Any development I could do to help...

RuneIV

... without actually having a Pandora?

Guess I could cross-compile for ARM but I'd have no way of knowing how it performs.

I'm fluent in a bunch of programming and scripting languages but been mostly working with C/C++, Python and Bash recently.

If you do reasonably portable code you could probably find some people here willing to help port it and test it for you.

... without actually having a Pandora?

Guess I could cross-compile for ARM but I'd have no way of knowing how it performs.

I'm fluent in a bunch of programming and scripting languages but been mostly working with C/C++, Python and Bash recently.
I do most of my python development (gtk2, pango, cairo) directly on my computer then package it for Pandora and it usually works fine. So yes, you can definitely develop for Pandora without having one.

By the way, I would be very interested to know how you setup your cross-compiling environment.  And I know I am not the only one. If you could describe how you set it up, it would extremely useful and I would want to share that on Pandoralive.info. 

This is really old. We need something more recent and up to date. 
DJWillis have documented a way to get a standard toolchain and ivanovic script is a documetation by itself.

Nobody stop you from releasing a newer and more up-to-date toolchain...

It's entirely possible to write software for the Pandora without actually having one. I believe Ziz still does so for his engine and PandoraPanic! was developed before any normal customer received their Pandoras (With Pickle testing and helping to debug platform specific issues on his devboard.)

All you need is the Cross compiler and someone willing to do some final testing/debugging - That can be easily sorted by posting a thread in the dev section or jumping on the dev channel on IRC.

And also knowing some specifics of the Pandora helps (Game button default map, resolution, HW available.)

It's entirely possible to write software for the Pandora without actually having one. I believe Ziz still does so for his engine and PandoraPanic! was developed before any normal customer received their Pandoras (With Pickle testing and helping to debug platform specific issues on his devboard.)
I developed DinoDefense without owning (or having access to) a Pandora. I'm sure there are several devs that have done similar things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, thanks everyone for the information.

I could take a look at updating the toolchain script if it is needed.

Otherwise I'd be interested in bringing Kivy to the Pandora.

This is really old. We need something more recent and up to date. 
DJWillis have documented a way to get a standard toolchain and ivanovic script is a documetation by itself.

Nobody stop you from releasing a newer and more up-to-date toolchain...
Nobody stops me, certainly, but I don't have the time to do everything by myself. I'm already running a blog, porting apps now and then, testing software for Pandoralive, so I expect some other people can jump in and fill the gaps I can't focus on :)

I would like to help out with the Windows tool chain side of things, I did write some notes many moons ago:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55711-getting-cross-compiling-up-and-running-on-windows/?p=900905

However what I use as a cross platform tool chain is probably not the same as everyone wants. I typically just build my own games, using the same build system I use for all platforms (JamPlus). It works nicely for this, but for people wanting to cross compile existing open source projects, it is a lot harder on Windows (I have something which works to some extent, using Cygwin, but it has many issues, including symlinks not working meaning you have to duplicate libraries, an issue which I posted a question on this very forum, but didn't find any solution).

If I ever have time, I'll see if I can put something about my build environment together for pandoralive

I would like to help out with the Windows tool chain side of things, I did write some notes many moons ago:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55711-getting-cross-compiling-up-and-running-on-windows/?p=900905

However what I use as a cross platform tool chain is probably not the same as everyone wants. I typically just build my own games, using the same build system I use for all platforms (JamPlus). It works nicely for this, but for people wanting to cross compile existing open source projects, it is a lot harder on Windows (I have something which works to some extent, using Cygwin, but it has many issues, including symlinks not working meaning you have to duplicate libraries, an issue which I posted a question on this very forum, but didn't find any solution).

If I ever have time, I'll see if I can put something about my build environment together for pandoralive
I am actually not interested in a toolchain on windows but on Linux x86. I hate developing on windows for a number of reasons.

I am actually not interested in a toolchain on windows but on Linux x86. I hate developing on windows for a number of reasons.
Amen to that. But to each his own. I know many developers who swear only by MS Windows and especially Visual Studio.

Amen to that. But to each his own. I know many developers who swear only by MS Windows and especially Visual Studio.
Those people should be dragged to the street and stoned.. laughed at and ridiculed..

JamPlus runs from Linux too, so I imagine I'd be able to build my Pandora applications from a Linux box, would just need the compiler (I don't know offhand what the best alternative is to CodeSourcery for *nix). JamPlus generates workspaces so you can build from various IDEs (Visual Studio, command line, Code Blocks, Xcode, etc.)

As for Visual Studio, I guess it depends what you are trying to do. If you are trying to repackage some Java app as a PND then the choice of IDE is going to make little to no difference. If you are doing large scale games development, your choice of IDE (and therefore debugger in some cases) becomes more interesting. I am not going to stick my head out and say which is better, I actually use several for various reasons, I know which I would use when solving a tricky problem, and I know which I loathe. Typically in the professional games development circuit there is a general consensus which matches my feelings, that doesn't mean I am right at all, could be we are all going down the wrong route!

Well, I have some dev stuff that only runs in Windows, so an up-to-date  Windows based toolchain would be most useful.

Back