Rhinestone Hinge Stop

So they didn't patent the idea of a multi-lock hinge as much as just patented their specific design for a multi-lock hinge? I guess that's reasonable of them to do. Trouble is if they came up with a relatively simple, working design for it, openpandora would've had to come up with something that may be more complex and possible less reliable just so they don't make something to similar to the nintendo hinge.

I've never actually seen any proof that they've patented it - just claims (and calls for burnings :blink: ) around here. :p I'm going on what DaveC said in the post I linked to, and applying common sense - since he said that the team could have had a custom-designed hinge made (but it would have taken a long time and been very expensive), this tells me that there isn't a patent on the things. :p

For anyone looking for a cheap, easy, temporary solution to the hinge looseness problem, look no further.

Since my pandora's epic fall onto the cold dark street, my hinge has been loose. The very first thing I did when I noticed this was wedge one of my thin guitar picks under the hinge from the back. It won't stop it completely, but it helps, not only that but now you've also got yerself an expensive and awesome pick holder. :D

This thread is, interestingly enough, now the first Google result for 'nintendo hinge patent'.

My design for a solution would be a plastic sleeve thing which was molded to fit over the curved hinge support where the LED lightpipes are.
It would slide in from the right, and have a molded stop on the rear to hold the lid from opening too far.
You could slide it out when you wanted to open it all the way, and if it were thin enough, wouldn't need to be removed to close the lid.

Too bad I didn't buy that Makerbot machine yet.

You can get simple lock mechanisms from hardware stores like this - but I couldn't find a diagram so I did one in paint. So were they not allowed to put one in without a patent or something? Seems like they have a lot of choices open to them (downside with this simple one is that if you try to force the hinge when locked you will break it) but should be able to be modded by the user surely?
Sorry if I'm tarded - dont have a pandora yet and I don't have any hacking/modding experience.

I'm thinking a circlip might be a solution to stiffen up hinge movement. Hard to say without seeing a Pandora up close though.

http://www.circlip.biz/e-crclip.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circlip

...as long as you were cool with never getting it out once it's in there.

I was thinking about putting a circlip in mine when I get it to stiffen the hinge too :) That or I was gonna cut an opening/slot in a washer and use that. Probably never get it out again without taking the whole pandora apart, but I think it would be worth doing if it would work. I don't like the idea of the screen being all floppy. Actually, that is the only thing that I see wrong with the design that I can't live with if I'm gonna be using my pandora all the time.

Instead of a circlip you could also use some turns of nylon fishing line which you knot around the hinge tube, I think. Worth a try, imo.

Mqark said:
Like a Rhinestone Hinge Stop
stopping hinges from falling past
the point where the stone is glued
and they all came along for the show...

Damnit now that tune's going to be in my head all day.

Well, at least it wasn't just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
iampanis said:
This thread is, interestingly enough, now the first Google result for 'nintendo hinge patent'.

This very message is, interestingly enough, now the first Google result for 'nintendo hinge patent'. Recursive hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back