Any News On Megacd Emulation?

Apparently there are extra processors in the MegaCD, I think someone said you'd need to be emulating like 5 different processors which is just too much for the GP2X to handle.

So bad luck I'm afraid. I would have loved to play Nighttrap on the go, but hey, we'll just have to entertain ourselves with the thousands of other games that are playable :)

Shikaku posted on Dec 3 2006 at 09:07 PM said:
It would be slow and unwieldy like the Saturn: it is basically like 2 Mega Drives.

Really? I was under the impression that the megacd didn't had any special CPU's.... Except maybe the second motorola, but i thought that one takes over the role of the Genesis CPU

Last edited by a moderator:
For emulating MEGACD you must to emulate 2 68000 processors (one 7,5 mhz for Megadrive and another 12,5 mhz for MEGACD), a Z80 (from MD), a special graphic processor (a custom ASIC) which can do hardware graphics rotations and scalling, for example (from MCD), a new sound processor which adds 10 channels to the MegaDrive's YM2612 (which must me also emulated) and the CD controller...

xenon_soft posted on Dec 3 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
For emulating MEGACD you must to emulate 2 68000 processors (one 7,5 mhz for Megadrive and another 12,5 mhz for MEGACD), a Z80 (from MD), a special graphic processor (a custom ASIC) which can do hardware graphics rotations and scalling, for example (from MCD), a new sound processor which adds 10 channels to the MegaDrive's YM2612 (which must me also emulated) and the CD controller...

Like i said, i was under the impression that the 68k in the MegaCD unit takes over from the 68k unit in the genesis unit, in which case it should've been possible.

gen cpu is 7.14mhz (like amiga one) and simple VDP and zilog z80 for sound.With absolutely brilliant picodrive it runs ok at about 150mhz.
to do megacd.
You would have to emulate second m68k 12mhz (like neo geo) along with extra VDP. ISO related things can be done as they are in pcengine.
BUT if it is possible even at gp2x 260mhz - I do not know. I'm a lawyer not coder :)

I'm sceptic but maybe author of picodrive (notaz) will make things clearer?

Possible... I'd say so, playable perhaps. But it's highly likely that it would be a great struggle to get MCD emulation to even that stage. I'm guessing that it would need some magic hackery to get playable speeds out of it, which would probably lose some compatibility... this is an opinion, I'm not an emu Dev! :)

I think it's barely possible, still I doubt someone could accomplish that still in this life, still in a perfect world it could be possible to emulate, we 'just' have to use a dynarec for both 68k CPUs and the second core for all audio (including mp3 decoding for cdda emulation besides 10 channel PCM mixing) and perhaps Z80 last but not least we cross our fingers to emulate video somehow, then we could maybe run something at 260mhz... easy, right? that is just too much work for a normal human being, but don't give up your wishes!

definitely l would love to play Sonic CD / Final Fight CD / etc anywhere I want :)

Ravnos posted on Dec 5 2006 at 04:08 AM said:
You could just play the original Final Fight in MAME...

Forget Final Fight, Lunar is what i care about :p

Ravnos posted on Dec 8 2006 at 09:08 PM said:
You're more likely to be able to play the PSX version of Lunar than the Sega CD version on the 2X.

Time will tell, Lunar's too good a game to let go wasted ;)

Amon_Re posted on Dec 8 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
You're more likely to be able to play the PSX version of Lunar than the Sega CD version on the 2X.
GBA version's getting pretty close... :)

PSX version would be excellent though.

shinneri posted on Dec 9 2006 at 07:00 AM said:
Amon_Re posted on Dec 8 2006 at 03:26 PM said:
GBA version's getting pretty close... :)
I was under the impression that the GBA verson wasn't worth a damn.

Back