Any Simpler Way To Get Started?

nvictor

Still Fresh
Hi

I got my Caanoo today and judging by what people have already done, I am guessing I can start my journey with a little C and SDL. Am I wrong or do we all need to download these IDEs and all use C++?

Thanks

a simple search on the forum would sometimes help not asking the same questions over and over again :)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56526-where-do-i-start-to-develop-for-the-caanoo/

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your reply crow_riot,

im sorry if i sounded like i didn't do any research before posting here. i did my best and spent a whole night on it.

i got started (with the instructions that came with the manuals, you know codeblocks and everything) but i was thinking there should be a simpler way since people have ported simple SDL/C games to the caanoo. and that was the reason of my post.

i looked on the SDL forums. they claim there is no official build for Caanoo and one of the main programmer was doing a Pandora port. so my expectation was that people who achieved building SDL/C programs could help me getting started. i have been looking all night.

crow_riot said:
a simple search on the forum would sometimes help not asking the same questions over and over again :)

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56526-where-do-i-start-to-develop-for-the-caanoo/

it depends on what system you are, but either on windows or on linux, you can just grab GPH's toolchain and start deving.

there's no need to use codeblocks, a simple makefile will do the same.

but it's not going to be easy. you need a basic understanding how to compile, how to port.

dunno ... just grab some sources on http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi and try ty compile them?

monstercameron said:
the question is can you get the ide running!

I didn't even bother with that. I just compiled from the supplied chaintools and the make files. I however, can't compile windows executables, which is weird because they also appear in the make files.

Still no direct C/SDL solution though. A main programmer of SDL who is porting it to Pandora told me that it would be better to just use the provided chaintools...

There's SDL inside GPH's provided toolchains. Just use it. There's no need to "find" SDL or whatever you're trying to achieve, you should use the one GPH provides you to have maximum compatibility with their firmware.

And for compiling windows executables, you need a compiler that actually targets windows, right? Just because you're using SDL doesn't mean that your program works on all platforms out of the box.

crow_riot said:
There's SDL inside GPH's provided toolchains. Just use it. There's no need to "find" SDL or whatever you're trying to achieve, you should use the one GPH provides you to have maximum compatibility with their firmware.

And for compiling windows executables, you need a compiler that actually targets windows, right? Just because you're using SDL doesn't mean that your program works on all platforms out of the box.

wait :lol:

it's SDL we are talking about right? i have a compiler (mingw) and it still outputs errors when compiling windows executables but spits out .gpe files fine. i will paste the error tonight when i get home.

oh i really appreciate your replies (some people would haven't ignored my noobs questions for long...)

nvictor said:
crow_riot said:

it's SDL we are talking about right? i have a compiler (mingw) and it still outputs errors when compiling windows executables but spits out .gpe files fine. i will paste the error tonight when i get home.

oh i really appreciate your replies (some people would haven't ignored my noobs questions for long...)

I don't think you can compile for windows using SDL from the SDK, you'll have to get the "non-caanoo" version and point your makefile to it when compiling .exes (I think this is right, I never actually got round to doing this)

badmonkeyfinger said:
nvictor said:
crow_riot said:

I don't think you can compile for windows using SDL from the SDK, you'll have to get the "non-caanoo" version and point your makefile to it when compiling .exes (I think this is right, I never actually got round to doing this)

well that's squared out for me i guess.

FWIW, I just use editor + toolochain -> work; ie: make + gcc and autotools, and good to go. IDE.. optional, only if you want to.

Use GPH's basic SDK to get the toolchain for linux (or linux in VM) and you're pretty much good to go.

jeff

Back