Any Jaguar Fans In The House?

Firefox

Website
Visit site
This afternoon I did a very quick port of the GP2X version of the T2K Jaguar emulator to the Pandora.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_R787gREc

Things to bear in mind:
* It's not optimised for the Pandora at all.
* There's no sound (yet).
* There's no frame rate lock (hence the occasional flickering).
* I'm doing pixel quadrupling in software - the GP2X-sized frame buffer looked like an animated postage stamp in the corner of the screen.
* I've still got the smudgy, dusty protective film on the LCD.
* System possibly underclocked to 500MHz? I think?

Yes, I know my camera's an antique. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In a word: awesome. I'm always impressed to see a Jaguar emulated... it always sounds like an insane feat looking at the specs of the machine.

I never had a Jaguar but there were a few games I was interested in. Hopefully they will see similarly good performance once sound and stuff is added. Looking forward to checking it out.

Cool. Always like your work, Firefox. And the Jaguar is one of my favourite systems.

Wow, I ran it next to your GP2x Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YYnPTlHRNE

seems about twice as fast. Did you optimize the code after posting the GP2x video, or are they essentially the same code on different hardware platforms? If so, then thats an impressive indicator of how much more raw power the Pandora has...

ingrin said:
Did you optimize the code after posting the GP2x video, or are they essentially the same code on different hardware platforms? If so, then thats an impressive indicator of how much more raw power the Pandora has...
The code is basically the GP2X version with the MagicEyes MMSP2 chip code ripped out, the safe-but-slow Jag RISC processor emulation code compiled in, and the framebuffer code colouring in four Pandora pixels for every one Jaguar pixel (instead of the 1:1 ratio on the GP2X).

So basically, if this code was running on the GP2X, it'd be going even slower than in the GP2X video. :)

Firefox said:
This afternoon I did a very quick port of the GP2X version of the T2K Jaguar emulator to the Pandora.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_R787gREc

Things to bear in mind:
* It's not optimised for the Pandora at all.
* There's no sound (yet).
* There's no frame rate lock (hence the occasional flickering).
* I'm doing pixel quadrupling in software - the GP2X-sized frame buffer looked like an animated postage stamp in the corner of the screen.
* I've still got the smudgy, dusty protective film on the LCD.
* System possibly underclocked to 500MHz? I think?

Yes, I know my camera's an antique. :)

I love you.

Firefox said:
Nice. It looks very playable already. Forgive my ignorance, but is the emulator specifically built around T2K, or is it a general purpose Jag emulator that is just called "The T2K emulator"?

Chip said:
Firefox said:
Nice. It looks very playable already. Forgive my ignorance, but is the emulator specifically built around T2K, or is it a general purpose Jag emulator that is just called "The T2K emulator"?

AFAIK, it was specifically made to play Tempest 2000. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though, I don't necessarily have any facts. :D

Chip said:
Nice. It looks very playable already.

It's going faster than full speed. You really need the sound to get the full Tempest 2000 effect, though.

Chip said:
Forgive my ignorance, but is the emulator specifically built around T2K, or is it a general purpose Jag emulator that is just called "The T2K emulator"?
Dio originally wrote it just to emulate Tempest 2000 and the VLM (Virtual Light Machine sound-to-light ROM that came with the CD attachment), but later expanded it to be a more general Jaguar emulator (some games run well on it, some don't).

The codebase that the GP2X version is based on is quite old; I just used it to hack together this quick demo because it needed the least amount of work to port to the Pandora.

The proper Pandora version of the emulator will almost certainly be based on the latest official T2K code base. Dio's also expressed in interest in me porting Emu, his new multi-system emulator (the Jaguar is one of the systems it emulates).

Firefox said:
The proper Pandora version of the emulator will almost certainly be based on the latest official T2K code base. Dio's also expressed in interest in me porting Emu, his new multi-system emulator (the Jaguar is one of the systems it emulates).
Glad to hear it :) Thanks again for the great demo.

Firefox, It makes me happy to see a dev release a video, and I'm glad to know that you've already got yourself a Pandora to code for. ^_^

-God Ginrai

The Jaguar was a class console, and it looks like it is going to run very well indeed :)
At last we will soon have a console that has enough buttons to do the huge controller justice :)

Back