Stuck Getting Started

seanie666

Still Fresh
I'm having some serious trouble getting started coding for the GP2X :unsure: . My first and most major problem is that I haven't coded anything since I was 12 (9 years ago) and I've forgotten almost all the C++ I know :blink: . My second problem is that I don't really know where to start with a Linux platform I've only ever coded for Windows in Visual Studio although I have no problem switching over to linux for the coding as I've been dual booting now for nigh on 10 years.

All I want to do is make a nice side scrolling platform game. I've done the designs for the graphics and layouts for levels but as soon as I come to coding I hit a huge big wall of ignorance.

Can anyone help me get started? any help at all would be apreciated, even somewhere where I can brush up/start afresh on C++ would be a massive help.

Cheers very much.

Seanie x

I'm having some serious trouble getting started coding for the GP2X :unsure: . My first and most major problem is that I haven't coded anything since I was 12 (9 years ago) and I've forgotten almost all the C++ I know :blink: . My second problem is that I don't really know where to start with a Linux platform I've only ever coded for Windows in Visual Studio although I have no problem switching over to linux for the coding as I've been dual booting now for nigh on 10 years.

All I want to do is make a nice side scrolling platform game. I've done the designs for the graphics and layouts for levels but as soon as I come to coding I hit a huge big wall of ignorance.

Can anyone help me get started? any help at all would be apreciated, even somewhere where I can brush up/start afresh on C++ would be a massive help.

Sure. First you need to install one of those toolchains to be able to compile for GP2x. I suggests going first here. I personally decided to use devkitGP2X for not an apparent reason. It just works for me.

Next step would learning of SDL library:
http://www.libsdl.org/

There is even a faster path using Python with pygame (SLD bindings for Python) and for some projects perfomance might be acceptable.
(and if you are going really from zero I suggest Python because you will be able easily test your apps on your PC)

Then just learn and experiment. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back