Broken Shoulder Button

lukeskope

Still Fresh
This is kind of a last ditch effort. I dropped my Wiz and the right shoulder button stopped working. I opened up the Wiz and noticed that the piece that depresses to register a right shoulder click has become detached from the mother board. I have contacted Game Park in Europe and they aren't really interested in helping me since my Wiz is out of warranty.

It isn't the worst thing in the world since most of the games I play don't utilize this button much, however I would like to get it fixed for when it is time to sell the Wiz. Has anyone had their Wiz serviced by a non-authorized repair shop? How much did it cost?

Also, the Wiz is too small for my hands, I get cramps after playing for a while. Does anyone have a PSP running retro games? How does it compare to the Wiz in terms of emulation, screen size and form factor?

Thanks.

well, everyone else dealing with the after sales center, was rather happy. they'll repair you wiz, but you need to cover the costs ofc.

don't know whom you contacted, but i assume it was this? http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49588-as-center-opened/

i got my wiz repaired by a friend of mine, my problem was, that one volume button broke off. he told me that it wasn't that difficult to solder, so, i think you might just need one with good soldering experience and a big magnifier :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, they will repair it, and they were courteous and fast getting back to me. I just am not sure it is worth it to ship overseas and pay whatever they charge for the repair if it is a trivial or fairly easy solder job. Thanks for the reply.

edit: nevermind about the offer to repair, I overlooked the part where you just wanted to sell it

No, I don't want to sell it right now. I love my Wiz, I've put a lot of time into getting the right roms and emulation settings for my favorite games. But it really is too small for my hands and I will sell it eventually. Plus, certain emulators like FBA don't exit properly without the shoulder button so that is pretty annoying. If we can work something out cool, if not no biggie.

lukeskope said:
No, I don't want to sell it right now. I love my Wiz, I've put a lot of time into getting the right roms and emulation settings for my favorite games. But it really is too small for my hands and I will sell it eventually. Plus, certain emulators like FBA don't exit properly without the shoulder button so that is pretty annoying. If we can work something out cool, if not no biggie.

Yeah I imagine it's pretty annoying.. my hands get cramps as well. I was tentatively offering to *try* to fix it but I've never taken my Wiz apart before and I would be scared to death of damaging the OLED or somehow inducing pixel plague into an already damaged unit. I have a soldering gun that is up to the task but I might not be ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i've opened my wiz more than once, just to fix my volume button. thats some months ago now, and no pixel plague is showing up. i hope it will stay so :)

anyway, for the money you'd probably pay to get it repaired by the after sales center, you could just buy a new one on thinkgeek. i think 99$ is pretty cheap

Back