[SOLVED] Slightly Wonky Y Button

AdamLusted

Still Fresh
Hello!

First of all I'd like to say many, many thanks to the OP team for their incredible work and persistence in bringing out the Pandora! It was well worth the wait, I've been waiting for this device for probably the best part of a decade, going through various PDAs and handhelds like the Zodiac and gp2x, but none of them ever got it quite right.

Anyway, I've got a (pretty minor) issue with my Y button, and wondered if there was anything I could do about it. Hmm, how do I describe this, it's like the bottom left corner of the button isn't being supported underneath to the same height as the rest of the button, so it kind of "slopes" downwards towards that corner. It doesn't affect the functionality at all, the button works fine, and it's still perfectly fine for games, but when I rest my thumbs across those four buttons I can feel that the Y is ever so slightly lower than the rest, and wonky, and there's not as much travel as the others buttons.

So it's absolutely by no means a show-stopper, I was just wondering if it's something that's fixable? I'm reluctant to send it back at the moment because I'm having too much fun and couldn't survive without it on my commute to work :) If it's an easy thing to get at the keymat I'm willing to open it up and have a go myself.

Many thanks!
Adam

Hmm..
Those buttons are "encoded" to only fit in a certain way into the holes so that the can't turn around. There is a small pin on every button and notch in the case where this pin fits in. You could try lifting the button up with your finger nails. If it isn't possible to lift it up, I suspect it's caused by the pin not fitting the notch. The pin might be too large or the notch too small, maybe caused by left over burr. Also check if the y is perfectly aligned with the other buttons.

edit:
Here is a pic of the buttons
http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=DSC01605.jpg

You can see that the cast-on section(or sprue? it's "Anguß" in German) is in the lower left corner of the button.

I guess my A button falls into this category of "Wonky"

Not a show stopper, but can feel the difference with the other 3 buttons. It doesn't rest in the same position, not sure if this is the paint or what.

Discovered this while playing Pandora Panic where the A button is used a bunch.

I'm posting this here because I tried in another similar thread but haven't heard anything one way or the other.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Well I've fiddled around with it a bit as Mali suggested, and I think I've fixed it. Not quite sure how it was fixed (it wasn't like I suddenly felt it click into place or anything), but just lifted it slightly with fingernails and kind of swizzled it around a little bit. I did this a few times, as I say there was no "aha!" moment, but then I just noticed that it was no longer lopsided in the bottom left. It's the same as the other 3 buttons now, so problem sorted!

Cheers,
Adam

Back