing the trick. I put tape over the R-button to keep it held down. All I have to do is press it normally and it works like it should. However, tape over a button isn't a permanent fix in my opinion.

mystique said:
The right button actually broke off the circuit boards on one of ours. It's really not held by much (just four solder pads). I opened up the Wiz and resoldered it. I also soldered a small wire across the top of the switch and to the metal support pads on each side. While it was open I reinforced the left switch as well.

My guess is you have one side with a bad solder connection or it's actually cracked off it's pad. Use silver solder if you can as it is much stronger. I can't count the number of times I've re-soldered things on my kids glasses.

C'mon ... if a soccer mom can do this mod/repair anyone can !

Now that is a good idea. To be honest I've never really done any soldering. I thought about buying a soldering iron when I was at Hobby Lobby a few months ago. Perhaps I'll pick one up and practice a little before trying it out on the Wiz. Thank you for the suggestion. I never even thought about that being the problem.

Back