Any Plans For Future Pandora Improvements?

ferg

Still Fresh
There has been new Cortex A8 processors from Samsung that can do 1GHz and a higher clocked DSP. I was wondering if there were plans to introduce faster Pandoras in the future?

Several years from now, at which point the 1 ghz Cortex A8 will be a joke.
Seriously, don't be worried about what will be in the future. Whatever you are seeing as "the future" now will be outdated by the time they start thinking about a sequel.

Yes, the second batch will have a 25% faster cpu, and 2x the memory. It will also ruin the whole idea behind a unit with uniform hardware, that the developers can try and pry as much hardware performance out of by forking stuff straight to and from the hardware.

No, there isn't anything planed using anything else but whats already jammed in to the unit. IF they don't make a loss on this thing in the end, they MIGHT do a new version, in a couple o f years. Anything in production today will be old and outdated hardware at hat point, so speculating is just silly.
B!

WizardStan said:
Several years from now, at which point the 1 ghz Cortex A8 will be a joke.
Seriously, don't be worried about what will be in the future. Whatever you are seeing as "the future" now will be outdated by the time they start thinking about a sequel.

I understand that by 2011, when the Cortex A9 shows up in dual and quad core forms, the 1GHz A8 will look like a Pentium 4. But there's nothing exactly wrong with updating.

Also, changing the processor for a higher clocked one or adding more RAM isn't exactly breaking the uniform. I don't see how it would hurt modders, it isn't like they'd change the CPU or something.

Upping the CPU speed would probably allow PSP emulation (when they make one).

Last edited by a moderator:
ferg said:
How does hardware need to be uniform
Because it would create a class of people who can run better games than the other class of people.
Also, some of the first batch people are like "hey you can't go adding better hardware to the later ones it's not fair I bought it first" or something.

It's just too much trouble, too many polls and useless threads of us posting the same shit over and over again. OP isn't going to waste time thinking about it.

Just look at the PCs. The hardware gets replace by the next gen so quickly that it's pretty much pointless trying to keep up (unless you have some deep pockets).

This causes a big gap. Either games try to support a large variety of hardware, limiting itself to lowest common denominator, or it targets the hardcore gamers with "updated" hardware.

That's probably one of the things that make consoles desirable for gaming. You at least can expect the same console to play whatever games are made for it during the lifetime of the console (until the next gen one).

The reason for hardware upgrades is that they make money (lots) for the manufacturers. So they market the latest/highest performance hardware as "must have", when in reality it is not. The game designers decide how hard a performance hit will their game cause. But they are "bribed" by hardware manufacturers, sending them exclusive prototype hardware for them to design the "next gen" games, which make the "current gen" hardware (and games) obsolete.

It's somewhat like an arms-race, the only winner is the arms-dealer.

ferg said:
I understand that by 2011, when the Cortex A9 shows up in dual and quad core forms, the 1GHz A8 will look like a Pentium 4. But there's nothing exactly wrong with updating.

Also, changing the processor for a higher clocked one or adding more RAM isn't exactly breaking the uniform. I don't see how it would hurt modders, it isn't like they'd change the CPU or something.

Upping the CPU speed would probably allow PSP emulation (when they make one).
PSP emulation is already theoretically possible, and someone is already working on it. But let's pretend it isn't. Let's assume that we do need a little bit faster processor and more ram. So they release an upgrade and now we can play PSP on the Pandora. Oh, no, we can't. We can only play PSP on those Pandoras that were made after a certain time. But it's just an update! They're still Pandoras! Except that you've split the community, which is absolutely not what they want to do.
When they're ready to do an update, it will be an entirely new platform. They've said several times that they won't do any upgrades that would split the community if they could help it, and I don't see any reason at all why they would want to.

maybe a new pandora will wash the dishes so that spouses don't complain when you shell out for it :)

relliker said:
maybe a new pandora will wash the dishes so that spouses don't complain when you shell out for it :)

...That's just asking for someone to return their pandora because it doesn't work anymore. "Did you do anything out of the ordinary with it?" "Not at all, just some browsing, some emulating... It quit working about the time I used it as a sponge."

lulzfish said:
ferg said:
Because it would create a class of people who can run better games than the other class of people.
Also, some of the first batch people are like "hey you can't go adding better hardware to the later ones it's not fair I bought it first" or something.

It's just too much trouble, too many polls and useless threads of us posting the same shit over and over again. OP isn't going to waste time thinking about it.

So? They got it first. Everyone knows you shouldn't buy a product when it's first released unless you are a shortsighted tard.

Goddamn linux fanboys and their love for weak hardware.

ferg said:
lulzfish said:
ferg said:

So? They got it first. Everyone knows you shouldn't buy a product when it's first released unless you are a shortsighted tard.

I don't mean to be rude, but why are you on these boards again? In fact, do you even know what these boards are? if so you should know that a post like that will get quite a bit of flack from the community.

ferg said:

Goddam Engadget readers basing their hardware knowledge on Qualcomm press releases.

Don't let the door hit you etc.

okay, let's not buy anything right now because there will always be something better. but, oh wait! when we get that very something, there will be something even better coming up. we should wait for that instead. but no, there will be another one even better than that one. let's just keep waiting for the best possible device.

oh, and only retards buy things when first released. if everyone was as smart as me, no one would buy the first release because it obviously sucks balls. everyone knows that they will eventually make better versions even if no one buys the first release, because they have deep pockets like nintendo or something. and nevermind how much work they put into the first release. they need to keep on working to satisfy my demands for a better device, even if it's only one or two people. also goes back to what i said earlier, etc.

Gruso said:
Don't let the door hit you etc.
or just this

edit: i just noticed my sig. haha.

last I heard, they planned to improves the delays, from 2 month(tm) to 2weeks(tm)... we've even seen some BETA announcement using the two weeks(tm) delays... :p

ferg said:

Them's fightin' words. :p

And I don't even love linux!

I would say your post is shortsighted. A hardware upgrade allows developers to slack off and avoid optimization. It's already powerful enough - there's no reason to divide the community.

When they do come up with an upgraded version it should only be the PCB so we only have to buy that instead of an entire new one

I hope someone will establish a removable SoC socket standard in the future, that would push things forward. Imagine you could create a board design for the peripherals and just drop in your SoC of choice.

Back