Anybody Played Gish?, Ask For A Port!

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Website
Visit site
I really enjoyed Gish.

http://www.chroniclogic.com/index.htm?gish.htm

anybody play it?

I would have bought it, but it is too hard to show it to people when you don't have a laptop with a 3d card.

I am emailing them and asking if they could make a port.

If you haven't tried it get the demo from their site.

I wouldn't mind if the graphics were toned down, as long as the physics were done well.

what do you guys think?

Oh, yeah! I love Gish! :D Physics games are fun! And I would be very interested in seeing a GP2X port... There would need to be some tradeoffs at some point, most likely, as Gish was built on the Torque 3D engine, though it seems to keep its power requirements fairly minimal. The main problem would most likely be the very fact that it's based on Torque, which at this time isn't really available on any system except PCs. (though at least we know it's Linux-compatible... for what that's worth) Porting could be an issue, given its extensive use of floating point and reliance on 3D hardware... but I didn't make Gish, so I don't know for certain just how much effort they'd have to put in.

Still, I suppose it's up to Chronic if they want to give it a try. I'd certainly buy it. :)

Gish's tech requirements:
"Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, Linux or OSX 10.1+
AMD, Intel or G3 1000+ Mhz processor
OpenGL video card with 32 mb of memory
256MB of memory"

This seems to be pretty on-par with torque (3D) games. Because developers have the source to the Torque Game Engine (after they buy the lisence), it would be theoretically possible to eliminate some of the special effects, replace floating point with fixed, and tweak it for the GP2X. However, it is unlikely that a direct port would have much chance of success (the memory requirements would have to be scaled down significantly before it is even able to run on the 2x, much less at a playable speed).

Its an awesome game, I agree, It would be rocking to see on the GP2x, but I kind of doubt a port would have a decent shot at success. It would probably be better to just make a "mobile devices" re-make of the game (not using the torque game engine, or at least just taking key parts of it), which would involve quite a bit of work.

And as far as operating system compatibility, Gish runs on windows, mac and linux. Currently running the demo on my laptop, which is running linux. Granted, its running in uber-bullet time, but thats most likely because I've been lazy and havent installed the proper video card drivers, forcing it to run in pure software mode :blink:

BattleCattle,

I may have mistaken a "mobile devices" remake for a port.
That's what I meant when I said keep the physics and lose the opengl hardware dependant stuff.

Back